Snow! - Breitenbush Lk to near Jeff Park Ridge - 10/22/16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
johnspeth

Re: Snow! - Breitenbush Lk to near Jeff Park Ridge - 10/22/1

Post by johnspeth » October 25th, 2016, 4:35 am

That looks like "old snow", the kind that is more or less permanent despite weather that likes to melt it. Is that true?

gratefultrails

Post by gratefultrails » October 26th, 2016, 8:46 am

Amazing photos, what an insanely beautiful area! It's funny how Ollalie Butte looks a bit like Maiden peak from a certain angle. I wonder if there's more snow on those trails because of the many north-facing slopes?

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » October 26th, 2016, 11:53 am

johnspeth wrote:That looks like "old snow", the kind that is more or less permanent despite weather that likes to melt it. Is that true?
There is semi-permanent snow on the north side of Park Ridge, but the snowfield has been known to melt off in low-snow years (as in 2015). But it doesn't look like the OP made it to the main snowfield right below the crest of the ridge. It is very hard to get lost there but very easy to lose the trail itself on the ridge.
gratefultrails wrote:Amazing photos, what an insanely beautiful area! It's funny how Ollalie Butte looks a bit like Maiden peak from a certain angle. I wonder if there's more snow on those trails because of the many north-facing slopes?
Precisely. Because of its high elevation (6,000 feet and up) and its north-facing aspect, this area holds some snow very late into the summer, and gets snowed in very early in the fall. I would say it has a shorter season than all but a small handful of trails in the state for this reason.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com