McNeil Point Hike and more - 8/6/16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
hiker4fun

McNeil Point Hike and more - 8/6/16

Post by hiker4fun » August 23rd, 2016, 11:03 pm

After not being able to go for hiking for couple of months due to work, a friend whom I met after a long time said he is interested to hike if I was available. That's all I needed to hear and planned for a hike to McNeil point.

I checked with him if he was ok for a 10 miles round trip and he was totally fine with it. It ended up being an 18 miles round trip though. :lol:

We started from the Top Spur TH. Part of the extra distance was due to the Bald mountain route that we took intentionally. However, when we saw the Cut off trail mark, I didn't pay attention to the details even though I had it in my hand and kept walking on the Timber line trail, only to realize after a mile that we could be on the wrong trail. After ignoring to ask few people who went the opposite way, we asked one person who said that he doesn't know McNeil point and that he was coming from Timberline lodge. That rang a bell and we looked at the GPS and it definitely showed we were going parallel and south. We backtracked to the Cutoff point and met a big crowd of one group who were happy to point us to the right one, right at the marker. :)

While the hike didn't seem difficult, the distance that we added up and the lost time made us a bit anxious to reach the destination sooner, but it wouldn't come that quickly. Good sign boards are there almost everywhere and the field guide was pretty good too. Also, if you are on the right trail, there are tons of people as it seems to be a real popular trail.

We got some beautiful views of St.Helens, Rainier and Adams on the way at multiple points.

Our original plan was to go to the McNeil point and see the shelter and come back, which is what most hikers seem to do. But, when we reached the McNeil point, we were impressed by the looks and the proximity to the glaciers and the mountain and debated about whether to keep pushing up as some minority of hikers did. Instead of too much debates, we decided to push ahead rather than wasting time.

This last portion was steeper and a bit difficult due to this being at a higher altitude. Beautiful views are the rewards. There was a black rock that seemed to be the final destination for the hikers that go on this ridge and we too stopped there and had our brunch.

We kept looking at the ridge on the other side and I kept telling my friend that that must be Yocum ridge and I want to do that at least next year.

After just few minutes of break, we started back and took some pictures at the shelter and started our descent. Since we spent quite a bit of time in detour and extra trip on the ridge, we skipped all the usual rest and kept walking. But, it took ages for us to reach the cut off trail junction.

Instead of the bald mountain route, we skipped to the shorter route and within no time, we reached the Wilderness permit junction and pretty soon to the Top Spur TH.

I really liked this hike. If not for the detour, it would have been even more enjoyable as I could have spent more time at the top. But, we got some good work out.
Attachments
20160806_120928.jpg
Views of Adams and Rainier with St Helens playing hide and seek behind the trees.
20160806_122226.jpg
St Helens, Rainier and Adams far away.
20160806_123852.jpg
Hood seems to say that I am the Star of the day. :)
20160806_124352.jpg
Changing direction on the boulder section, with St Helens, Rainier and Adams on the background
20160806_130925.jpg
From McNeil Point (original destination), before we went on the ridge.
20160806_132837.jpg
Top of Yocum ridge?
20160806_134752.jpg
Getting there.
20160806_134755.jpg
I believe, the one on the left side is the top of Yocum ridge.
20160806_134759.jpg
Another look
20160806_135055.jpg
Looking back at the ridge and Bald mountain
20160806_140729.jpg
Almost there (Deception) :D
20160806_140731.jpg
Pretty close
20160806_144509.jpg
Front entrance of the Shelter, nobody dared to go in. I just took a peek. :)
20160806_144523.jpg
McNiel Shelter and Mt Hood
20160806_164209.jpg
Back to Wilderness register/PCT junction

kepPNW

Re: McNeil Point Hike and more - 8/6/16

Post by kepPNW » August 24th, 2016, 5:54 am

Sounds like an excellent adventure! Was just up there a couple weeks ago, myself, and try to get back at least once a year. So beautiful. Definitely the right call to go beyond the shelter! People who stop there really miss out. You're right about Yocum Ridge, and are probably ready for it too! (It's also 18-20 miles, round-trip.)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

hiker4fun

Post by hiker4fun » August 24th, 2016, 9:41 pm

kepPNW wrote:Sounds like an excellent adventure! Was just up there a couple weeks ago, myself, and try to get back at least once a year. So beautiful. Definitely the right call to go beyond the shelter! People who stop there really miss out. You're right about Yocum Ridge, and are probably ready for it too! (It's also 18-20 miles, round-trip.)

Yes Karl, it was a great feeling, after completing my longest hike so far, of course not by design. ;)

Actually I met a person who looked pretty similar to you (only know you from your pictures) and asked him if he was a member here and he said yes, but when I asked, he said that he never posted anything here. I left it at that.

Yes, we were going back and forth for 2 minutes about going beyond shelter, I was the one saying this is enough. But, before my friend could change his mind, I said let's go without continuing the debate. We both felt good about it.

Yes, I am looking forward to Yocum Ridge, maybe this 18 miles excursion helps me on that, but probably only next year I think. Let's see. :)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 25th, 2016, 4:59 am

Wow, I just looked at the date in the title, and we only missed one another by a day! I was up there the 5th. That's cool you reached out. I've been nicely surprised a few times when doing that, and ought to more often. Congrats on the new personal best, too! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

hiker4fun

Post by hiker4fun » September 7th, 2016, 10:25 pm

kepPNW wrote:Wow, I just looked at the date in the title, and we only missed one another by a day! I was up there the 5th. That's cool you reached out. I've been nicely surprised a few times when doing that, and ought to more often. Congrats on the new personal best, too! :)
Thanks, hoping to beat this personal best, repeatedly. :)