12/13/16 - Ellowah Falls Snow Hike (+historic route updates)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
TravelerTed

12/13/16 - Ellowah Falls Snow Hike (+historic route updates)

Post by TravelerTed » December 13th, 2016, 8:15 pm

I've been visiting the gorge as much as possible the past few days trying to get in snowy views before it all melts away. Haven't had much time for trails but I managed to swing a stop by Ellowah Falls this morning.

Arriving at the John B Yeon parking area around 7, the lot was still snow covered saved for one spot but just as I prepared to hit the trail, the snow crews came by and had me move to the highway while they cleared things out. Still plenty of snow left around the road but most of the spots are open here (more on other THs at the end).

Since the lot was snow covered it should be no surprise that the entire trail is as well. On a visit to Multnomah Falls over the weekend the snow was really soft and slushy but this morning with temps from 34-36, it was perfect going up the hill towards the falls.

Coming down the backside with with the small switchbacks, the snow was a combination of icy and slushy. Microspikes made quick work of the terrain but I'm sure there would have been some sliding around without them.

Arriving at the falls, the ice that I'd seen a few shots of from the weekend has melted away almost entirely (there's spots on the cliffs but not much on the trail) though there's plenty of snow left around the falls. Despite the roaring flow levels I lucked out and light winds meant I could stand pretty much anywhere but right on the bridge and only get lightly misted.

I did not continue any further on the surrounding trails but instead went back down the historic road all the way to the vista house. While the road is totally clear now, there's plenty of snow build up along the sides. This obvious narrows some of the already tight spots and has cut off most of the TH parking lots with a spot or two cut out along the way. Two or three spots by Horsetail (northbound shoulder), one good spot by Oneonta (northbound, past the tunnel) and maybe some low snow elsewhere. Multnomah is plowed both off the historic road and the highway 84 exit though there's piles of snow all around blocking up many of the walkways and a fair amount of the overflow spots. Wahkeena Falls is partially plowed and most of the good spots (southbound side, right by the falls) are clear but nothing around it. Everything from Angel's south was accessible and the road up to the vista house is a little wet but otherwise clear after all the ice from this weekend.

Also went for a quick hike up Wahkeena which is totally snowed over and pretty slick. That's not a real problem early on but as you near the the bridge, the snow has piled up over the trail and the walkway gets pretty narrow so again, good spot to make use of traction devices. Multnomah is the same with piles of snow below the bridge and above in spots.