Oneonta Gorge - 8-20-16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
olderthanIusedtobe

Re: Oneonta Gorge - 8-20-16

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » August 22nd, 2016, 9:28 pm

I went up Oneonta several times probably late 80's to early 90's. It wasn't exactly a secret back then, there were usually a few other parties, but it wasn't completely overrun like it appears to be now. I haven't been there in years. I keep thinking I'd like to see it again, but the sheer volume of people would probably take a lot of the fun out of it for me.

miah66

Post by miah66 » August 23rd, 2016, 11:47 am

Last summer when I did this hike, I was pleased/surprised/kind of sad to see baby salmon fry in the water below the logjam. I can't imagine they are going to keep coming back with the way this place is now. Seems like the USFS should do something to limit the habitat damage that is happening now.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

gratefultrails

Post by gratefultrails » August 23rd, 2016, 5:13 pm

I agree with the Instagram comment.. the masses follow the likes.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » August 23rd, 2016, 10:19 pm

Good grief.

Just tonight on the forums, I read about 440 people climbing south sister, then 120 hiking up eagle creek, then I see this conga line heading up Oneonta.

All this after experiencing massive crowds up in the north cascades.

As others have mentioned, social media is a big factor in this insane explosion. I for one am looking forward to the fad fading amongst the masses. It will, in time (i hope).

Number of selfies -Q- has posted to social media... 0

Smith

Post by Smith » August 24th, 2016, 9:08 am

Can't get too upset about lots of people liking the same things I like. But the trash situation is very unfortunate, I seem to pack out trash on most hikes I do.

Also, if you hike the Oneonta Gorge the first warm day of spring, you'll get the gorge all to yourself. ;)

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » September 1st, 2016, 1:08 pm

Some additional details in the news today here:

Oneonta Gorge: Forest Service calls crowds ‘concerning’

Source: Statesman Journal

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 1st, 2016, 2:28 pm

CampinCarl wrote:Some additional details in the news today here:

Oneonta Gorge: Forest Service calls crowds ‘concerning’

Source: Statesman Journal
That image is hilarious...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » September 2nd, 2016, 3:00 am

I agree to much of what has been discussed already. Like many others here, I have been hiking in the area for 40 years. Many popular places I now seldom go. The population of Portland has grown. So have recreational equipment places like REI that want that growth. Access to hiking for a dummy thru internet, etc. :P It's a triple whammy on all those places you used to see folks on weekends, but often could find yourself alone. Haven't gone into Oneonta since the 80s. I do still LOVE the fall. Less people and their vacationing families. No snow. Bugs are on the die off. Warm days and crisp nights. Short and sweet and it's almost here... ;)

TJ_T

Post by TJ_T » September 2nd, 2016, 10:38 am

Here's a video I took. I mean.. I know we all know what it's like. I am happy to see that on the busy days there is representation from the sherrif's office ticketing people parked on the line. So many vehicles obstructing traffic and creating dangerous situations, especially with the amount of people walking next to the cars.

Someone above mentioned it's only a matter of time before someone gets hurt on the log jam. A lot of us remember May of 2011 when a young man died on the log jam after falling and hitting his head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG_hOJCTlJM
I take pictures sometimes. And sometimes I post them here:
http://www.tjthornephotography.com
and
http://500px.com/TjThorne
and
https://www.facebook.com/tjthornephotography

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » September 4th, 2016, 11:47 am

TJ_T wrote:Someone above mentioned it's only a matter of time before someone gets hurt on the log jam. A lot of us remember May of 2011 when a young man died on the log jam after falling and hitting his head.
Not nearly as tragic, but on my most recent visit to Oneonta Gorge someone had slipped and was stuck in the log jam. As I was heading out there were EMTs awkwardly carrying a stretcher while navigating the logs. I didn't stick around because I wasn't able to help and gawking felt unseemly, so I don't know the extent of the hiker's injuries. However, the incident didn't seem to give anyone pause and the march over the logjam continued mostly unabated while the EMTs worked. It was a weird spectacle.