Indian Corral on T-Day: My first (intentional) snow camping

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
texasbb

Indian Corral on T-Day: My first (intentional) snow camping

Post by texasbb » November 25th, 2016, 6:28 pm

In lieu of turkey this year, I decided to spend a day in a place I'm thankful for. I've been wanting to give snow camping a try for a while, and the late onset of winter this year seemed like a perfect opportunity to do a shakedown of my gear and know-how. I chose Indian Corral in the Wenaha-Tucannon Wilderness because it's a familiar place I figured I could navigate with my eyes closed. I made it a one-night test.

I headed out a little before noon on the day before Thanksgiving. The forecast had called for 3 to 6 inches of snow the night before and a possible additional inch tonight, along with temps in the mid-20s and winds 20 to 30 mph plus gusts. That all turned out to be dead on.

Down low the trail was mostly muddy, but by about 4000 feet, the snow was fairly consistent.

Lots of watery mud down low

By about 5000ft the trail was mostly obscured

When I reached the ridgetop at about 5700ft, there was an average of 8 or 9 inches on the ground. It was windy and maybe 27 degrees.

Arriving at Indian Corral

Saddle just above Dunlap Spring

Camp would be in those trees, middle left

It snowed on me lightly most of the evening and off and on all night, though it probably dropped less than an inch out on the open ridgetops. It was low- to mid-20s when I got up, and I hadn't managed to keep much of my water liquid, so I snacked for breakfast, broke camp, and headed out.

Campsite. The Notch shed the dry snow easily.

Wannabe sunrise

Looking south toward Oregon Butte

Looking north along the Rattlesnake Trail

Down low, most of the mud had crusted over and was hard and gravelly to walk on.

Muddy ice patterns

Icy mud patterns

I learned a lot about my gear and technique; looking forward to a more serious outing. I guess my greatest fear was confirmed: it's a LONG NIGHT when darkness hits at 5:00PM.

Chase

Re: Indian Corral on T-Day: My first (intentional) snow camp

Post by Chase » November 27th, 2016, 6:46 am

Looks like a quiet time. Early darkness means long sleep so long as you stay warm.

Charley

Post by Charley » November 27th, 2016, 7:56 am

Handwarmers and some podcasts on an iPod help me get through those long nights in the snow. It's a special experience!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

louisebartels

Post by louisebartels » November 27th, 2016, 11:20 am

Love those ice mud photos!

texasbb

Post by texasbb » November 27th, 2016, 12:48 pm

Chase wrote:Looks like a quiet time. Early darkness means long sleep so long as you stay warm.
Quiet, yeah, except for the winds. :lol: Actually, the wind was up and down overnight, so there were a few times when it was quiet enough to hear the snow falling.

As for the sleep, I dunno. I can't quite force myself to sleep that early. I need to figure out how to make reading a little easier (keep upper body and hands warm while holding a book).
Charley wrote:Handwarmers and some podcasts on an iPod help me get through those long nights in the snow. It's a special experience!
Don't know if I can stomach the podcasts. One of the main things I like about being outside is hearing the sounds of nature. It kind of busts my bubble to have something in my ears. I don't even like a hooded jacket because it obscures the sounds as it moves around on my head. I'll figure something out. :)
louisebartels wrote:Love those ice mud photos!
I did too! I was walking carefully so as not to crush them, not that I expected anyone else to be up there.