Tam McArthur Rim (8-19-16)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
sgyoung

Tam McArthur Rim (8-19-16)

Post by sgyoung » August 24th, 2016, 8:19 am

My wife and I took a trip to Tam McArthur Rim. We hiked the usual 2.5ish miles out to the end of the official trail and then continued on another 2+ miles of unmaintained trail to Broken Hand. We had lunch looking over Broken Top's glacial lake and then headed back the way we came. This was an excellent out and back, although the views are better on the way out since you're walking toward Broken Top with Sisters views the whole way.

I don't necessarily have a ton to report, but a few quick notes before the pictures. First, the "unmaintained" trial that continues past the offical end is possibly the easiest off-trial hiking ever. The boot path itself is well worn and virtually indistinguishable from the actual trial. Presumably its relatively frequent use keeps it clear and easy to follow.

Also, its perhaps worth noting that the trial has a few branches and braids (in some cases for horses vs hikers, but other times less obviously marked) but it seems like all go to the same end place. We always choose the branches that stayed closest to the rim for the sake of views.

Anyway, that's enough writing. Here are pretty pictures:

Nearing the end of the official trial, with nice a view over the rim to the Sisters:

And Broken Top:

The longer views up the Cascades were a bit obscured by haze and smoke in the air, but Jefferson, Washington, and 3FJ were all visible and Hood was decernible in the distance but didn't show up in pictures.

A little past the rim and end of the official trial, the Broken Top views improve and become more impressive:

And more of South Sister appears, looming over the rim

Just so they don't feel left out, here are Middle and North Sister as well:

Bachelor views from a little farther down the unmaintained trial:

More Broken Top and South Sister action:

All three:

Finally, the view of Broken Top and the glacial lake from our end point:

Looking over at Bachelor, which is a cool mountain. I feel it gets overshadowed a bit, perhaps because it is a giant sky slope for most of the year, but its a very pretty symmetrical volcano.

Last thing worth mentioning, I've read that this hike can extend to the lake. However, after we reached Broken Hand and scrambled around to the open view of BT, I didn't see an obvious route that would get over the lake. We had already decided to have lunch and then head back so I didn't look very hard but stil wonder if I just miss something super obvious . Either way, great hike and amazing views for relatively little effort (round trip was a bit over 11 miles and 2300 feet EG according to my wife's fitbit).

RobinB

Re: Tam McArthur Rim (8-19-16)

Post by RobinB » August 24th, 2016, 1:49 pm

Oh nice, I really love that hike! Maybe my favorite dayhike in the Sisters.
sgyoung wrote:Last thing worth mentioning, I've read that this hike can extend to the lake. However, after we reached Broken Hand and scrambled around to the open view of BT, I didn't see an obvious route that would get over the lake. We had already decided to have lunch and then head back so I didn't look very hard but still wonder if I just miss something super obvious.
It's not at all obvious. If I remember correctly, the trail splits at the base of Broken Hand: one branch leads south, hugging a cliffy section of Broken Hand; another leads north over a sketchy snowfield; and a third just stops in its tracks and gives up. The best option is to cut south (left) a few hundred feet before Broken Hand, then traverse west across the open meadows below.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 24th, 2016, 2:31 pm

or, when you get past the end of the official Tam McArthur trail, maybe 7700 feet, just head off trail to the right of Ball Butte, staying at about 7700 feet. When you get past Ball Butte, head down to the stream (Crater Creek) and find the unnamed trail, and take it down to the Broken Top Trail, and follow it over to Green Lakes

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » August 24th, 2016, 6:19 pm

RobinB wrote:Oh nice, I really love that hike! Maybe my favorite dayhike in the Sisters.
It was a pretty great hike. For all my trips to the OR/WA area Bend is mostly new to me, but the bit glaciated mountains + high desert colors and landscapes combine to make an amazing area. Kind of like combining the Gorge with Utah or something. My heart still belongs to Mt Hood and Portland area though ;)
RobinB wrote:
sgyoung wrote:Last thing worth mentioning, I've read that this hike can extend to the lake. However, after we reached Broken Hand and scrambled around to the open view of BT, I didn't see an obvious route that would get over the lake. We had already decided to have lunch and then head back so I didn't look very hard but still wonder if I just miss something super obvious.
It's not at all obvious. If I remember correctly, the trail splits at the base of Broken Hand: one branch leads south, hugging a cliffy section of Broken Hand; another leads north over a sketchy snowfield; and a third just stops in its tracks and gives up. The best option is to cut south (left) a few hundred feet before Broken Hand, then traverse west across the open meadows below.
Your description of the route to the lake is really helpful. Your memory is correct - I know exactly the spot you're talking about at the base of Broken Hand. We opted for the path on the left that hugged the cliff after eyeing up the snow field to the right and not seeing an easy way forward.
retired jerry wrote:or, when you get past the end of the official Tam McArthur trail, maybe 7700 feet, just head off trail to the right of Ball Butte, staying at about 7700 feet. When you get past Ball Butte, head down to the stream (Crater Creek) and find the unnamed trail, and take it down to the Broken Top Trail, and follow it over to Green Lakes
This also makes sense. I was checking out Ball Butte and the wide open, but seemingly off-trail route over there. I can picture the path you describe here and it seems straightforward.

Thanks, Robin and Jerry. My wife and I would love to check out the lake itself so we just might find ourselves doing this hike again and taking one of these routes.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » August 24th, 2016, 7:25 pm

sgyoung wrote:Thanks, Robin and Jerry. My wife and I would love to check out the lake itself so we just might find ourselves doing this hike again and taking one of these routes.
Nice! I don't know if you two are into backpacking (or very long day hikes), but there's also a wonderful ~20 mile loop around Broken Top, which can include both the glacial lake and a lot of beautiful scenery on the other side of the mountain. There's a pretty good description in the field guide here, an old trip report of mine here, and a (better) one from Karl here.

In any case, happy hiking!

hiker4fun

Post by hiker4fun » September 5th, 2016, 9:36 am

Beautiful pictures on what seems like a beautiful day, nice report. I would love to do this one day.

Arturo

Post by Arturo » September 5th, 2016, 6:59 pm

Beautiful.
That why we climb all these damn hills!

ssinfo503

Post by ssinfo503 » September 6th, 2016, 6:20 pm

I went to No-Name Lake on Labor Day from Three Creek lake TH. It was a great hike.
The off trail skirting Broken Hand is on the south side. See first photo below.
Attachments
BrokenHandTrail3.jpg
The trail skirting Broken hand