A day of bipolar weather at Cooper Spur.

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Boozeman

A day of bipolar weather at Cooper Spur.

Post by Boozeman » July 22nd, 2016, 6:14 pm

I got a late start on my hiking day on Thursday. I had planned on hitting Cooper Spur AND Tamanawas Falls, but I wound up getting to the Cooper Spur parking lot at about 2:30pm. It was my first time doing this hike, so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. All that I knew was that there was a stone shelter somewhere up there and I was meaning to find it. Turns out, not that hard to find. :D

When I reached the shelter around 3-3:30, Mt Hood was pretty socked in with clouds. I could see a few openings in the cloud cover, so I chilled at the stone shelter and was entertained by the ever amusing Golden Mantled Ground Squirrels. One of them, who I assume has been receiving handouts from people, practically climbed up in my lap as I sat on one of the boulders. Once she realized that I wasn't giving out treats she got bored and went off to do squirrel stuff.

After about 20 or 30 minutes I got my first break in the clouds and took a few pics. Then it seemed to clear up a lot more, so I went out exploring. I had the whole area to myself the entire time. There were folks higher up the ridge, but nobody was down where I was. I decided to head up to the ridge and see what I could see, but some majorly ominous clouds started flowing in about 2/3 of the way up and I was aware of some storms that were predicted to blow in that evening. I thought the storms came early and started heading back down. It got pretty dark and really windy for awhile and then just cleared right up about a mile and a half from the parking area. Oregon weather is a fickle beast.

Is the trip up to Tie-In-Rock worth the huffing and puffing to get there? I was just going to check it out to add some mileage to the hike, but didn't know what the views were like. Maybe I'll get a chance to check it out next time. :lol:
Attachments
CS1.jpg
Some of the beautiful flora on the way up to the stone shelter. There was an amazing amount of green along the hike for how desolate the drive up was.
CS2.jpg
I named this squirrel, Squeek. She was extremely inquisitive. She tried to steal my hiking poles and then started "Chirping" at me to give her a treat...or to tell me to get off of her boulder.
CS3.jpg
The majestic Golden Mantled Ground Squirrel. Lord of the Alpine regions. :)
CS4.jpg
Here's the stone shelter with Hood in the background. Really cool area with lots of flowers around. I set out on one of the side trails after I took a ton of pics here.
CS5.jpg
There were still a lot of high altitude flowers in bloom. Not Paradise Park blooming, but surprising for such a rocky area. If you head up here, make for that cairn. Great views from that spot.
CS6.jpg
This view made me look around for Sherpas and yetis. I didn't see either. If you look closely, there's a cool snow melt waterfall gushing out by the canyon.
CS7.jpg
Once the clouds cleared up, the views were pretty spectacular.
CS8.jpg
I thought that I'd try for Tie-In Rock or , at least, somewhere along to upper ridge. The weather had other plans though.
CS9.jpg
It's a weird feeling seeing clouds "Flow" over the mountain like a tidal wave. I decided to make for lower and safer ground.
CS10.jpg
20 minutes after the first clouds started rolling in, it was like Armageddon. The sky went black and the winds kicked up. I was just waiting for lightning to start blasting out of the sky.
CS12.jpg
45 minutes later, as if it never happened, the clouds were just gone. I still feel like erring on the side of caution was the right thing to do. Kinda bummed though.
CS11.jpg
I saw this guy on my way back to the parking area. He seemed perfectly content to watch me watching him for about fifteen minutes.

Paul2

Re: A day of bipolar weather at Cooper Spur.

Post by Paul2 » July 22nd, 2016, 10:08 pm

Ha, I had a similar experience last Sunday. I started at 5 pm, got maybe a mile past the Shelter and everything turned really foggy. Hood had only been partially out the whole time. I probably should have turned around then, but the urge to summit the ridge won out. And what do you know, everything started to clear out when I reached Tie-in rock. Completely clear on the way down! Definitely a fabulous hike!
View on way in:
SAM_0228.JPG
View from near Tie in Rock, I made it all the way down the ridge. At the end a sloped snowfield begins that looks like it goes all the way to the top.
SAM_0230.JPG
Heading down:
SAM_0238.JPG
I've been wandering early and late, from New York City to the Golden Gate, and it don't look like I'll ever stop my wandering.
-James Taylor

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 23rd, 2016, 5:11 am

"He seemed perfectly content to watch me watching him for about fifteen minutes"

It's weird how deer hang around sometimes. Even threaten to walk on my stuff. I'll have to yell at them to move away.

It's like people are feeding them, but it doesn't seem like they would eat human food.

Maybe they like salt from urine. Maybe they're just curious.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 23rd, 2016, 8:27 am

Boozeman wrote:Is the trip up to Tie-In-Rock worth the huffing and puffing to get there? I was just going to check it out to add some mileage to the hike, but didn't know what the views were like.
Yeah, it's pretty awesome. The glacier and summit views are just totally "in your face!" up there. I've gone up as high as 9000' in August. Totally worth it.
  • https://youtu.be/k6c1HzSJEuE
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

markesc

Post by markesc » July 24th, 2016, 7:05 am

Nice wildlife shot!

StormRider

Post by StormRider » July 28th, 2016, 3:44 am

retired jerry wrote: It's like people are feeding them, but it doesn't seem like they would eat human food.

Maybe they like salt from urine. Maybe they're just curious.
They will definitely eat people food. As a kid at a ski resort not on hood we feed some deer that came up to our lodge, they gladly ate the potato sticks we had, which of course are very salty.