Bear/Blue Lakes 9/15-17 & Lost item @ Sahalee Tyee

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Happy hiker

Bear/Blue Lakes 9/15-17 & Lost item @ Sahalee Tyee

Post by Happy hiker » September 17th, 2016, 2:48 pm

We had an excellent 2 night trip to Bear Lake and Blue Lake via the Acker Lake Loop. The hike description in the guide Proved really helpful. The section on the old CCT was easy to find, although we did not see any of the old trail markings that were mentioned in the guide. The trail was very narrow and deep at some points, requiring good balance. The drop through forest out of the early meadows was moderately rough going.

Mosquitos - zero
Huckleberries - a handful here and there
Fall color - spectacular
Hunters - several
Lots of campers at Rock Lake and Acker Lake, fewer at Bear and Elk Lakes. Blue Lake was surprisingly quiet, although the wind had picked up by our arrival.

The 15th and 16th were dry and sunny. It began to rain on the 17th in the early a.m., so we broke camp early to head down. Even with just a few hours of rain, the trail from Blue Lake to the TH was filled with puddles.

We camped on our last night at the #8 site at Sahalee Tyee which was lovely and mostly out of the wind.

We left our old green webbing/mesh hammock with blue lines hanging near the shore a few yards past the campsite proper. If anyone heads up and sees it, I'd be glad to offer a small reward for its return. It has great sentimental value and I'm so sad that in packing up in the downpour we rushed off without it.

Happy travels!

Mikeph4

Re: Bear/Blue Lakes 9/15-17 & Lost item @ Sahalee Tyee

Post by Mikeph4 » September 20th, 2016, 2:43 pm

Good to hear the reports. I plan to explore this loop, hopefully before the snow starts up. Otherwise it'll have to wait until next summer/early summer!
I started another thread about this trail and some others. Maybe you can give me some more info (:
http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... 10&t=24640

Katherine

Post by Katherine » September 20th, 2016, 6:06 pm

Good to know. I was going to do that when I was there with my son in late August (midweek) but only made it to Blue, not Bear. I noted that the unofficial trail had a pretty clear start off of the Thomas Lake trail.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » September 25th, 2016, 10:12 pm

My friend grabbed the hammock for you on her way out today. I sent you a PM with her contact info :D
Attachments
nicole hammock.jpg
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Happy hiker

Post by Happy hiker » September 26th, 2016, 6:10 am

Tears of joy and a hug for you both!!! What an amazing bit of news to wake up to. I saw the PM and will send her a text later today. Thank you so much!

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » September 27th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Happy hiker wrote:Tears of joy and a hug for you both!!! What an amazing bit of news to wake up to. I saw the PM and will send her a text later today. Thank you so much!
You are very welcome! Glad we could get it back to you, and your note and the cards etc. were very generous. Isn't Nicole a treasure? She is so sweet and was so glad to help :)
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Happy hiker

Post by Happy hiker » September 27th, 2016, 1:29 pm

She was great fun to meet. Hopefully I'll bump into her on the trail sometime. Thanks again for your help!