Timberline Loop (July 22 - 25)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
rainrunner

Timberline Loop (July 22 - 25)

Post by rainrunner » July 26th, 2016, 6:48 am

(Ann here with cell phone photos) My son and I started from Timberline Lodge at noon last Friday heading counter clockwise around the mountain. The rivers were all pretty swift. Bugs were only at Cairn Basin and Paradise Park. The trail was in great condition except for the area from Eliot to Elk Cove with a fair amount of easily negotiable blow downs. Cairns were placed the best I've seen all the way around the mountain for navigation in tough spots and around river crossings.

Mt. Hood Meadows

Heading up out of the Clark

I carried a 15 oz. quilt made by local fabric designer, Violet Craft, and photographed it along the way.

The Newton was a very rough crossing.

Beautiful tree lined trail.

Gnarl Ridge

The snow fields were pretty decent to cross. Only one had a misleading set of prints.

We swung over to Cloud Cap Inn.

Then the Eliot crossing. The rope on the Cooper Spur side was out, but it is a pretty ok trail to get down.

Looking up at Mt. Hood from the Eliot.

Cairns led the way up towards the mountain and to a crossing where it fingers and looked SO MUCH better. The rope was in on the opposite side.

The trees are beautiful in here.

The Coe was moving fast. We crossed both the Eliot and Coe with a man from PA (below).

Some of the down trees.

The flower show began here.

The Ladd

Party at Cairn Basin. There were a lot of people camping on Saturday night.

Leaving Cairn Basin, the flowers were amazing.

The Sandy had a set of logs that are easy to negotiate and the slog up to Paradise Park hasn't gotten any easier. Again, there were a lot of people for a Sunday evening.

Kevin and our other son joined us at Paradise Park for the remainder of our trip. Here is one of his night shots with the Milky Way.

There you have it... 46 miles and 11,000' of elevation gain.
Last edited by rainrunner on July 29th, 2016, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

retired jerry

Re: Timberline Loop (July 22 - 25)

Post by retired jerry » July 26th, 2016, 7:02 am

Nice! except now I don't have to do it, I've got the full experience, I love all those spots

Was that a paid product placement by Violet Craft? :) 15 ounces ain't bad.

I think of this as more of a September trip, because of all the stream crossings

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » July 26th, 2016, 3:14 pm

Oh, lovely to read your report! My husband and I met you on Saturday evening. We were the couple on the out-and-back from Top Spur, looking for a spot near Elk Cove. You recommended we head up above Dollar Lake. We actually wound up finding a spot near the Cove but further south towards the mountain and away from the trail. We really appreciated your advice and will definitely try Dollar Lake/Barrett Spur next time: thank you!

I saw your Swag post on Friday and I wondered if it was you when we met you. I should have said hi but my husband is the extrovert in the family and...I didn't! Would have liked to meet Swag too! As you maybe know from my "likes" on his Facebook posts, he's a favorite of mine. :D

Heidi
Fields of Flowers.jpg
PS: that quilt is fabulous!
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » July 26th, 2016, 6:54 pm

I haven't hiked this yet but your photos are killer! I'll have to get up there this year. Thanks for the report

tre

Post by tre » July 26th, 2016, 8:13 pm

Thank you! I am doing the same in 2 weeks and appreciate the preview! And the update on the ropes!

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » July 26th, 2016, 9:48 pm

Jerry, no kidding about the water crossings. They were rough. Being an avid quilter, I loved being able to bring Violet's quilt along. 15 oz. to me means forfeiting a beer or for you, Ever Clear. ;)

Heidi, I wish you would have said who you were. I'm glad you found a spot.

Greenjello, thanks.

tre, I'm pretty paranoid with exposure and river crossings and manage to make my way around just fine.
John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 27th, 2016, 5:38 am

ha, ha,... yeah, Everclear - 95% alcohol. No reason to carry extra water. Not that I've never carried beer on a backpack.

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » July 27th, 2016, 10:09 am

rainrunner wrote:Heidi, I wish you would have said who you were.
Me too!!! Not sure if I should blame introversion or being raised around all those reticent Minnesotan Norwegians Garrison Keillor has brought to life so well. :lol:

In any case, your trips and photos are always an inspiration. Looking forward to doing our own round-the-mountain next year. (This year we're busy getting ready for another Sierra trip.)
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

kac

Post by kac » August 1st, 2016, 9:58 am

Thanks for the interesting and informative trail report. Can you give us a few more details on the various stream crossings? We are planning the loop in mid-August. Any details will be appreciated!

Keith

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » August 4th, 2016, 6:08 am

Keith, my 6' 4" son rock hopped (sometimes wet shoes) all the river crossings and I used crocks for most. Read up on this site about the Eliot crossing. follow the cairns, make safe choices and have a great time!
Ann
John Muir