North Cascades Larches, Oct. 1-3

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
RobinB

North Cascades Larches, Oct. 1-3

Post by RobinB » October 14th, 2016, 12:47 pm

After I got back from the PCT, we spent the rest of the summer on adventures close to home: Broken Top, South Sister, the northeast side of Hood, Goat Rocks... It was wonderful, but nothing that really felt like it deserved a trip report.

But then a couple weeks ago we went to the North Cascades to see the larches, and man. It's just so beautiful up there. Like: supernaturally beautiful. Like: we're seriously thinking about moving to Winthrop beautiful. Like: "Maybe we can make it as part time baristas and just play in the mountains every day?" beautiful.

Opening picture: Lake Ann from near Maple Pass

It ended up being a mostly sightseeing trip - a million stops at a million brown signs - but there's something sort of nice about that. And we did take a short stroll, on the Heather - Maple Pass Loop, which, even though seriously short (around 8 miles before side trips) still might be one of the prettiest dayhikes I've ever taken.

Saturday, Oct. 1: Seattle to Winthrop

So here's the trouble - literally the only trouble - with the North Cascades: they're super far away. Krista had to work in Seattle, so I drove up Friday, nervous amid the mid-day traffic, and we slept in town Friday night. The weather forecast was pretty rough for Saturday, so we got a late start, snailed out of the city, and were on the North Cascades Highway by, well... at least we made it before sundown.

I love just being a tourist sometimes: stopping at all the pullouts, reading the signs, running around the visitors center with the other six year olds.

We stopped twice at Diablo Lake: once where Krista'd picked me up from the PCT to say something sappy, and once at a beautiful viewpoint just east of the lake, where it started to lightly snow.

Water on the Lens = Authenticity

Then on toward Washington Pass, up through increasingly golden hills. Even just from the window of a pulled over car, it really is an incredible place.

At the pass proper, there were larches everywhere: along Kangaroo Ridge, up Copper Pass, on the side of Liberty Bell... everywhere. It was Krista's first time seeing them, and she looked like a kid at Disneyland. I guess I probably did too.

We left with the last of the afternoon light, and made our way quickly down to Winthrop, where we'd reserved a room for the weekend at an old two-story hotel that managed to be both pleasantly old-fashioned and completely ungimmicky – like something out of Sisters twenty years ago. I loved it, and the town, completely. We ordered pizza, watched some cable novelty, crossed the river on a grand over-built bridge, and took a dark evening amble down the deserted main street, where I got the feeling it probably always feels like Christmas Eve.

Sunday, Oct. 2: Heather - Maple Pass Loop

The next morning, we woke up around seven, ambled again into town for coffee and breakfast, and drove the easy half hour to Rainy Pass.

Most people do the Heather - Maple Pass Loop counterclockwise, seemingly for no other reason than that's how all the guidebooks describe it, and I guess maybe the climbing's a little less steep that way. But it's really just a pleasant ramble either way, and we decided to go clockwise, more to have the thing to ourselves for the first half than anything else.

The first mile or so was through uneventful forest, but soon enough it opened onto bright red ridges and glowing gold trees. And it started to snow, despite the sun - fluffy flakes the size and shape of New Years confetti.

As we were standing on stones along the trail, trying (and failing) to take it all in, two women a little older than us passed, stopping their shouted conversation briefly to offer some odd encouragement in an oddly patronizing tone. "When you get to the top, it'll worth it!"

Huh? I stood there puzzled for second while they walked on, undeterred by my unresponsiveness. Krista looked over at me, eyebrows raised. "Wasn't... wasn't it worth it right from the beginning?" Their hollered conversation hovered back to us. The encouraging one was talking about the workout classes she teaches. The importance of motivating people. Conquering difficult terrain. Just Doing It. I guess when you’re a hammer the world looks like a nail.

The attitude made me sad. I love going outside because I love being outside. And I walk the way I do - sometimes far, sometimes short, sometimes only a few feet from the car - because I want to see what's there, and want to get the feeling of moving through these places, immersed in everything they offer. Staying in some sort of vaguely adequate shape and getting to the top are at most side benefits.

I don't know what to make of the bizarre, creeping instrumentalism that treats mountains as things to be conquered. It's like trying to conquer a sunset or a symphony, the harmony of leaves rustling in wind. Like trying to conquer the air we breathe.

Anyway, we waited a while before going on.

The area just below Maple Pass was, to skip back on an already broken record, overwhelmingly beautiful: white and red and gold and green, all so pure and sharp that it felt like someone's over-saturated photograph. I caught up to Krista and tried to figure out something to say. "Jesus." She shook her head yes and gave me knowing smile. "No filter."

There was a tiny tarn just under Maple Pass, I guess part of a drainage leading to Rainy Lake, and I spent a while looking down, negotiating with myself. "Maybe we could go down, cut over the corner of Frisco Mountain, descend to Maple Creek, bushwhack to the PCT, take a side trip to Stehekin... I mean, we have headlamps, right? Maybe we could just hike home."

From Maple Pass, the trail followed a high, rocky ridge around Lake Ann, then side-hilled down to Heather Pass. The views in this section were maybe the best of the trip, with mountains stretching in every direction as far as we could see. I thought, for neither the first nor last time, that one could easily spend a life learning this place.

At Heather Pass, we decided to wander a ways west, toward Lewis and Wing Lakes, not so much trying to get anywhere in particular, but just to see something a little off the beaten path.

There's a reasonably well-worn trail running from Heather Pass to Lewis Lake, and it's apparently a standard approach for people trying to climb Black Peak, but a good deal of the route runs through a big boulder field - I want to call it talus, but that feels too generous. It was actually sort of fun scrambling, but we were both in tourist mode, and only made it halfway across before deciding we'd seen enough and heading back.

Once off the rocks, the way back to our car was like the day in general: mellow, muted, happy walking through bright, brilliant color. We ran into more and more people coming up - a jaunty old man who asked if I had any beer or whiskey in my pack (I did), a group of kids in shorts and sandals almost running up the trail - and the afternoon ended easily, as the trees slowly overtook our ridge, and we rambled through their shadows to the car.

We spent the evening in Winthrop, eating at the only open restaurant - a family Mexican place that sold beer by the liter - and watching the sunset over the unhurried river and the delightful, dusky, wood-walled town.

Monday, Oct. 3: Home

I used to dread long drives home. I'd get impatient and the whole thing would end up feeling like a chore. But for some reason I've been really enjoying them lately.

We left in the mid-morning, and stopped a few miles south in Twisp, for coffee and pastries at a warm, comfortable, condensating bakery on the town's main street. There was a big group of law-enforcement people there - a few police, rangers from the Forest Service and the National Park - all sitting together at a big table, having coffee and cinnamon buns. We stood in line behind the sheriff, who spoke to the woman at the counter like an old friend, but also with a sort of professional deference. It was almost unbearably sweet. I could get used to living in that sort of place.

olderthanIusedtobe

Re: North Cascades Larches, Oct. 1-3

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » October 14th, 2016, 1:28 pm

Uh oh. I think you're totally hooked on the Washington Cascades now. There is no cure. I've been a junkie for 20 years now.

Lewis and Wing Lakes are nice. Maybe next time.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 14th, 2016, 1:44 pm

That looks like a good alternative to the Enchantments

drm

Post by drm » October 14th, 2016, 2:13 pm

RobinB wrote:Image
Another North Cascades addict. I do not consider the above to be talus. That's a boulder field.

How did the PCT in the region compare? One reason I've been less than motivated about the PCT is that in some areas, it misses the best scenery.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » October 14th, 2016, 2:18 pm

drm wrote: How did the PCT in the region compare? One reason I've been less than motivated about the PCT is that in some areas, it misses the best scenery.
Definitely some truth to that. There are some great sections of the PCT, but so much good stuff in Washington, it can't help but miss some of it. To me the most glaring example is that it comes nowhere even remotely close to Mt. Baker, undoubtedly (in my mind) some of the best hiking in the state.

I can tell you that the PCT north of Hwy 20 (the Maple Pass loop is just south of Hwy 20) catches some beautiful country--Cutthroat Pass, Granite Pass, a few more passes and then Grasshopper Pass. Great stuff.

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » October 14th, 2016, 7:03 pm

Another Washington Cascades addict here. :P

I started out being hooked in Washington's South Cascades, then "discovered" Mount Rainier, then visited North Cascades for the first time in 2014. My visit to the North Cascades left something to be desired, so I returned this summer to the North Cascades–Mount Baker this time around. And WOW, was I blown away. We did the Ptarmigan Ridge hike to view the sunset. Honestly, I think that the North Cascades might just be the one of the, if not the most beautiful place in the world; and I've even been to the Canadian Rockies. Washinton stole my heart; sorry Oregon. :P
- Previously ElementalFX

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » October 14th, 2016, 7:06 pm

Those are some incredible pictures! Makes me want to head back up there again! xD

Fall time is truly an amazing time to hike; I still haven't been able to hike in the fall because of attending out-of-state college, grr. (Oklahoma isn't known for its hiking, so to speak. :lol: )
- Previously ElementalFX

naturallog

Post by naturallog » October 14th, 2016, 8:51 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again, North Cascades = Best Cascades. I'm glad you guys could stomach the driving and experience the splendor (and charms! Like Cinnamon Twisp) of the area. Great photos, thanks for showcasing a place of which many of us are fond.

Next stop, Sawtooths :)

RobinB

Post by RobinB » October 14th, 2016, 11:57 pm

olderthanIusedtobe wrote:Uh oh. I think you're totally hooked on the Washington Cascades now.
Seriously. It's bad! There's just so much there!
retired jerry wrote:That looks like a good alternative to the Enchantments
The only trouble is that there's not really anywhere to camp on the loop. There are apparently good spots at Lewis and Wing Lakes, but otherwise you might be better served elsewhere in the North Cascades. Maybe near Cutthroat Pass on the PCT?
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
drm wrote:How did the PCT in the region compare? One reason I've been less than motivated about the PCT is that in some areas, it misses the best scenery.
Definitely some truth to that. There are some great sections of the PCT, but so much good stuff in Washington, it can't help but miss some of it. To me the most glaring example is that it comes nowhere even remotely close to Mt. Baker, undoubtedly (in my mind) some of the best hiking in the state.

I can tell you that the PCT north of Hwy 20 (the Maple Pass loop is just south of Hwy 20) catches some beautiful country--Cutthroat Pass, Granite Pass, a few more passes and then Grasshopper Pass. Great stuff.
That seems right to me, though I'm definitely not terribly experienced up there. The PCT in Washington just nails it sometimes - Goat Rocks is the most obvious example, though that's probably true of the south side of Glacier Peak too - but elsewhere it misses some obvious tricks. For instance, after Stehekin, there are a bunch of beautiful options - north over Park Creek Pass, west to Cascade Pass - and the trail eschews all of them.

If you're just out for a couple days, or even a week or two, I don't think there's any particular reason to prefer the PCT. There are some advantages if you're taking longer than that - resupplies are easy, and there's just a bunch of infrastructure - but I'm not really sure how big of a consideration that should be.
Elemental Fluttershy wrote:My visit to the North Cascades left something to be desired, so I returned this summer to the North Cascades–Mount Baker this time around. And WOW, was I blown away.
I've somehow never been to Mount Baker. I'm not even sure that I've ever seen it. Seems like a sort of massive oversight...
naturallog wrote:I'm glad you guys could stomach the driving and experience the splendor (and charms! Like Cinnamon Twisp) of the area.
Cinamon Twisp was so charming! I wanted to move into their back room.
naturallog wrote:Next stop, Sawtooths
I couldn't agree more.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » October 15th, 2016, 6:41 am

My Daughter has worked in Stehekin for the past two summers and I've made several trips up to the North Cascades. It is an incredibly beautiful area if you can stomach the drive. She has explored a bunch of places up there and I've made two trips with her - the Devils Dome Loop last year and a short trip to Thornton Lakes/Trapper Peak this year. The larch was incredibly beautiful!

Even the drive on highway 20 is a beautiful, spectacular drive. I've never seen a road like it.

Thanks for posting all the photos.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson