Eagle Creek Metlako Falls Viewpoint

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BigBear

Re: Eagle Creek Metlako Falls Viewpoint

Post by BigBear » January 4th, 2017, 10:36 am

4 1/2 Mile Bridge: I'm thinking the timing was more like the mid to late-1980s. I first hiked this trail in 1987 or 1988 and on one of those early explorations, the new bridge was being helicoptered in. My memory was that I had hiked across the Eagle Creek downstream of the current bridge on my initial hikes, and that the downstream access did not go over the rocky approach on the downstream side that it does now. There have been a lot of trails and a lot of miles over the years, but I am certain that the trail along the upstream wall was quite worn to its downstream end at that time and that my first crossing of the creek at this location was prior to the river changing course and creating the island where the old bridge is today.

miah66

Post by miah66 » January 4th, 2017, 12:28 pm

retired jerry wrote: It's easy to be critical of Forest Service management, but if you see the complicated system they work under and the limited funding it makes more sense.
I am mostly just critical of Mt HOOD NATIONAL FOREST SERVICE. They seem to be one of the consistently terrible branches of the agency.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 4th, 2017, 2:03 pm

miah66 wrote:
retired jerry wrote: It's easy to be critical of Forest Service management, but if you see the complicated system they work under and the limited funding it makes more sense.
I am mostly just critical of Mt HOOD NATIONAL FOREST SERVICE. They seem to be one of the consistently terrible branches of the agency.
It's just tragic when you compare them to the surrounding forests, yeah. Not sure they're the worst of the worst, but I've not run into one that was worse.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 4th, 2017, 2:10 pm

What's wrong with Mt Hood National Forest?

It took forever to replace the Eliot crossing, but they finally did it pretty good. That is a difficult canyon. They tried to replace it before, but then another flood took that out.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 4th, 2017, 2:15 pm

retired jerry wrote:What's wrong with Mt Hood National Forest?
You say that as though it's the only place you ever hike? Boy, I'd like to hope it's not a case of familiarity breeding contempt, but compared to Gifford Pinchot, Willamette, or Deschutes (just to keep it local), they're just abysmal. All of those take far better care of their facilities, and seem to have far more reasonable, engaged, and adept employees.
Karl

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 4th, 2017, 2:39 pm

BigBear wrote:4 1/2 Mile Bridge: I'm thinking the timing was more like the mid to late-1980s. I first hiked this trail in 1987 or 1988 and on one of those early explorations, the new bridge was being helicoptered in. My memory was that I had hiked across the Eagle Creek downstream of the current bridge on my initial hikes, and that the downstream access did not go over the rocky approach on the downstream side that it does now. There have been a lot of trails and a lot of miles over the years, but I am certain that the trail along the upstream wall was quite worn to its downstream end at that time and that my first crossing of the creek at this location was prior to the river changing course and creating the island where the old bridge is today.
You may well be correct. I hiked it for the first time in '79 or '80 and thought I had spotted the broken bridge but it could have been a later hike. Back then, I didn't hike, I ran, so missed a lot of the details.

Thanks for the input.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 4th, 2017, 2:41 pm

retired jerry wrote:What's wrong with Mt Hood National Forest?
More confirmation bias (for me)...
justpeachy wrote:Speaking of which, the Willamette National Forest has these really nice sno park nice trail maps on its websites. On the Maxwell Butte page they even have GPS files! I find, in general, that the quality of data and information on the WNF website is vastly superior to what you find on the Mt. Hood National Forest site.
Cite: http://www.PortlandHikers.org/forum/vie ... =8&t=24934
Karl

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 4th, 2017, 2:43 pm

BTW, the Metlako closure signs went up at the TH yesterday afternoon and a couple more were posted along the trail at the viewpoint junction about 10:30 this morning:

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 4th, 2017, 2:46 pm

This just in...
Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area - U.S. Forest Service wrote:Hikers, steer clear of the overlook at Metlako Falls, located near MP 1.5 on Eagle Creek Trail, which is closed until further notice. A landslipe has created a hazardous, exposed dropoff, and parts of the overlook and approach trail are gone. The main trail is still passable but use extreme caution in the area, keep your dog on leash, and it's not a good idea to bring the young ones with you.

Facebook Post
Karl

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 4th, 2017, 5:42 pm

"You say that as though it's the only place you ever hike? Boy, I'd like to hope it's not a case of familiarity breeding contempt, but compared to Gifford Pinchot, Willamette, or Deschutes (just to keep it local), they're just abysmal. All of those take far better care of their facilities, and seem to have far more reasonable, engaged, and adept employees."

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just wondering what it was about Mt Hood that's mismanaged

Mt Hood is closer to population so gets more visitors

Forests on the west side of the cascade are more overgrown because they get more rain, in Deschutes the vegetation is more sparse so it's easier to keep trails clear

I've met rangers on Three Sisters three times, Mt Hood only once even though I go there more so there must be more Rangers there - in Willamette National Forest. One of the Three Sisters rangers asked me for my self issued permit, I said it was in my pack do I really need to take my pack off and show it to you, yes I did. They were just a bit authoritarian in general. No big deal but less reasonable than the one Mt Hood ranger that said hi and we talked just a bit. But any difference isn't statistically significant.

The campgrounds seem pretty similar. Fairly well kept up.

I'd say all the National Forests are similar, I can't really think of experiences that would lead me to think one is better than another.

Olympic National Park seems like they're better maintained and have more people and they're friendlier, more informative. The restroom at Kalaloch for example, has running water and is open year round. And Mora. And Heart-of-the-hills.