Mt Adams: Riley Creek to Crystal Lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Mt Adams: Riley Creek to Crystal Lake

Post by drm » July 25th, 2016, 6:24 am

This hike on the west side of Mt Adams doesn't get a lot of attention but is quite nice. I usually backpack and stay at Crystal Lake, but had places to be Sunday so made a dayhike of it. About 6 miles one way and 2600 feet EG. The Riley Ck trail gets you to the PCT and from there you must XC between a half and 3/4 mile to this lake. There are a number of possible routes and you can get a map and figure it out. A ranger told me there were about 500 people on the South Climb route the same day, a one-day record as far as anybody at the ranger station can remember. I saw about 10 people.

The Riley Creek Fire last year burned the central section of this hike, but only about a half mile's worth on the trail.

Mosquitoes were out but in moderate quantities most places.

flowers at the trailhead

you reach the burn in about 3 miles, near this meadow, which is where the fire teams camped for weeks. You can barely tell now.

where the burn meets the green

woodpeckers love the dead trees

many ponds, and some mosquitoes, in the middle of the hike

approaching Riley Meadows, and nice views

Riley Creek already at mid-to-late August levels

Crystal Lake at 6300' and tree line. Views of Adams, Rainier, St Helens, and Goat Rocks

the terrain above is a delite for alpine wanderers. I didn't go this time, but there are more lakes up there, and a high traverse via The Hump and The Bumper to Horseshoe Meadow is always a great option, particularly for those who like alpine botany

retired jerry

Re: Mt Adams: Riley Creek to Crystal Lake

Post by retired jerry » July 25th, 2016, 8:31 am

I agree, west side is nice but not that well known

You can walk up to the base of Adams Glacier. Primitive trails at places. Lot's of rock fall.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » July 25th, 2016, 6:25 pm

Very nice.
I hiked to crystal lake last wed, but via stagman ridge.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 29th, 2016, 2:26 pm

Intrigued! Where's the trailhead for this? (On FR23?)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » July 29th, 2016, 2:33 pm

We'll probably be backpacking to Crystal Lake this Sunday–part of a longer 6-day shuttle trip.

How many campsites are there at Crystal, Dean? Does it tend to be crowded/full? If it is full, is there anywhere else above Crystal Lake where we can pitch 2 tents?
- Previously ElementalFX

-Q-

Post by -Q- » July 29th, 2016, 4:41 pm

kepPNW wrote:Intrigued! Where's the trailhead for this? (On FR23?)
Indeed.
There is a nice kiosk there, but you can't see it from the road. There is no indication along FR 23 that a trail or trailhead exists there. Only clue is a wide shoulder for 2-3 cars to park at.

Both Riley and stagman are great approach routes

drm

Post by drm » July 30th, 2016, 5:39 am

The Riley Creek trailhead is on FR 23 north of Trout Lake between mile markers 38 and 39. The parking area was enlarged last year so that the fire fighters could park there. The newer kiosk is sort of visible through the trees.

Crystal Lake is relatively popular and you will not likely have it to yourself on a Saturday. I expect to be passing by later today, but not camping there.

There are only two established campsites at Crystal Lake, and one is small and not very level. But plenty of other spaces can be found. A big rock at the lower end of the lake has a flat spot on top if you clamber up. More can be found above the lake, and at most 10 minutes above is yet another lake, which I call Teardrop Lake. Not sure if there is a spot next to it, but I think I remember a large flat gravel area nearby.

As Fluttershy mentioned in his recent approach, Riley is probably the lushest hike on Adams. Stagman is a good approach, but is almost entirely burned. It does get cleared of logs every year.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 30th, 2016, 6:17 am

Thanks for the tips! Have had Stagman Ridge on the mind, and now just need to decide which way to go. Looks like easier TH access this way, which might offer a little more trail time, eh? :)
Karl

drm

Post by drm » July 31st, 2016, 1:46 pm

Riley TH is right on 23, Stagman is about 4 miles of good gravel roads off road 23, but is much closer to Trout Lake.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 1st, 2016, 11:33 am

drm wrote:Riley TH is right on 23, Stagman is about 4 miles of good gravel roads off road 23, but is much closer to Trout Lake.
We hit Stagman yesterday. Really beautiful! Especially from Lookingglass Lake on up to The Hump. :D
Karl