Tamanawas Falls Redux (Dec 28)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Splintercat

Tamanawas Falls Redux (Dec 28)

Post by Splintercat » December 29th, 2016, 12:40 pm

Saw this nice report on the Tamanawas Falls trail conditions (packed snowshoe track), so took the opportunity to head up there yesterday. Based on the earlier report, I left my snowshoes in the car and went with just boot traction -- and that turned out to be the best way to travel, even with a few inches of snow that had come down since the first report. There were about 20 cars at the trailhead, which is 20 more than there used to be not all that long ago on a winter weekend, but the bonus was nice, walkable snowshoe track all the way to the falls. There was less snowpack than I imagined -- 2 or 3 feet -- which made the sections through the alder thickets a bit easier to navigate. The rockslide section was also very manageable, though my take is to go right at a fork in the snowshoe track in the middle of the talus slope and work your way up to the actual trail -- the left fork requires a slick climb up a slope just inside the tree line that was giving snowshoers trouble.

Some photos from the trip...

Cold Spring Creek looking lovely in snow:

Pano from the middle of the big talus slope -- the better route is the upper one, on the left in this photo:

Sun on the cliffs above the big talus slope:

Tamanawas Falls looking very nice, indeed:

Took a bit of a slide on my back while trying to climb up the slope next to the falls... and snapped a tripod leg! Doh! :roll:

Some old guy and his semi-functional tripod... ;)

One last stop on the bridge over the East Fork Hood River as dusk approached....

A beautiful day for a snow hike!

Tom :)

neilsonw

Re: Tamanawas Falls Redux (Dec 28)

Post by neilsonw » December 30th, 2016, 2:40 am

Hey, cool! Great pictures, looks like it got a fresh coat. ;)

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 4th, 2017, 6:14 pm

Thanks! You inspired my trip! (along with a few dozen other folks, based on the cars at the trailhead..!)

Tom :D

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » January 5th, 2017, 12:28 am

I got the impression earlier that the rock slide was dangerous and should not be crossed; now I am seeing multiple trip reports. Is this stable enough now? I have trail crampons.

Hagbard Celine

Post by Hagbard Celine » January 5th, 2017, 11:24 am

Webfoot wrote:I got the impression earlier that the rock slide was dangerous and should not be crossed; now I am seeing multiple trip reports. Is this stable enough now? I have trail crampons.
The slide area is under deep packed snow so the area is probably safer now then after the thaw, no crampons needed, but like another poster said, stick to the right at the fork at the beginning of the bolder field, the left is a little sketchy.
“I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.”
― Booker T. Washington

romann

Post by romann » January 10th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Great photos, so nice with fresh snow still on the trees. I've never been to Tamanawas (is it always crowded there?) - really need to check it out someday.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 10th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Tom, beautiful photos! Thanks.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller