Stalking Silverspots-- Pioneer-Indian Trail 8/23

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Stalking Silverspots-- Pioneer-Indian Trail 8/23

Post by pdxgene » August 23rd, 2016, 5:26 pm

So about a week ago Oregonlive ran a story that the Oregon Zoo had released 100 of the very endangered Oregon Silverspot Butteflys from their breeding program atop Mt Hebo. It said they have a really short lifespan so when I called the Hebo Ranger Station the other day at first they really didn't even want to talk about it. They'd rather people don't know and just as soon wish they wouldn't go up there. at which point I pointed out that running a front page story in the state's main newspaper might not be the best way to accomplish that goal.. :P They weren't real happy about how that whole thing happened. So today after years of unsuccessfully looking for them the result was a bit different. That also explained why when I had emailed the ranger station about it I never got a reply. Though they also look like a Pacific Fritillary based on their behavior and looks I'm reasonably certain that all of these are Silverspots..
Album from the day here... tons of huckleberries still though most were the red ones...
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/101 ... source=pwa

By the way, if you go... No touching, harrassing or catching them. Remember they are protected by Federal Law and we don't want the meadow closed off to the public if they are harrassed.. Thanx.. :)

Chip Down

Re: Stalking Silverspots-- Pioneer-Indian Trail 8/23

Post by Chip Down » August 23rd, 2016, 6:11 pm

pdxgene wrote:...so when I called the Hebo Ranger Station the other day at first they really didn't even want to talk about it. They'd rather people don't know and just as soon wish they wouldn't go up there. at which point I pointed out that running a front page story in the state's main newspaper might not be the best way to accomplish that goal.. :P
I can just imagine the awkward silence after you shared that observation. :D

pdxgene

Re: Stalking Silverspots-- Pioneer-Indian Trail 8/23

Post by pdxgene » August 23rd, 2016, 7:09 pm

Being fairly well experienced throughout life as a smart-a*s I'm generally ready for situations like that when they pop up... :twisted: