Jefferson Park - Aug 27-28, 2016

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Jefferson Park - Aug 27-28, 2016

Post by justpeachy » August 29th, 2016, 7:45 pm

Greg and I spent Saturday night in Jefferson Park. You all know this hike, so I'll get straight to the photos.

Love that first view of Mt. Jefferson from the trail:

View of Rock Lake from our campsite:

This little guy was cute, but a HUGE pest and we had to guard our food carefully:

Greg cooled off in Bays Lake, although it was VERY windy:

Usually wind calms down at sunset and it was definitely calmer, but still quite breezy. Here's Scout Lake at sunset:

We were right under a super cool-looking lenticular cloud, which turned red at sunset. It was so big and so close that it was hard to photograph. This is a pano from my iPhone:

Scout Lake in the morning:

We had the most random trail encounter while hiking in on Saturday. We were about a mile from Jefferson Park when we passed a group of six or seven people hiking out. They had a New Seasons apple pie with them and Greg did a double-take. The guy holding the pie immediately asked "You want it?" Greg tried to refuse it, but they insisted we take it, that we'd be doing them a favor by not making them carry it all the way back to the trailhead. So we took it. It garnered us a lot of looks and comments.

As for the new permit system, it worked out pretty well. We made reservations three weeks out and figured if the weather turned out not to be our in favor we were okay eating the six bucks. There's a campsite map on Recreation.gov and you have to pick a specific site when you make your reservation, then camp only in that site with your permit prominently displayed. We were very glad we had printed out the map and brought it with us, because we didn't see it posted either at the trailhead or at Jefferson Park. It can be a bit tricky to navigate the maze of trails around those lakes and get to the right site. There were two backcountry rangers going around checking permits and reminding people to pack out their trash and to not build campfires.

drm

Re: Jefferson Park - Aug 27-28, 2016

Post by drm » August 30th, 2016, 7:01 am

So nice, probably the nicest spot in the NW that I haven't visited yet. So if you camp away from the key lakes, then a reservation permit is not required? I'm not against the permits, I just don't plan ahead that much, and I would be fine with a nice camping spot on a creek or on a bench above one of the lakes. I just searched the permit page and apparently the limit/reservations only apply within 250 feet of water's edge. Maybe THIS year in Sept I will finally make it.

scott_willson

Post by scott_willson » August 30th, 2016, 8:05 am

Nice … here's the cloud from the north!

download/file.php?id=61466&mode=view

sparklehorse

Post by sparklehorse » August 31st, 2016, 8:42 am

Great photos, and that lenticular cloud is amazing! What a treat that must have been.

Is that pano from an iPhone 6? My 6s shoots panos that are astonishing considering its lens is the size of a pencil eraser.

G
You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook

jaimito

Post by jaimito » September 2nd, 2016, 8:40 am

Great trip it looks like. So I'm headed up there in a few weeks for 3 nights, which TH did you leave from?

Jamie

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 3rd, 2016, 8:10 am

sparklehorse wrote:Is that pano from an iPhone 6? My 6s shoots panos that are astonishing considering its lens is the size of a pencil eraser.
It's from an iPhone 6. I continue to be amazed at what a decent little camera that thing has. And the panos are always really incredible!
jaimito wrote:So I'm headed up there in a few weeks for 3 nights, which TH did you leave from?
We hiked in via the Whitewater Trail. I know there are other approaches but the Whitewater TH is easy to get to and the trail gets you to JP easily and quickly, so we always take that. Maybe someday we'll attempt the PCT route starting from Breitenbush Lake, but first I have to work up the nerve to drive that dreadful road.