6/4/16 - Wahtum Lake Overnight

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
nsutherl

6/4/16 - Wahtum Lake Overnight

Post by nsutherl » June 8th, 2016, 6:26 am

Looking at getting more miles in before my PCT section hike this summer, I set out for a 30-mile loop from Eagle Creek TH to Wahtum Lake and back. With all the talk of Eagle Creek trail being "closed" due to the Tish Creek bridge wipeout, I chose Ruckel Creek trail (405) to gain Benson Plateau. The trail is in pretty good condition with the exception of the first 0.25 mile. It looks like there was a washout, taking the trail along with it. Once up and away from the creek, the trail was straightforward if not steeeeep. There were a few nice viewpoints along Ruckel Creek trail of the Gorge.

Once up on Benson Plateau, miles came easier and eventually I was on the PCT heading for Wahtum Lake. The side trip up Chinidere Mtn is a must-do. The views are absolutely stunning. After filtering a few liters at the lake, I turned around and headed back to Benson Plateau to camp for the night. I made it to the northern end of the plateau (19 miles for the day) before setting up my new tent (Bearpaw Bear Den).

The second day was less eventful, an 11-mile downhill trek back to the car. Teakettle Spring along the PCT was cold and delicious.

Ruckel Creek trail washout (trail follows the bank to the right of the creek)

Trying to show the steepness of the trail

Looking back down steep sections

Viewpoints along Ruckel Creek trail

From Chinidere Mountain, Mt. Hood

Mt. Adams

Mt. Rainier

Wahtum Lake

retired jerry

Re: 6/4/16 - Wahtum Lake Overnight

Post by retired jerry » June 8th, 2016, 6:37 am

that's what I did a couple weeks ago, except back on the PCT - adds a few miles

yeah, Ruckel Creek trail to Benson Plateau is steep!!!

and it rained a lot and I never had any views

nsutherl

Post by nsutherl » June 8th, 2016, 6:41 am

retired jerry wrote:that's what I did a couple weeks ago, except back on the PCT - adds a few miles
I too took the PCT back into Cascade Locks, then Trail 400 back to Eagle Creek. The extra miles were well worth it. I wouldn't have wanted to hike down Ruckel Creek trail! Much too steep for my knees and ankles after 20 miles the day before.

drm

Post by drm » June 8th, 2016, 6:50 am

Eagle Creek is not closed. It may have been briefly, but it is open and Tish Creek is not a problem. But maybe you enjoyed your steepness!

nsutherl

Post by nsutherl » June 8th, 2016, 8:47 am

drm wrote:Eagle Creek is not closed. It may have been briefly, but it is open and Tish Creek is not a problem. But maybe you enjoyed your steepness!
This is what I looked like halfway up... Let's just say I was happy when it was done!

Thanks for your input regarding Eagle Creek. When I was there, the trailhead signage simply said the bridge was not crossable and that fording the creek is not recommended. Later that day, I talked to 3 groups who came up Eagle Creek, all of whom said the "ford" of Tish Creek was trivial, as you mentioned.

I am guessing that the Forest Service simply wants to fend off any of the unsuspecting and/or unprepared masses.

drm

Post by drm » June 8th, 2016, 9:57 am

Otoh, I made my knees a personal promise never to hike the Ruckel Creek trail ever again to or from the plateau. So far I have kept that promise. It's not just steep, but eroded and slippery. There are other better maintained big uphills in the Gorge when I want that kind of workout.