Plaza Lake and Salmon Huckleberry ridgelines 8/5

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
gratefultrails

Plaza Lake and Salmon Huckleberry ridgelines 8/5

Post by gratefultrails » August 5th, 2016, 7:26 pm

Plaza Lake is not easy to get to. I didn't dare attempt Abbot Rd. from what I've read, so I took the long way in from near Tumala Mtn. I parked at the Upper Fanton trailhead. The logging landing above the road is a little trashed, but retains some charm...

Then quickly up to the Old Baldy trail and over the Tumala divide toward Twin Springs. It was my first time experiencing the view point of the wrap-around hanging valley that contains Tumala Lakes... Wow ya

After the rockslide viewpoint, the trail goes through some up and down with a secret little view point of Wildcat, Huckleberry Mtn., and Eagle Creek Valley at an opening above the path. At Twin Springs, I found the source of the springs, which were just trickles. I chose the most suitable one and was able to refill with enough water to complete the journey. Then Abbot Rd. trotting.. ugh no! It's only about .8 miles one way, but it was nice to finally see the Plaza Lake trailhead. Switchbacking down from the ridgeline, there are brief views through the trees of Hood and the S. Fork Salmon drainage. Then the trees get big. Real big, old growth niceness.

Once I got to the lake, I saw a tarp with some misc. things spread over it beneath a massive Doug Fir. Here's a shot of that massive Doug, 6-7 ft in diameter...

The tarp freaked me out, as I had not seen anyone or any cars all day. So I sat on a log and just relaxed. After 10 minutes of getting used to a new place, I felt comfortable and had heard absolutely nothing. So I derobed and took a skinny dip with the newts and fish that I could see sharing the water.

I'm curious if anyone knows more about the geology of the area. It seems that Plaza Lake is a hanging lake of sorts... did glaciers carve the bowl it sits in? The Tumala Lakes wrap around valley also looks glacially created. Whatever the case, this is a very special area. So quiet, and so full of wildlife. I watched a flock of dozens of swallows shimmer through the air and skim the lake surface, all singing to each other in the most wonderful layers of sound. Here's a shot that kind of speaks to the hanging quality of Plaza Lake:

Then the long rollercoaster back to the car... for a little over 10 miles round trip. I gorged on huckleberries and saw nobody all day. Just a tarp. I want to go back with a friend to remove it, so people can enjoy this special place in peace. Here's a shot of Tumala Mtn's 3 mini-cones (4th not visible) just for fun:

Last edited by gratefultrails on August 5th, 2016, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Re: Plaza Lake and Salmon Huckleberry ridgelines 8/5

Post by retired jerry » August 5th, 2016, 7:33 pm

Every once in a while I see abandoned gear which freaks me out a little - the owner might suddenly appear and not like my presence.

I wonder what the story is...

miah66

Post by miah66 » August 8th, 2016, 11:19 am

I've been wanting to visit that lake for awhile now, along with the Memaloose lake up the road that is now closed by the weakened bridge. I love the Salmon-Huck/BOTW areas, and I have visited so few of the sites, but enough that I'm charmed. I'd go up and remove that tarp with you, possibly on a weeknight after work?
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

gratefultrails

Post by gratefultrails » August 9th, 2016, 6:41 pm

Hey Miah, I am up for going out there soon to extract the tarp. We would get back in the dark if we take the route I did and drive up after work in the evening. Unless you have a car that can handle Abbot Rd! Let's be in touch sometime in the next two weeks. Anyone else interested is, of course, invited.