Vilcabamba Range (Peru): Choquequirao to Machu Picchu

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Vilcabamba Range (Peru): Choquequirao to Machu Picchu

Post by bobcat » August 22nd, 2016, 7:11 pm

I was in Peru in July/beginning of August, basing myself in Cusco and making three major excursions (Amazon region, seven-day trek in the Vilcabamba Range, and Lake Titicaca). This is a report on the hiking part of the trip.

Since the Vilcabamba is all about the Incas (Cusco was their capital city), I decided to do one of the treks that gets you to Machu Picchu on foot. The well-known Inca Trail is four days, but is permitted for 500 people a day (300 of whom are porters) and is booked months in advance; the Salkantay Trek is five days and has no restrictions, but is also very popular. I chose the Choquequirao Trek (10 - 20 people a day: most of these do it as a four-day in and out) and was initially joined by a young couple, who then got sick and bailed out. I was thus left with an entourage of guide, cook, and muleteer, plus his four mules, and the luxury of setting my own pace.

The trek begins about a four-hour drive from Cusco on winding roads and involves several descents into steep-sided, deep and remote river canyons (Apurímac, Blanco, Yanama, Totora, Santa Teresa, Urubamba) to get to Machu Picchu. The highest pass was at 15,256 feet, the low point was at 6,690 feet – with Machu Picchu itself at 7,970 feet – for a total of about 24,000 feet elevation gain in seven days. Trails were a combination of the old Inca routes and new paths carved where the 15th-16th century treads have slid away. These trails are also used by local villagers and their mule trains, which bring supplies to isolated farmsteads.

We camped at various elevations. This is the dry season in the Peruvian Andes so we experienced both the highest and lowest temperatures of the year: below freezing at night above 10,000 feet but above 80 degrees at the bottom of the canyons at midday. We never got up to the snow zone (about 17,700 feet): the vegetation regimes included dry equatorial forest, Amazon cloud forest, and high alpine grassland.

We began high above the Apurímac River and reached the ruins of Choquequirao the second day.
John, Lenyn, Juan Carlos at Capuliyoc.jpg
Descending to the Apurímac, Capuliyoc.jpg
Río Apurímac, Capuliyoc.jpg
Bromeliad (Puya densiflora), Campamento Chiquisca.jpg
Rufous antpitta (Grallaria rufula), Marampata.jpg
Village trail, Marampata.jpg
Choquequirao (the ‘Golden Cradle’) was the birthplace of three of the last Inca leaders and was sacked by the Spanish during their 40-year resistance after the conquest. The site was located by Yale archeologist Hiram Bingham in 1909 during his search for the “Lost City of the Incas.” Bingham’s discovery of Machu Picchu in 1911 eclipsed his other findings and excavations only began at Choquequirao in the 1970s. About a third of the site (It is three times the size of Machu Picchu) has been uncovered and some minor restorations have been made. The settlement was probably set up in the late 15th century as one of the gateways to the Sacred Valley. It contains all of the classic features of such Inca sites: a main plaza, retaining terraces and cultivation terraces, grain storehouses, a royal house, temples and mummy niches, metal factories, workers’ dormitories, drainage systems, and a sacrificial platform. One unusual feature is the series of steep “llama terraces.” While the main plaza is at 10,000 feet, you have to hike up and down steep slopes to see all that has been uncovered so far.
Entry terraces, Choquequirao.jpg
Royal houses, Choquequirao.jpg
Double doorway, Royal house, Choquequirao.jpg
View to the Llama terraces, Choquequirao.jpg
Llama and cria, Choquequirao.jpg
The Royal houses from the workshops, Choquequirao.jpg
After exploring Choquequirao, we descended through dry forest, the habitat of the rare spectacled bear (Paddington of storybook fame) – a mule driver saw two bears that same day although we didn’t have a sighting. At the bottom of the hot Río Blanco canyon, my guide Lenyn (His mother was a communist) decided it would be a good idea to go for a swim. I disrobed and was immediately swarmed by hundreds of biting sand flies, the main vectors of leishmaniasis, and am scratching the itches to this day. Also, despite the heat, the water was freezing. We then ascended 6,000 feet from the bottom of the canyon to our campsite.
Crucifix orchid (Epidendrum secundum var. aureum), Pinchaunuyoc, Choquequirao.jpg
Trail going up from the Río Blanco from Pinchaunuyoc, Choquequirao.jpg
Mules and muleteers, Quebrada Yuracmayo, Río Blanco.jpg
Upper valley of the Río Blanco.jpg
Putting up tents, Maizal.jpg
Bomarea sp. vine, bosque nuboso, Maizal.jpg
In the bosque nuboso, Maizal.jpg
Andean lupine (Lupinus mutabilis), bosque nuboso, Maizal.jpg
The next day, we passed old adits from silver mines and took interminable switchbacks up to the Victoria Pass (13,200 feet), from where we got a vista of a spread of snow-capped peaks. I participated in my second kintu ceremony, whereby Lenyn had me pick three coca leaves from his stash and we invoked the blessings of the mountain gods and poured beer into the ground before making a small shrine. The descent into the Yanama valley passed more old silver mines and thickets of Andean lupine, which is a food crop in that area.
Juan Carlos, Victoria silver mines.jpg
Adit, Victoria silver mines.jpg
Village mule train, Pase Victoria.jpg
Chuqitacarpu from the Pase Victoria.jpg
Pumasillu from the Pase Victoria.jpg
Mules and Pumasillu, Pase Victoria.jpg
Above the Yanama valley, San Juan Mines.jpg
Farms above Yanama.jpg

bobcat

Re: Vilcabamba Range (Peru): Choquequirao to Machu Picchu

Post by bobcat » August 22nd, 2016, 7:20 pm

The government has pushed a rough road through to Yanama in the past year and, rather than hike the road, we found a van that left at 3:00 a.m. to take some potato sellers to market. This dropped us off in the valley of the Santa Teresa River where, for one busy day, we hiked joined a section of the Salkantay Trek. The experience was like one of those popular circuits in Nepal: soda stands every kilometer or so, tent cities, and even an expensive lodge for hikers! This was also a valley of passion fruit (granadilla) and coffee plantations. I commissioned my first cuy (guinea pig) at Playa Sawayaca and then we hiked up over a high ridge to the ruins of Llactapata.
Footbridge in the marble canyon, Salkantay Trek.jpg
Telipogon orchid (Telipogon sp.), Río Santa Teresa.jpg
Lenyn at the Salto Pacchi, Río Santa Teresa.jpg
Bracteosa begonia (Begonia bracteosa), Río Santa Teresa.jpg
Soda store, Playa Sawayaco.jpg
Girl with flag, Fiestas Patrias, Playa Sawayaco.jpg
Campsite, Luqmabamba.jpg
Coffee plantation, Luqmabamba.jpg
This small complex had some ceremonial significance and looks directly across to Machu Picchu. Bingham also came here on his explorations, but the site was only mapped and studied beginning in 2003.
Two-piece sobralia (Sobralia dichotoma), Llaqtapata.jpg
Gateway, Llaqtapata.jpg
Water ditch and view to Machu Picchu, Llaqtapata.jpg
Machu Picchu view, descending Llaqtapata.jpg
The descent from Llactapata took us eventually to the Urubamba River and the end of the railroad line from Cusco. It’s a ten-kilometer walk along the line to Aguas Calientes, the gateway tourist town for Machu Picchu. This walk along the forested corridor is heavily touted in guidebooks and we encountered hundreds of day hikers, but also admired the stunning views up to the rugged peaks surrounding Machu Picchu.
Pene de mono bananas, Centro Hidroelectrica.jpg
Montaña Machu Picchu from Centro Hidroelectrica.jpg
The Río Urubamba, Jardines de Mandor.jpg
Train on the rails, Río Urubamba.jpg
Approaching Aguas Calientes, Río Urubamba.jpg
The next day it was up to Machu Picchu itself. I decided not to hike: we wanted to be there at 6:00 a.m. when it opened, so most of the walk would have been in darkness. The shuttle buses (There is no road access to the outside world) begin rolling at 5:30, we were in line at 4:00, and we got the 11th one to beat most of the 5,000 or so visitors that day. Machu Picchu is still all it is hyped to be: a beautiful setting and a well-conceived route that steers visitors around in an orderly fashion, with lots of guards to make sure people are being good and not feeding the resident llamas. Toilets are outside the gates and there aren’t even any garbage cans or souvenir stalls inside the complex itself.
Bus line at 4-30 a.m., Aguas Calientes.jpg
View to Huayna Picchu, Machu Picchu.jpg
Closer view from the terraces, Machu Picchu.jpg
Guardian huts, Sacred Rock, Machu Picchu.jpg
Looking down to the Urubamba, Machu Picchu.jpg
View to the Temple of the Three Windows, Machu Picchu.jpg
The cultivation terraces, Machu Picchu.jpg
Current wisdom says that Machu Picchu was developed as a winter (dry season) retreat for Inca royalty as it sits at a lower elevation than Cusco. The inner complex had only one entrance gate and contained within were the important temples, royal dwellings, the residence of priests and celestial virgins as well as a factory zone (metalworkers, weavers, etc). Bingham found a site that, although known to some locals, had never been sacked by the Spanish, the Incas having destroyed the access road after the conquest and the jungle did the rest. Restoration mainly consisted of simply removing vegetation with about 20% of the site receiving some kind of enhancement, such as putting thatch roofs on some of the buildings.
Looking to Huayna Picchu, Machu Picchu.jpg
Puente Inca, Machu Picchu.jpg
The main complex from the Inca Trail, Machu Picchu.jpg
Appproaching Intipunku, Inca Trail, Machu Picchu.jpg
View from the House of the Guardians, Machu Picchu.jpg
Temple of the Sun, Machu Picchu.jpg
Periscope view, Machu Picchu.jpg
At the end of the day, before taking the train and a taxi back to Cusco, I relaxed on the main thoroughfare of Aguas Calientes with a cold Cerveza Cusqueña and watched the steady stream of fellow tourists and then the Hiram Bingham, one of the world’s most expensive luxury trains, trundle by.
The Hiram Bingham, Aguas Calientes.jpg

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 22nd, 2016, 8:12 pm

Wow... amazing....

Peder

Post by Peder » August 22nd, 2016, 11:30 pm

I participated in my second kintu ceremony, whereby Lenyn had me pick three coca leaves from his stash and we invoked the blessings of the mountain gods and poured beer into the ground before making a small shrine.
After doing such a sacrilegious deed to the beer, I am surprised that the mountains did not crumble on you!

That is a fantastic trip report. Those trails, the views and the Inca ruins seem to come together into a sublime experience.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 23rd, 2016, 5:49 am

That must have been cool seeing the Macho Picchu view in person. Amazing trip I'm sure...

Limey

Post by Limey » August 23rd, 2016, 8:35 am

What an incredible place. Maybe I could do that hike if I rode the mule. :D

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » August 23rd, 2016, 9:14 am

Awesome. I was in Peru in 2013 and we did some small scale hiking (up to ruinas above Pisac and Ollantaytambo), but nothing like this:

We skipped Machu Picchu as well, which I kind of regret now, but we hadn't gotten tickets in advance (their website doesn't seem to work very well in the US) and by the time we were there and decided we had spare time in Cusco, it would've been too complicated to get to Machu Picchu and back for our flight home. It looks like you didn't do the additional climb to Huayna Picchu? That was on my list if we'd been up there - the summit and its ruins look super cool. But I also am predisposed to vertiginous places...
bobcat wrote:Cusqueña
Mmmmm the champagne of beers of Peru! :lol: (We drank it frequently as well. Pretty cheap after you get your bottle deposit back.)

How was the cuy? In addition to not eating meat, we also didn't feel up for the 60 soles price (in Cusco, at least) and 4 hour wait for it to cook. A number of places had guinea pigs running around your feet or in an enclosure, which I guess is the Peruvian equivalent of a restaurant with its own free ranging chickens or a lobster tank.

Did you go to any other (non hiking) attractions near Cusco, like Maras or Moray? I thought both of those were neat. I still have salt from Maras.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » August 24th, 2016, 11:09 am

Wow. This is so cool. Thanks for posting this. It looks like a great experience and those views! I've been trying to learn enough Spanish to make travel around Central and South America a bit easier and this certainly provides some motivation.

Tu tomas fotografías increíbles y las montanas mirar muy bonita. Quiero viajar a Peru. (I think that's correct :? )

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 24th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Peder wrote:After doing such a sacrilegious deed to the beer, I am surprised that the mountains did not crumble on you!
Peder: the beer is sacred! (Well, the Incas used corn beer, but the particular choice to appease the apus (mountain gods) these days is Cusqueña Premium Lager.
Bosterson wrote:It looks like you didn't do the additional climb to Huayna Picchu?
Right. Huayna Picchu needs an advance permit at extra cost. By the time I applied, i was informed I was three months too late!
Bosterson wrote:How was the cuy?
Slightly tough - strong incisors needed to tear it off the bone (but that's the way they like to cook it), but not gamey at all, more like hen (gallina) than chicken (pollo): in Peru, 'hens' are those tough-looking free-ranging creatures scratching around villages and are considered a rare delicacy compared to soft battery-bred 'chickens.' My cuy cost 50 soles and Juan Carlos plucked and cooked it within an hour. I decided to spring for it for a couple of reasons: (1) In my childhood, I always threatened to eat my younger brother's guinea pigs, Bubble and Squeak, but regrettably I never fulfilled that promise; (2) it was the Fiestas Patrias, Peru's national holiday, so I decided to treat my entourage as cuy is really only consumed by locals on special occasions.
The cuy, Playa Sawayaco.jpg
Bosterson wrote:Did you go to any other (non hiking) attractions near Cusco, like Maras or Moray?
I signed up for a Spanish-only tour of the Sacred Valley out of Cusco. At all points of the way, we got delayed by my fellow travelers, who were slow in leaving the lunch place and spent way too much time at souvenir markets. Thus, we spent enough time at Pisaq and Ollantaytambo, but could only do a driveby of Maras and missed Moray entirely.
sgyoung wrote:Tu tomas fotografías increíbles y las montanas mirar muy bonita. Quiero viajar a Peru.
Muchas gracias. La gente será agradecido por el intento de hablar el idioma, incluso si cometes errores flagrantes . . .

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » August 24th, 2016, 1:23 pm

bobcat wrote:
sgyoung wrote:Tu tomas fotografías increíbles y las montanas mirar muy bonita. Quiero viajar a Peru.
Muchas gracias. La gente será agradecido por el intento de hablar el idioma, incluso si cometes errores flagrantes . . .
Esto es bueno porque no hablo mucho español y hacer mucho errores. Gracias por opportunidad a practicar mi espanol.