Serene Lake Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
miah66

Serene Lake Loop

Post by miah66 » July 25th, 2016, 2:01 pm

A few pics from a weekend backpacking trip.

Beginning at the Shellrock Lake TH to save the difficult and time consuming drive to Frazier Turnaround TH. This was the first time I have attempted the route from this start point, and aside from the very full parking lot and large groups camped on the trail at Shellrock Lake, I would say it's preferable. It adds 1 mile each way to your hike.

I counted 19 cars parked at the small trailhead parking lot and along the road Saturday at around 10:30 am. There were more along the road when we returned the next day. Very popular area, given it's remote location.

Shellrock lake is quite nice, although the cooler crowd is noticeable.

Once past, you continue uphill to a jct with the abandoned Frazier Turnaround 4610-240 spur road (Grouse Pt trail #517) You can go either direction to begin the loop, however for this trip I went directly to Serene Lake. Turn left and continue through a open area below the summit of Frazier Mtn. You can see Mt Jefferson on the horizon, and a partial view of Mt Hood behind you through the trees. Soon you reach a small "Trail" arrow pointing left and you leave the road alignment. Looking for beta on where this spur/road continues to. Any info?

Continuation of the road is visible in Satellite view:

The buggy enclave of Cache Meadow. Some standing water keeps mosquitoes buzzing, though the flowers were quite nice.

Asters, mtn dandelions, paintbrush, larkspur, and even some bog orchids

Cache Meadow camp

I feel sorry for whoever camps here! :lol:

nice viewpoints to the North/East at the trail #512/517 jct

Once down at the lake, the area was very busy already with lots of tents set up all around the shore. Since we arrived (relatively early) were able to find a nice spot near the lake outlet, and all evening group after group continued to arrive well into the dark. I think it might have been the busiest spot I have ever camped, though it's a big area so people were spread out quite a bit. I would consider it akin to camping at a popular drive-in lake campground.

A relic of a bygone era (in more ways than one)

At the lake we spotted an Osprey, lots of newts, a frog, trout were jumping, and I heard owls hooting at night.

The next morning we continued hiking, past a viewpoint of Indian Ridge on the opposite side of the S Fork Roaring River Valley

We cruised past the Rock Lakes, visiting Middle Rock lake as we had been there once years ago. There were people camped there too, of course. The water was warm enough to swim in all of the lakes, including Serene lake, though beach access is not always easy to find.

~11.5 miles, 3200' eg.
Last edited by miah66 on July 26th, 2016, 8:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

sprengers4jc

Re: Serene Lake Loop

Post by sprengers4jc » July 25th, 2016, 2:29 pm

*duplicate
Last edited by sprengers4jc on July 25th, 2016, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » July 25th, 2016, 2:30 pm

Sounds fabulous but none of your pictures are showing for some reason.
-Unknown

miah66

Post by miah66 » July 25th, 2016, 2:36 pm

stupid google. try again?

Instagram @pdxstrider

Chazz

Post by Chazz » July 25th, 2016, 6:33 pm

Most if the pics seem to be offline for me.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » July 25th, 2016, 6:53 pm

All but four are showing now. Those four appear like this:
Attachments
Capture.PNG
-Unknown

pablo

Post by pablo » July 26th, 2016, 3:59 pm

Hey Miah,

Nice report.
Soon you reach a small "Trail" arrow pointing left and you leave the road alignment. Looking for beta on where this spur/road continues to. Any info?
The spur road continues until it gets overgrown and dies out. You could have used it and a short bushwhack west to cut out the Cache Meadow piece and join up with the #517 a little further west. The 'whack is easy as the understory is pretty clear.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

miah66

Post by miah66 » July 26th, 2016, 4:53 pm

You could have used it and a short bushwhack west to cut out the Cache Meadow piece and join up with the #517 a little further west. The 'whack is easy as the understory is pretty clear.

--Paul
I kind of assumed that, but I wondered if there would be any steep sections. Looks like you might even be able to get down to upper rock lake that way. This bushwhack would save you from having to go all the way down to cache mdw before turning and going all the way back up to the 517. Might try it next time.

Instagram @pdxstrider

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » July 26th, 2016, 6:47 pm

Nice! This is a classic loop that I've done every year since I was in high school! Although you ran into quite the crowd at Serene, I rarely see many folks on this hike. I'm always out there on weekdays though :D I think frazier turnaround road helps to keep the traffic down a bit. I can't imagine camping at cache meadow as the mosquitoes are thick and there aren't really any views to be had. Maybe a hunters camp?

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » July 27th, 2016, 9:13 am

There is also an abandoned shortcut trail that goes from the Shellrock outlet creek, up over the saddle, ending at the Cache Meadow junction. Its hard to see looking up at it from the east, but you may notice a bare unsigned post right before crossing the creek. When you see that, just turn straight up the hill and you will find evidence of a trail. Trail is easy once you find it. Much easier coming back from the other direction though.

Interesting to hear about the crowds. I've only ever been to the area in October and very few people are there at all.