Tunnel Falls Wonderland of Ice

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
RobinB

Re: Tunnel Falls Wonderland of Ice

Post by RobinB » January 5th, 2017, 10:07 pm

Beautiful, thanks for posting! Were spikes sufficient, or did you need proper crampons?

mountainkat

Post by mountainkat » January 5th, 2017, 10:37 pm

Wow, amazing photos! Thanks for sharing them!

It was nice meeting you on the Wahkeena Trail yesterday!

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » January 5th, 2017, 10:47 pm

:shock:

Whoa. That's some impressive rime around Tunnel Falls. I assume you were using Microspikes - how was walking around all that ice with the dropoffs nearby and the chains frozen?
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

arieshiker

Post by arieshiker » January 6th, 2017, 7:11 am

By the time I got to your images of Twister Falls, I realized my vocabulary was wholly inadequate - so to quote Charlie Brown: "Good Grief!"

Hagbard Celine

Post by Hagbard Celine » January 6th, 2017, 8:40 am

Congrats on the achievement....Because what you did was so much more than a mere hike. Going from tunnel to crossover must have been especially harrowing. Thanks for sharing! :mrgreen:
“I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.”
― Booker T. Washington

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 6th, 2017, 9:03 am

If you go Saturday, you may not come back. Frozen in by freezing rain. I bet you'll have stuff to survive a few days...

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 6th, 2017, 9:10 pm

RobinB wrote:Beautiful, thanks for posting! Were spikes sufficient, or did you need proper crampons?
I've used regular crampons for outings similar to this but the new equipment now available is better for this - plus, these work fine on lighter hiking boots. This is what I've been using:

https://www.rei.com/product/890608/kaht ... ion-system

They fit great, don't shift around on your boots and offer great traction. There is virtually no difference in feel between having these on and just using boots with no traction devices. Also, though I've walked several miles on dirt and rock, they show no wear at all. they appear to be made out of stainless steel.

I just broke this pair in this week and as of today, have hiked over 40 miles with them on.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » January 6th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Beautiful shots Don!
Woodswalker
Last edited by woodswalker on January 6th, 2017, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 6th, 2017, 9:17 pm

retired jerry wrote:If you go Saturday, you may not come back. Frozen in by freezing rain. I bet you'll have stuff to survive a few days...
I took care of the potential problem today and booked a stay at the Best Western in Cascade Locks. Looking forward to an adventure!

I've packed the SUV with enough gear/food, etc. for three or four days. The plan is to hike Eagle Creek tomorrow then hole up in the motel for the first bout with the weather. If the road is open, I'll come back on I-84 and if not, SR14. If I get stuck on SR14, I can deal with it as long as I have to.

dn

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 6th, 2017, 9:20 pm

arieshiker wrote:By the time I got to your images of Twister Falls, I realized my vocabulary was wholly inadequate - so to quote Charlie Brown: "Good Grief!"
Thanks for the note. "Good Grief" is what I thought as I emerged from the south end of the tunnel!

dn