Black Friday Government Cove Garbage Cleanup- 11-25-16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Black Friday Government Cove Garbage Cleanup- 11-25-16

Post by Sean Thomas » December 1st, 2016, 1:25 am

Sixteen awesome people opted out this holiday season for a Black Friday garbage cleanup at Government Cove in the Columbia River Gorge. We hauled away 300lbs of trash and recycling filling 34 garbage bags in about 3 hours of work, most of it within tossing distance of the river. Just two weeks ago I shared a post on the PH Facebook group asking if anyone would be interested in doing an informal cleanup near Government Cove. Long time OH super legend Tom Kloster reached out and suggested contacting Solve, a non-profit geared toward keeping Oregon "clean and green". I had heard of Solve but never thought of contacting them for an effort like this, upon doing so I was nothing short of impressed. They supplied us with garbage bags, gloves, haz waste containers and reimbursed up to 100 dollars for dump fees and disposal costs. Even better, Solve offered to reach out to the appropriate agencies to make sure we had the green light. Turns out it was up to the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs, as the Wasco Indians who once called this land home, are a part of. They were apparently "ecstatic and amazed that someone would want to do that" and apologized for not being able to make the two hour drive to come unlock the gate. Trash bags in hand, the group met up just a few miles east of Cascade Locks near the Herman Creek TH and the little known Government Cove at 8am the day after Thanksgiving:

ImageIMG_5283 by Sean Lawson, on Flickr

The little bay known as Government Cove sits right between mp47 on I-84 and Quarry Island, or Government Rock(both seem to be unofficial names). It's a site that doesn't see a lot respect from most of its visitors. Road grades, a rock quarry and(what was) a seemingly endless amount of garbage seemed to be the coves biggest highlight. But it offers so much more than that, hiking and rock climbing, beautiful views of the river and a haven for birds, as in just the first few minutes of being there we spotted geese, cormorants, woodpeckers and several species of duck. A good portion of the garbage was right next to the gate(shocker)

ImageIMG_5223 by Sean Lawson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5237 by Sean Lawson, on Flickr

I fumbled over a brief safety speech, had volunteers fill out some waivers and offered everyone some cookies before we split off into groups to do some good in the world :) After filling a couple bags by the jetty and gate Joie and I headed off for the shoreline. We must have pulled 2-300 shotgun shells off this little rocky beach:

ImageIMG_5257 by Sean Lawson, on Flickr

After meeting up back at the gate we took a few pictures, said our goodbyes and loaded up the sante fe with the 34 trash bags :shock: :lol: As Joie and I headed to the dump I was feeling pretty impacted by what we'd just experienced. On one hand you'd just witnessed another example of the sometimes depressing and irresponsible nature of mankind, while at the same time sharing that experience with others who wished to reverse that shortfall. The fourteen people pictured in the opening photo all came out to help after reading a Facebook post, the other two were a father and son who registered through Solve. Although the difference we made in the world was small, we kept 300 lbs of garbage out of the river(and potentially the ocean) and proved that even picking up someone else's trash can be fun(and pretty damn funny!). I think the only real victory in this battle will come when the trash isn't left in the first place. In terms of efforts like this it's a war we cant win, but we can educate and spread good stewardship practices going forward, and that's our best bet at turning the tide on an issue like this. It needs to be common knowledge in every household that garbage, especially near water ways is totally unacceptable. One would think it already is, but if that's the case the idea certainly isn't being put into practice. So even if we cant get every last piece of trash that's already out there, we can shift the perspective in our culture that says(by whatever means) that this behavior is ok in the first place.

retired jerry

Re: Black Friday Government Cove Garbage Cleanup- 11-25-16

Post by retired jerry » December 1st, 2016, 6:32 am

Wow! Awesome work!!! (I was out of town - weasel :) )

Amazing how that came together.

I occasionally stop there on the way to or from somewhere for a bite to eat. Don't see many other people. Nice little spot. Next time I'll get out and explore more.

Chase

Post by Chase » December 1st, 2016, 7:33 am

Well done! Good to see a community effort.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » December 1st, 2016, 9:50 am

What a fabulous idea and such great turnout. Good work by all involved. I was out of town that day too, but we did pick up beer bottles, cans and other waste along the hikes we did and I'm trying to make a bigger effort to do that every time I go out.

Bravo! :D
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

miah66

Post by miah66 » December 1st, 2016, 9:52 am

Ah, so that's what that spot is called. I stopped there once after a hike to see what it was. I thought it would make a nice little park. Great job putting this together. I hope to make it out to one if you organize another.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » December 1st, 2016, 1:32 pm

I have been to this place before. I did not realize that:

1. It is tribal land. It is not shown as such on the Protected Areas Viewer.

2. It was so dirty. Is this 300 pounds of trash a recent development?

Thanks for the clean-up and I hope people note the difference and stop treating it like a landfill.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 1st, 2016, 2:52 pm

it was pretty trashy when I was there, but I pretty much stayed in my car so didn't see very much

I suspect that some people may use it as a party place?

I bet there are fishermen there.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » December 1st, 2016, 9:43 pm

Thanks for organizing this, Sean! It was a fun day and nice to see such a noticeable impact on the environment when we were finished :)

PS: I am still finding blackberry brambles in my body from my bouldering efforts in that little ditch off the main road.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

arieshiker

Post by arieshiker » December 2nd, 2016, 7:30 am

Sean Thomas wrote: Just two weeks ago I shared a post on the PH Facebook group asking if anyone would be interested in doing an informal cleanup near Government Cove.
Awesome work Sean and group. Next time you organize something along these lines could you post on here as well as Faceplace....some of us actually still don't use FB and likely never will. I just had back surgery, so couldn't have come anyway, but I might've shown up just to work the camera, kibbitz and get a signed photo with Sean and Joie Legend. Plus it would've given me one more thing to bitch about not being able to do for two weeks.

Amazing how heavy those expended shotgun shells must be that the people who blast them can't (won't) pick up their own waste. I've also picked up numerous hulls out near Lost Corral at Cottonwood Canyon, but they do allow hunting out there.
Last edited by arieshiker on December 3rd, 2016, 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » December 2nd, 2016, 10:42 pm

Thanks all, it's nice to see some familiar faces again :) My apologies on not posting it here, I was out of the country when I got a big kick in the butt to do something meaningful with my life for a change(as in the day after November 8th :lol: and forgot to post it here :( Next time I will most definitely post in the weeks leading up. Which leads to my next question, what other locations would benefit from a cleanup effort like this one? I'm open to all suggestions and am totally happy to organize, haul the trash away and do the paperwork with solve etc(they even give you the ego inflating title of event coordinator :P :ugeek: :roll:

So, if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear about them! This is an issue where we can all make a huge difference, especially near waterways but really anywhere for that matter. Also, Government Cove desperately needs an invasive plant removal effort, as Keri pointed out, it's covered in blackberries and I too am still picking the thorns out of my hands lol :lol: But that would make the garbage cleanup look like a walk in the park. The rep from Solve even asked if I wanted to lead such an effort on the same day as the garbage cleanup! We will need an army for that one, but it's totally doable if we have the right mindset, plan of action, tools, a large truck to haul the debris and enough "blood thirsty for blackberry" volunteers ;)