Vista Ridge 7.1.16 (Wildflowers and Blowdowns)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
weathercrazy

Vista Ridge 7.1.16 (Wildflowers and Blowdowns)

Post by weathercrazy » July 5th, 2016, 6:15 am

First of all, I'd like to know if anyone has any trail pictures from Vista Ridge BEFORE the fire. I'd like to see pictures before the Eden Park Junction. I had tried to hike the trail 3 separate times and was stopped by 1) A flat tire 2) A dead battery and 3) The fire...so I never saw it before.

That being said, Vista Ridge has become one of those special trails to me that I will hike over and over to see the transformation taking place. Already, I notice the views of Mt. Hood are getting better as more and more snags fall from the wind. I also notice the vegetation is slowly taking over again...and changing.

I saw NOT ONE PERSON during this hike on a sunny, pre-holiday Friday in July. I was astounded!

Wildflower Update: Lilies are mostly spent on the trail until you get close to the Eden Park junction. The bear grass was amazing from pretty much start to finish. The flowers overall are just over two weeks BEHIND last year.

There are lots of trees down over the trail. Lots. I counted 26 before the first small dip that gets you views of Hood and another 25 or so after that. There is one area where you have to leave the trail for a distance to get around them. That being said, it's still an amazing trail! I tried clearing some of the smaller stuff.

Okay, on to the pictures, very avalanche lily and bear grass heavy!

Opening pic:

All pictures:

http://www.naturespixpdx.com/Landscapes ... /i-qhdBZsT

On the way in...

The trees are just amazing!

Bear grass galore!

Here's just a taste of some of the blow down...

And the one section where you leave the trail to the right (west)

Here is another view from the south side of this coming back:

I see Mt. Hood peaking through...

Then came the avalanche lilies...

Even their shadows were interesting

I don't leave the trail so I don't trample flowers, but that doesn't mean I'm not in the dirt...

Even at 34 years old, I think this tree is hilarious. It looks like it was screaming as it fell...

Soon enough I passed the junction with Eden Park. I knew I wasn't going to go too much further. The snow picked up here and was pretty steady around/after the Timberline Trail junction.

Hood...enough said

Lots of mountains out and great cirrus clouds:

Back to the lilies

I didn't see as much lupine this trip.

Peeling bark:

Did I mention the bear grass was awesome?

And to finish if off, a few rhodies on the way to the trail (between 3,300' and 4,000' they were blooming.)

neilsonw

Re: Vista Ridge 7.1.16 (Wildflowers and Blowdowns)

Post by neilsonw » July 5th, 2016, 10:16 pm

Thanks for the report, I was curious about conditions in this area. That picture with the midair bee is killer :P

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 6th, 2016, 5:58 am

I share your interest in before/after pics. Vista Ridge (post fire) was my first hike after a looooong rehab period, so that trail has some special meaning for me. I have lots of pre pics (both snowy and bare) in my brain only.

Good eye on the screaming tree (that would be a great band name...oh, wait, it was). I find faces in rocks all the time.

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » July 6th, 2016, 7:19 am

Chip Down wrote:I share your interest in before/after pics. Vista Ridge (post fire) was my first hike after a looooong rehab period, so that trail has some special meaning for me. I have lots of pre pics (both snowy and bare) in my brain only.

Good eye on the screaming tree (that would be a great band name...oh, wait, it was). I find faces in rocks all the time.
Ya, I wish I had hiked it before the fire, but oh well. Again, I'm excited to see the re-growth coming up!

wnshall

Post by wnshall » July 6th, 2016, 8:01 am

Great photos! The avalanche lilies are gorgeous. Love that hike.

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » July 6th, 2016, 2:10 pm

wnshall wrote:Great photos! The avalanche lilies are gorgeous. Love that hike.
The fire certainly changed the trail, but the wildflowers would be nothing like they are without the sun...

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » July 7th, 2016, 11:13 am

My albums from Vista Ridge date back to 2007. Most all times I did the full loop so what you're looking for might be in there. Keep in mind the older ones are with a film camera and thus lower quality...
If you scroll down towards then you'll pass many others too..
http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » July 7th, 2016, 3:14 pm

Thank you but I don't see any from before? I see a few Vista Ridge galleries though?
pdxgene wrote:My albums from Vista Ridge date back to 2007. Most all times I did the full loop so what you're looking for might be in there. Keep in mind the older ones are with a film camera and thus lower quality...
If you scroll down towards then you'll pass many others too..
http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene

McChaix

Post by McChaix » July 7th, 2016, 7:54 pm

Your pictures are stunning! Really beautiful. I was on Cathedral Ridge July 4 and the lilies were just about done. Lots of beargrass, though. There was some blow down but nothing like what you encountered.