Warner Peak (Hart Mtn NAR) 17-May-2016

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Warner Peak (Hart Mtn NAR) 17-May-2016

Post by VanMarmot » May 18th, 2016, 3:01 pm

If the OregonHikers search engine is to be believed, it's been a while since anyone visited this refuge. Charley (TR), retired jerry (TR?), and fettster (TR) made it out there in 2010 and jessbee in 2011 (TR) but few seem to have made the trek in the intervening years (or at least posted a TR about it). This is understandable since it's a good drive from Portland and almost a 6 hr one for us. Still, it was someplace we'd always wanted to visit and, with a high pressure ridge in place for a couple of days, we decided to go for it. We stayed in Lakeview and, after an early start the next morning, made it up to the gated TH by 8:30am [there's limited parking here, so, during the busy season(?), most guides suggest parking at the hot springs and walking 0.5 mi of old road to this gate]. Blue skys, light wind, 65F air temps - who would have thought since it was raining and snowing just the day before. There were also no flying, biting insects of any kind - will miracles never cease? We went S on the Barnhardy (or Barnhardi) Road catching our first view of Warner Pk about 1.3 mi in - where the old jeep trail cuts off to the W.

Then on to the old line cabin in Barnhardy Basin (the red pole structure is Oregon SNOLITE (not SNOTEL) site #1218) and up the gully behind it toward DeGarmo Notch.

We found this terrain to be pretty easy to move through XC - even more so as the sage brush got more stunted as we climbed higher - so, rather than go to the notch, we just contoured up from the cabin to the big saddle at 7400' about 1.3 mi from the summit. From there it was easy walking up the summit.

Once up there, a little Sound of Music action broke out as we were totally awed by the 360 degree view for at least 100 mi in every direction. It made us reflect on how many hikes we do that are mostly in the trees and how rare it is to do a hike where you have big, expansive views all the time.

After more awe, a snack, and an overflight by an F-15, we (reluctantly) headed down. There are several ways off this plateau but we elected to head straight down the 2nd gully N of the summit to the road junction at 6,899' (thus reversing the ascent route described in Bond's 75 Scrambles in Oregon). Yellow arrows are our descent route; red arrow is the road junction.

This isn't a particularly steep descent and the gully is mostly brush-free dirt until it levels out just before reaching the road. A stout wooden gate is the key directional feature here.

Then it was back N on the Barnhardy Road to the TH.

A moderate hike (9.2 mi RT, 2300' EG - if you start at the gate) in a stunning location, with views everywhere. There were no irritating bugs but we did see antelope, mule deer, a coyote, a crane, western tanagers, a long-tailed weasel, and innumerable ground squirrels in varying sizes. Terrain not unlike that in the Steens 50+ miles to the E but we could see these from the summit and their upper reaches are still covered in snow. Hart NAR is, however, snow free...

Last edited by VanMarmot on May 19th, 2016, 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

retired jerry

Re: Warner Peak (Hart Mtn NAR) 17-May-2016

Post by retired jerry » May 18th, 2016, 6:31 pm

That's a nice place for a hike

I camped at the Hot Springs Campground one night and used the hot springs, very nice. "Interesting" people.

romann

Post by romann » May 18th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Looks like really nice area. Didn't know there's 7000+ elevations in that corner of the state.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 19th, 2016, 12:40 am

This looks interesting but I cannot cover that much ground on foot. Can you tell me if any part of the red track is open to vehicles? Is the section labeled "jeep" still open to driving?

I can answer my own question: there is an official map of open and seasonal roads in PDF form.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » May 19th, 2016, 4:17 am

Beautiful! I love that hike. We were camped up there this past Thanksgiving weekend and hiked to Warner peak in the snow. Coldest camping trip I've ever done. But it sure beat the summer mosquitoes!

Did you see any wildlife or people?
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » May 19th, 2016, 5:37 am

romann wrote:Looks like really nice area. Didn't know there's 7000+ elevations in that corner of the state.
Warner is the highest in the refuge but most of the Hart Plateau is over 7000'. Twelvemile Pk (8144'), McDowell (7654'), and Crook Pk (7834') are in the range just to the W of Plush, along the Fremont National Recreation Trail. Crook is a fun hike. Further E, near Adel, there's Hawks Mountain (7234') and much further E is Steens Mtn (9733'), West Pueblo Ridge (8420'), Pueblo Mtn (8632'), and Alvord Pk (7132') - which we did on a less than bluebird day last year (TR).

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » May 19th, 2016, 5:43 am

jessbee wrote:Beautiful! I love that hike. We were camped up there this past Thanksgiving weekend and hiked to Warner peak in the snow. Coldest camping trip I've ever done. But it sure beat the summer mosquitoes!

Did you see any wildlife or people?
We saw antelope (but not on the NAR), mule deer, a coyote, a crane, western tanagers, a long-tailed weasel, a falcon, and innumerable ground squirrels. We heard lots of different birds, particularly in Barnhardy Basin around the old cabin. We didn't see anyone else during the hike. There were two groups camped in the upper campground and one down by the hot springs - and we found one guy in the visitors center using their power to run his laptop. Hard to imagine it ever gets "crowded" out here. We didn't check to see if any of these people were "interesting" (as retired jerry puts it) - but then we might have qualified as that ourselves. :?

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » May 19th, 2016, 5:47 am

Webfoot wrote:This looks interesting but I cannot cover that much ground on foot. Can you tell me if any part of the red track is open to vehicles? Is the section labeled "jeep" still open to driving?

I can answer my own question: there is an official map of open and seasonal roads in PDF form.
The "open" roads look to be good, wide gravel ones passable by passenger cars under most conditons. If the Barnhardy "seasonal" road is any indication, those types of roads would require high clearance at a minimum and maybe 4x4 in places. But you can see a lot of the refuge from the open roads.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 19th, 2016, 7:40 am

Maybe when those roads are open, it would be too hot anyway. There are closed gates when they're closed.

I camped out at 7500 feet below Hart Peak one night. Nice stars. That may be the highest place I've camped out.

I'm pretty "interesting". I think the demographic there is not a bad thing.

I wonder if there are hunters in the fall.

Koda

Post by Koda » May 19th, 2016, 8:06 am

retired jerry wrote:I wonder if there are hunters in the fall.
yes but not very many of them. The refuge has a lottery hunt and they only offer very few tags, one of the hardest to draw in the state. Antelope season is typically sometime in August. I dont know offhand if the refuge is even open for deer in the fall.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2