Exploring Hells Canyon - May 9-13, 2016

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Exploring Hells Canyon - May 9-13, 2016

Post by justpeachy » May 24th, 2016, 8:48 pm

This year for our annual spring trip my sister and I headed over to Hells Canyon. It was beautiful! May is a great time to go since everything is still green, the flowers are blooming, and the temps are reasonable. I can't imagine being here in summer when the thermometer easily hits 100+ degrees.

I'll spare you the long detailed report (unless you want to go read it on my blog). So here are the highlights of our trip.

We camped at an Idaho Power campground called Hells Canyon Park. On Tuesday we hiked up Eckels Creek, picked up the Kinney Creek Trail, then dropped back down on the Allison Creek Trail, completing the loop with a mile-long road hike back to the truck. It was still pretty green and we saw a lot of wildflowers. There was also a lot of poison ivy, and we had heard there were a heck of a lot of ticks too, but we only saw one the whole hike and neither of us got bitten. Quite a lovely hike!

On Wednesday, upon the advice of our campground neighbors (a very nice and friendly couple from Boise), we drove up the Kleinschmidt Grade. As we gained elevation we entered a ponderosa forest. The road was in great shape. A little steep and narrow in spots, but quite drivable. The last few miles on the spur to the Lynes communication tower was definitely rougher. So worth it, though! The views were spectacular!

After hanging out up there for awhile (it was hard to leave), we drove back down into the canyon then drove downstream to the Hells Canyon Dam. There is a little visitor center on the Oregon side and a riverside trail downstream of the dam (also on the Oregon side). There was a ton of poison ivy on this trail, but it was otherwise a pleasant hike. Very cool to see the un-dammed Snake River here.

Back on the Idaho side we took the Deep Creek Stairway down alongside the dam to river level. I hoped the stairway had recently passed a safety inspection!

On Thursday morning we woke up bright and early and broke camp. We picked up Road 39 and headed north. There had been some doubt as to whether this stretch of road would be open. Fortunately it was snow-free and tree-free. We saw LOTS of fallen trees that had been cleared to the side of the road. We took a slight detour to check out the Hells Canyon Overlook. It was overcast with bad light, but we could still see the views.

From Road 39 we turned onto Upper Imnaha Road. I didn't realize this, but that road is lined with many farms and ranches. Despite this, it was quite a pretty drive. In May it's all still quite green, and the river was gushing with snowmelt.

We were gawking at the scenery and driving slow and finally got to the Freezeout Trailhead at 10:20. We hiked up to Freezeout Saddle on what turned out to be more an equestrian trail than a hiking trail. It had been churned up by horses and then dried in the sun into an uneven trail tread. We got lucky and hit the bloom right at its peak. The wildflowers were great! And once we got to the saddle, the views were great too.

From the Saddle we hiked nine more miles, heading south on the Western Rim National Recreation Trail, then back to the trailhead via the Freezeout Creek Trail. We hit snow. Long stretches of the trail were a crumbly chewed-up mess because of the horses.

On Friday before heading home we visited Zumwalt Prairie. We drove the very pretty (and very rough - good thing we had the truck because the Outback couldn't have made it) 676 road, then we hiked up the Canyon Vista Trail where we saw views, wildflowers, and elk! After the hike we drove over to the Duckett Barn Information Center, which is a collection of interpretive panels with information about the preserve.

UTurn

Re: Exploring Hells Canyon - May 9-13, 2016

Post by UTurn » May 25th, 2016, 5:27 am

Beautiful! My husband has wanted to do this hike for some time but after his recent poison oak episode, this may change his mind. Great pictures, as usual!

Chase

Post by Chase » May 25th, 2016, 11:10 am

Peachy finds so many good hikes. That area looks so lush this time of year. Cool photos!

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » May 28th, 2016, 7:25 am

Great TR! You sure hit the sweet spot when it comes to gorgeous weather and abundant greenery & flowers! :D

This is one of the wilderness areas on our "to visit" list. So, this September, rather than hike down from the rim, we're going to raft the Snake and do hikes up from the river. This seemed like a good idea once it dawned on us that rafts can carry a whole lot more cold beer than we can in our backpacks! :D

MariposaMan

Post by MariposaMan » May 31st, 2016, 1:53 pm

Love the report and wonderful pictures! Backpacking/hiking this area is on my bucket list. May does seem to be one the better months to go. Years ago, when visiting the Wallowas, I drove through the Zumwalt Prairie to Buckhorn Viewpoint, where the view is mighty impressive. That the extent of my Hell's Canyon experience.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » June 2nd, 2016, 12:11 pm

Cheryl,

You sure picked the right time to be over there. We were on the Zumwalt Prairie about a month ago, and the flowers were just beginning to show.

We were there to set up a radio link for their little weather station, with a relay station on the top of Harsin Butte, which is the cone shaped thing in the background of your last picture.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » June 3rd, 2016, 12:46 pm

Cheryl,

You got me thinking about our time on the Zumwalt Prairie, and I remembered a book that I got to read most of while there. I am sure that you, being the book centric person that you are, would really enjoy it, now that you have seen a bit of the area.

Prairie Keepers, The, 2nd ed: Secrets of the Zumwalt (Northwest Reprint) Paperback – April 15, 2007

by Marcy Houle (Author)

She writes about her time doing a study of the hawks there, as a grad student, and her interactions with "the locals". She constantly had to prove herself, particularly to the men, but some of the women were pretty stubborn too.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"