Three Fingered Jack Loop hike 7/01/16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
SkinnyD

Three Fingered Jack Loop hike 7/01/16

Post by SkinnyD » July 4th, 2016, 11:23 am

Started at Santium Pass at 6am. I took trail 4014 to Minto pass near Wasco Lake. Then followed the PCT back to my car. Total miles hiked was roughly 21 and it took me just over ten hours. The snow was not too bad. I didn't posthole at all in the sections that had snow still on the trail. This was my first time hiking in the area. I would like to go back when I can make it a two day backpacking trip. There were a lot of great places to setup camp throughout the entire loop.

justpeachy

Re: Three Fingered Jack Loop hike 7/01/16

Post by justpeachy » July 4th, 2016, 5:39 pm

Nice! That's a beautiful area. How were the mosquitos?

SkinnyD

Post by SkinnyD » July 4th, 2016, 9:21 pm

The skeeters were making their presence known. I was born in NH and lived in Maine for my entire life. Moving to Oregon recently has opened up a whole new world of hiking. I thru hiked the AT sobo in 2006. I've completed the New England 4,000 footers list, both summer and winter. I've been hiking solo most of my life. As I'm starting to hike out here I realize it's very different. With over 20 years of hiking I feel like a newbie out here. but IM LOVING IT!

Anyway, my point is I wished I had brought DEET. That being said the bugs are far worse in Maine in June/July. You can feel them pelting you as your hiking. Here they gang up on you when you pause for a break. Otherwise as long as I was moving I didn't notice the mosquitos. There are a lot of ponds on this loop which do not help at all.

This one was charging thru the field just as I entered it. Evidently it was feeding from the brook and a hiker further up spooked it right to me. This was the 3rd deer I saw on that 20.6 mile loop.

This hike kicked my butt. My calfs were in pain up until today. I could have taken much longer because I started at 6 and got back to my car at 4 o'clock. Now that I know the area next time I will explore a lot more and venture to the summit. I will start from Jack camp next time.(I think, don't have the map handy).

Thanks for the reply justpeachy!

SkinnyD

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » July 5th, 2016, 5:34 am

SkinnyD wrote:Now that I know the area next time I will explore a lot more and venture to the summit. I will start from Jack camp next time.(I think, don't have the map handy).
The hike to the bottom of Three Finger Jack from Jack Lake is stunning. Put it on your short to-do-soon list. It's a technical climb to the top from that side. There are easier ways (but still technical) from the PCT side.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » July 5th, 2016, 7:42 am

Great pics. I'll be in that area in September and looking forward to it.

FredericB

Post by FredericB » August 24th, 2016, 6:27 pm

I did my modified version of the loop this weekend, I was happy to see that the mountain goats are thriving :-)
I enjoyed the loop as well as climbing (almost) to the top. Canyon Meadows was my favorite part!
Here is a report with photos and GPS track :

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 24th, 2016, 6:32 pm

Love that deer pic. Especially the fact that if you hadn't mentioned it, a lot of folks would scroll right by without noticing, even though it's right at the trail.