McNeil Point & sunset pictures 9.21.16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
romann

McNeil Point & sunset pictures 9.21.16

Post by romann » September 23rd, 2016, 10:54 pm

It's well-known destination, so I'll just share some pictures from my Wednesday's hike. It was surprisingly quiet up there for such popular trail - even though I got the last spot to park at trailhead, didn't see anyone on McNeil Point and met only a few hikers going up and 1 group on the way back. Still about a dozen cars when I returned in the dark - most of the people stayed camping overnight.

It's been sunny in Portland but Hood was holding its cloud cover until the evening, and I wasn't sure if sunset show will happen on the mountain at all. It did - the summit cleared about 10 minutes before sunset - great timing :)

I came late to McNeil shelter and didn't have time to get back to Bald Mtn viewpoint before dark. Snapped some pictures and went down climbers' trail short route, and watched sunset from large boulder at meadow on Top Spur trail. Was glad I had my gloves and winter hat! Wished I thought about a tripod for better picture sharpness...

A bit earlier...

Still earlier at McNeil - looking at upper ridge. I've never went up there, need to plan more time on my next hike

Looking to ice caves below Sandy Glacier. Seems to be some fresh, clean snow dusting on the glaciers, but nothing on the rocks

Always snowy Yocum Ridge

Cool rock in the middle of Muddy Fork's canyon (almost looks like bearded face profile looking right)

Silver forest at Dollar Lake Burn

Ridge top views on the official trail to McNeil

And some fall colors - mountain ash and huckleberries

Back to big meadow, when I watched the mountain emerge from the clouds after hiding all day...

No matter how hard I tried, couldn't see that number 47 some people see on Sandy Glacier. Still, this was a magic show of color and swirling clouds and mountain's sheer size (haven't done this hike for several years), I even stayed for a while after sunset not wanting to go, but eventually the cold convinced me to move.

Splintercat

Re: McNeil Point & sunset pictures 9.21.16

Post by Splintercat » September 24th, 2016, 8:56 am

Great photos, Roman! I was up there a couple weeks ago, and it's amazing to see how quickly the fall colors are progressing. My favorite time of year on the mountain!

Tom :)

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 24th, 2016, 10:20 am

Beautiful pictures! I've never been up there this time of year.

romann

Post by romann » September 24th, 2016, 10:49 am

Thanks Tom and Cheryl! Yes it's great time to be there and next weeks weather looks just gorgeous. Surprisingly, mountain ash looks better the higher you go, lower on the trail the color was almost gone but near treeline they were really nice.