Fernhill Wetlands

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
markesc

Fernhill Wetlands

Post by markesc » December 31st, 2016, 8:51 pm

A neat little place by Forest Grove!

Great spot for all day bird photography (can be paired with Jackson Bottom as well); Be prepared for the sound of construction as they're doing continual improvements, but there's still opportunity for photos.

Enjoy!
IMG_2558.jpg
IMG_3962c.jpg
IMG_4826b.jpg
IMG_2965c.jpg
IMG_5710c.jpg
IMG_4041b.jpg
IMG_4986c.jpg
IMG_4074b.jpg
IMG_4139b.jpg
These two are from Dawson Creek (by the Hillsboro Airporto):
IMG_1888b.jpg
IMG_2032b.jpg

bobcat

Re: Fernhill Wetlands

Post by bobcat » January 2nd, 2017, 9:08 am

Great photos as usual. My wife and I were out there the other day checking on the "improvements". It was gloomy (temperature inversion), but there were thousands of fowl on the waters. It looks like your photos were taken a few weeks back, though.

Peder

Post by Peder » January 2nd, 2017, 3:23 pm

Thanks Chris! I put it on my map, it will be an excellent add-on when visiting Jackson Bottom. I know that to get photos of butterflies, people refrigerate them, so they don't move. I think you use a freezer before you shoot your bird pictures!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

markesc

Post by markesc » January 4th, 2017, 5:32 pm

bobcat wrote:Great photos as usual. My wife and I were out there the other day checking on the "improvements". It was gloomy (temperature inversion), but there were thousands of fowl on the waters. It looks like your photos were taken a few weeks back, though.
Yeah I've not gone back over there since they decided to put tons of gravel on the roads. Will prob head out again for some updated pics. They have had all sorts of volunteers doing work there, and I was told eventually there will be a visitors center like jackson bottom.

markesc

Post by markesc » January 4th, 2017, 5:36 pm

Peder wrote:Thanks Chris! I put it on my map, it will be an excellent add-on when visiting Jackson Bottom. I know that to get photos of butterflies, people refrigerate them, so they don't move. I think you use a freezer before you shoot your bird pictures!
Ha! You just don't see the tons of out of focused / missed shots. It's just a time in the field equation, but I appreciate the challenge as it's less time in the car and honestly: way less crowds as it's doesn't appeal to impatient checklist lifestyle people, so I actually enjoy more solitude doing wildlife photos than hikes since everyone has decided to move here :roll: The only downside is when people bring the screaming kids because of the lack of developers putting in public parks, but they typically don't hangout long especially if it's cold/rainy or late in the day.

Any of the newer camera bodies and a good lens will get you good results most of the time. I've tried the Sigma 50-500, canon 100-400 v1, tamron 150-600, and now use a canon 100-400 v2; So there are LOTS of lens options compared to years ago, and you don't have to spend $8k (I still want a Canon 500 F4 v2!!).

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » January 5th, 2017, 1:56 am

What do you think of the Sony RX10 III? That appears to be one of the most compact and least expensive (but still expensive) ways into serious telephoto capability.