Tunnel Falls Wonderland of Ice

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
RobinB

Re: Tunnel Falls Wonderland of Ice

Post by RobinB » January 7th, 2017, 4:33 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:I've used regular crampons for outings similar to this but the new equipment now available is better for this - plus, these work fine on lighter hiking boots. This is what I've been using:

https://www.rei.com/product/890608/kaht ... ion-system

Thanks, Don! I went yesterday with Microspikes - didn't make it nearly as far as you did, but it was beautiful all the same.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » January 7th, 2017, 6:21 pm

What a fun thread! Don, you're clearly obsessed, but there is some value to doing the same thing every day (e.g. your documentation of the crown point ice building up day-by-day). Santa got me microspikes, and I'm finding them an interesting alternative. But if I knew I was going to encounter ice like that, I'd still choose to carry crampons.

I went ice hunting today, and it was honestly mediocre, but I wanted to get off the beaten track and explore new ground (TR pending).

Peabody

Post by Peabody » January 8th, 2017, 7:26 am

My favorite quote from the video........."Well that was sketchy." Thanks for sharing.
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » January 8th, 2017, 10:42 am

Don Nelson,I would love to hear more as this storm changes. More pics are good.
Woodswalker aka Colette Grace

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 10th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Webfoot wrote:Your post inspired me to go looking for icicles on Friday morning. I didn't have the nerve to try Eagle Creek (no railings!) so I went to Elowah instead where I ran into kepPNW and woodswalker. (Hi again!)

By the way Hillsound Trail Crampons have longer points than Microspikes as Karl drew my attention to when he asked how I liked mine. (Fine, but without anything to compare to.) Did you choose Microspikes over these?
I didn't know about the Hillsound units until you mentioned it. I think if I need longer spikes, I'll just use my regular climbing crampons though. They will work on just about anything.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 10th, 2017, 6:50 pm

woodswalker wrote:Don Nelson,I would love to hear more as this storm changes. More pics are good.
Hi Colette, nice meeting you on the trail with Karl! I just posted another report with more photos. I stayed in Cascade Locks Sat. night and had so much fun (Pool, hot tub way better than car camping!!) so I stayed Sunday night too.

I'll post a video on the new report of the conditions at the locks as I set out for my Sunday hikes.
Video will be here once it is uploaded:https://youtu.be/DrcKkQSqkEQ
-Don

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » January 11th, 2017, 7:42 am

Don Nelsen wrote:
woodswalker wrote:Don Nelson,I would love to hear more as this storm changes. More pics are good.
Hi Colette, nice meeting you on the trail with Karl! I just posted another report with more photos. I stayed in Cascade Locks Sat. night and had so much fun (Pool, hot tub way better than car camping!!) so I stayed Sunday night too.

I'll post a video on the new report of the conditions at the locks as I set out for my Sunday hikes.
Video will be here once it is uploaded:https://youtu.be/DrcKkQSqkEQ
-Don
Thanks Don!!! Woodswalker

DouggieFir

Post by DouggieFir » January 12th, 2017, 12:43 am

Looks so beautiful when it's iced over like that! Wow!

Peder

Post by Peder » January 12th, 2017, 7:39 pm

Don Nelsen wrote: I stayed in Cascade Locks Sat. night and had so much fun (Pool, hot tub way better than car camping!!) so I stayed Sunday night too.
Getting soft in middle age? :shock:
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 12th, 2017, 7:59 pm

Peder wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote: I stayed in Cascade Locks Sat. night and had so much fun (Pool, hot tub way better than car camping!!) so I stayed Sunday night too.
Getting soft in middle age? :shock:
Yeah, so right. It is a sobering thing to realize one is softening up and has probably already lived half his life. I must say though, that hot tub at the Best Western in Cascade Locks was absolutely wonderful. Cooled off afterwards in the swimming pool and had a great nights sleep. The next morning the weather was daunting but I had my priorities!

Weather conditions Sunday morning: link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrcKkQSqkEQ

Hey Peder, we must get together for some awesome adventure soon!!

dn