Warner Peak (Hart Mtn NAR) 17-May-2016

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Re: Warner Peak (Hart Mtn NAR) 17-May-2016

Post by retired jerry » May 19th, 2016, 8:51 am

it is a "refuge" so that makes sense

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 19th, 2016, 11:32 am

retired jerry wrote:Maybe when those roads are open, it would be too hot anyway. There are closed gates when they're closed.
I thought the same; even with my limited abilities I do not think I would wait for the seasonal roads to open to visit.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » May 19th, 2016, 5:04 pm

Webfoot wrote:
retired jerry wrote:Maybe when those roads are open, it would be too hot anyway. There are closed gates when they're closed.
I thought the same; even with my limited abilities I do not think I would wait for the seasonal roads to open to visit.
It's not only the heat; the mosquitoes can be horrendous. Last time I went in the summer we had to cover up entirely, plus bug net hats, because you'd get eaten alive.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 19th, 2016, 7:37 pm

The only time I've done Warner Peak, it was around 1991 or so, just before the Blue Sky Hotel was closed. That's the little vacation getaway in a grove of ponderosa pines that was a refuge for the Order of the Antelope. The Order was instrumental, in the 1930s, to getting the refuge established and, as a reward, they got their own private getaway where they convened to cavort around naked, imbibe copiously of their favorite white lightning, let their hair down (if they had any), and generally indulge in other manly activities. Over the years, they included many state and national legislators, judges, police chiefs, mayors, etc - all males, of course.

We found the Blue Sky Hotel and poked around a bit - a lot of their paraphernalia was lying around but the cabins were shuttered. It was closed down the next year as the Feds had had enough of the shenanigans and it was decided the fraternity-like goings on were not appropriate for the late 20th century. Hiking up Warner Peak, we ran into a lot of deer and antelope - apparently the population has declined since then.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 19th, 2016, 11:22 pm

jessbee wrote: It's not only the heat; the mosquitoes can be horrendous. Last time I went in the summer we had to cover up entirely, plus bug net hats, because you'd get eaten alive.
Yuck! When would you expect that to start? Is the best window to visit this closing soon?

bobcat, that's some entertaining history for sure; thanks. Any thought about the apparent herd decline?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 20th, 2016, 5:43 am

To me, April or May or eraly June is best

The snow melts off sooner than a lot of places. It's east of the Cascades so it doesn't rain as much as some places. Just check out the weather report first. And the snow model.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » May 20th, 2016, 6:26 am

We were there just this week and there was no snow - other than a patch or two - for as far as we could see across the refuge. Of course, having said that, the weather forecast for that area for the next week includes 1-2" of snow from 4500' up! But it shouldn't stick for long. So I would say your best window for a visit - balancing snow, bugs, and heat - is between now and the middle of June.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » May 20th, 2016, 4:52 pm

Webfoot wrote:
jessbee wrote: It's not only the heat; the mosquitoes can be horrendous. Last time I went in the summer we had to cover up entirely, plus bug net hats, because you'd get eaten alive.
Yuck! When would you expect that to start? Is the best window to visit this closing soon?
I'd agree with the posters below. We hit the mosquitoes in early July, if I remember right. So spring and fall are your best bets.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos