Hayrick Butte - Nov 13, 2016

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
johnspeth

Hayrick Butte - Nov 13, 2016

Post by johnspeth » November 14th, 2016, 8:44 pm

I climbed Hayrick Butte and explored the top on Sun Nov 13. Hayrick Butte has been a project for me for the past 10 years. It took one recon trip and five attempts to finally achieve success. Not much is written about how to do it (safely or not). All the clues I've read turned out to be accurate. The biggest challenges are avoiding the mind-numbing brush and, of course, safety.

I arrived for an 8am start near the Benson Sno-park. Shortly after that, it started raining hard. I waited for an hour and then gave up and tried to salvage the day on the nearby Patjens Lakes trail. I figured bushwacking through wet bushes and slipping on wet rocks wouldn't get me good results. As I was trekking towards the lakes, the rain stopped, the sun lit up Hayrick Butte, and a little wind kicked up. I made a U-turn and by the time I got back to the bottom of Hayrick Butte the foliage was dry. I had the green light to go up.

I located a faint user trail on the prominent east side buttress. I followed it all the way up and eventually located the reputed safe chute to the top. The climb took about an hour. The exploration at the top took about two hours. The climb down took about an hour which included mistracking the trail off the top and having to go all the way back up to get reoriented.

The buttress was solid and with stairstep features:
IMG_6605.JPG
Buttress boot selfie
Eventually you reach the wall where sidehilling eventually leads to the safe chute. There is no possibility of more uphill here:
IMG_6561.JPG
Wall at the buttress end
The safe chute is several hundred yards of mostly scrambling along the bottom of the wall:
IMG_6563.JPG
Hike along the wall
This part was particularly dicey. That chipped rock was pretty slidey. It was just hanging on by the slightest friction. I didn't want to get caught in a rock avalanche. It was not avoidable:
IMG_6601.JPG
Slidey rock
Soon the vertical wall gives way to slightly vegetated gullies near the south east corner:
IMG_6564.JPG
Approaching the safe chute
And then the path up becomes obvious. I found a wash that was the obvious safe route up:
IMG_6569.JPG
Safe chute bottom
I hit the top and quickly started exploring. Soon I realized that if I didn't mark my exit I just might never find it. There is probably two miles of perimeter and no trail markings. I stuck my jacket to tree limb for easy exit (or so I thought):
IMG_6585.JPG
Flagging to mark my exit
As you'd expect, the top was flat in the southern part but the northern part had a number of long straight channels that looked like creek beds flanked by 30 foot moderately steep sides. There were also a good number of flat plant-free sections:
IMG_6577.JPG
Plant free section
Here's the view from the west side edge with Hoodoo Ski Area's backside exit trail:
IMG_6579.JPG
West side and Hoodoo
Eventually I made my way back to my flag jacket. My foresight paid off. I took off down this gully marked by my jacket:
IMG_6586.JPG
Wrong way down
I got the bottom of this WRONG gully and realized there was no way past the bottom to the sidehill trail. I made several probing advances down but the last step was too risky no matter which route I picked. I would have had to jump at some point and a perfect landing was required or else I'd keep going. Back to the top with me to figure it out again. Oh me oh my: I was off by one gully. My corrected down-climb was familiar including finding my boot prints.

The only bad part of this hike was the constant grind of off-road toys, a mindless use of the woods that I've come to hate. These noisemakers were buzzing around all sides of Hayrick Butte. Are mufflers a bad idea?

I can post more details if anybody wants them.

Don Nelsen

Re: Hayrick Butte - Nov 13, 2016

Post by Don Nelsen » November 14th, 2016, 9:24 pm

Nice job and great report and photos.

I was fascinated with Hayrick Butte too but didn't finally give it a concerted try until just three years ago. I liked it so much I went back the next year and plan to go again next summer. It's almost unique in the area (It's twin sister across the hwy is the only other feature of its kind in a thousand miles or more.) Geologically speaking, both are tuyas, a feature formed when a volcano erupts under a thick ice sheet. Hogg Rock, across the road is covered with glacial striations, by the way. I didn't see any obvious ones on Hayrick though. Did you happen on any? I've been meaning to do a report but you beat me to it.

Glad you found a safe way up that ridge! I climbed the spine of it on my first trip and swore never again - way scary! Here's a map of my wanderings that I think notes the easiest and safest way up and down also avoids most of the brush as this route follows an old road to an old quarry on the SE side.

dn

"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 15th, 2016, 1:32 am

johnspeth wrote: The only bad part of this hike was the constant grind of off-road toys, a mindless use of the woods that I've come to hate. These noisemakers were buzzing around all sides of Hayrick Butte. Are mufflers a bad idea?
Well you were in the middle of the Santiam Pass Motorized Recreation Area. There is a legal noise limit in Oregon of 99 decibels at 20 inches from the exhaust for ATVs. If you believe this is being violated you might report them. If not you could try campaigning for a reduced noise limit in that area, e.g. Oregon Dunes has a 93 dB limit.
Don Nelsen wrote:Geologically speaking, both are tuyas, a feature formed when a volcano erupts under a thick ice sheet. Hogg Rock, across the road is covered with glacial striations, by the way.
Thanks for the geology note. I love learning things like this.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » November 15th, 2016, 5:14 am

Don Nelsen wrote:Geologically speaking, both are tuyas, a feature formed when a volcano erupts under a thick ice sheet. Hogg Rock, across the road is covered with glacial striations, by the way. I didn't see any obvious ones on Hayrick though. Did you happen on any?
I didn't see any glacial striations. I usually notice things like that. But I did wonder about the long flat channels on the north half. I think I crossed maybe five of them. I don't know if they originated due to glacial or volcanic action.
Don Nelsen wrote:Glad you found a safe way up that ridge! I climbed the spine of it on my first trip and swore never again - way scary! Here's a map of my wanderings that I think notes the easiest and safest way up and down also avoids most of the brush as this route follows an old road to an old quarry on the SE side.
You have bigger ones than me for even considering the uphill near that spine. Congratulations on your success. You must have some mountain goat in you. It appears from your map that you favor the "hikers" chute that I found too.

Please tell us about that rope you found.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 15th, 2016, 11:20 am

johnspeth wrote:Please tell us about that rope you found.
The rope is quite the mystery. It was there in 2013 when I first went up there and still there the next year. I was unable to pull it up as it seemed to be tied off to a branch or something below that gave but was too much for me to overcome. There is some tension on it, too. It's an expensive climbing rope, too, not one you would think one would have abandoned. It goes over a high vertical cliff that would be suitable for a rappel.

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » November 15th, 2016, 5:54 pm

Don,

Don't want to hijack the thread, but have to rebut your statement:
(It's twin sister across the hwy is the only other feature of its kind in a thousand miles or more.) Geologically speaking, both are tuyas, a feature formed when a volcano erupts under a thick ice sheet.
Lone Butte, on the north side of Indian Heaven is also a tuya, and it is a few miles short of the thousand miles away....
Cordilleran Section of the Geological Society of America: Decade of North ...
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 15th, 2016, 6:15 pm

K.Wagner wrote:Don,

(It's twin sister across the hwy is the only other feature of its kind in a thousand miles or more.) Geologically speaking, both are tuyas, a feature formed when a volcano erupts under a thick ice sheet.
Lone Butte, on the north side of Indian Heaven is also a tuya, and it is a few miles short of the thousand miles away....
Kelly,

Thanks for the link to the article! Very informative and one I had not seen. The author calls Lone Butte a "conical tuya" so I think I should emend my comment about the nearest tuya being a thousand miles away might be changed to say a "flat topped tuya" being a thousand miles away? I may be wrong about that, too? Still, both Hayrick and Hogg are pretty much solid basalt where Lone Butte has a lot of cinder and other material besides hard basalt. We learn something every day!

Now I'm going to have to put up a TR about my explorations on Hogg - ...

dn

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » November 15th, 2016, 6:38 pm

Hayrick Butte isn't quite my cup o' tea, but love the TR and subsequent discussion. This is the kind of thing I'd like to see more of on OH.

chiefWright

Post by chiefWright » November 16th, 2016, 12:59 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
K.Wagner wrote:Don,

Kelly,

Thanks for the link to the article! Very informative and one I had not seen. The author calls Lone Butte a "conical tuya" so I think I should emend my comment about the nearest tuya being a thousand miles away might be changed to say a "flat topped tuya" being a thousand miles away? I may be wrong about that, too? Still, both Hayrick and Hogg are pretty much solid basalt where Lone Butte has a lot of cinder and other material besides hard basalt. We learn something every day!

Now I'm going to have to put up a TR about my explorations on Hogg - ...

dn
Anybody know if "The Table" just south of Mt. Jefferson is a tuya? (Not "The Table" nearby Mt. Girabaldi in B.C., which is a tuya). It shares many features with Hayrick & Hogg: Andesite/Basaltic composition, steep sidewalls and relatively flat top. I've been there, though not to the top. Just traversed between it and the cute little cinder cone pimpling off its south side.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 16th, 2016, 7:56 pm

chiefWright wrote: Anybody know if "The Table" just south of Mt. Jefferson is a tuya? ...
I don't think so but I am only an amateur when it comes to geology (though I took several classes in college).

The Table has a raised rim around it and I think it would be somewhat convex it it was extruded under an ice sheet and then glaciated as the other tuyas appear to be. Here are a few photos so those who haven't been there will know what we are talking about.

The Table in the bottom center. Pic taken from the south slopes of Mt. Jefferson in 1996:

The top of The Table taken from the west rim. Panorama shot, this and next fit together.

Here's another shot taken from high on the slopes of Goat Peak:

And, finally, a shot taken from a plane as I flew over in 2000. Goat Peak is in the center and The Table is on the far left center:

As for Hayrick Butte, here is a photo I took a couple years ago from the south:

Yet another taken from the top of Hogg Rock: