Eagle Creek to Wahtum Lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Re: Eagle Creek to Wahtum Lake

Post by drm » May 3rd, 2016, 9:02 am

There is no indication that I saw that the trail is closed. The signs I saw just said that fording the reek was not recommended. I think they may have closed it at first and then realized that closing the most popular trail in the Gorge due to a tiny creek crossing was not a good idea. Tish Creek will probably dry up soon.

One thing I forgot to mention: there was a rather LARGE pile of bear scat on the main trail just above the junction with Eagle-Tanner. It did not look dried out. So this bear was not that far from 7.5 mile camp. I know bear encounters in these parts are rare, but I'd still recommend hanging it.

ochocowalker

Post by ochocowalker » May 3rd, 2016, 11:23 am

I was up here on Saturday too, my third time in last six weeks, and noticed that the water level at the crossing at Tish creek bridge was down quite a lot from even two weeks ago.

People with kids and pets are crossing it fairly commonly now. Earlier the water level was definitely keeping some people away and they turned back.

Nice to see the lake is cleared out of snow already.
--
"Once a bear gets hooked on garbage, there's no cure." - Gary Snyder

jfitzsi1

Post by jfitzsi1 » May 4th, 2016, 9:35 am

Is that tent a StratoSpire? How do you like it? Experienced any misting on rainy days?

drm

Post by drm » May 4th, 2016, 12:22 pm

jfitzsi1 wrote:Is that tent a StratoSpire? How do you like it? Experienced any misting on rainy days?
Yes it is a Stratospire. The thing is I got it last year and it was such a dry year, though it did rain a bit on this trip at night. But I've owned other silnylon tents before it and never ever experienced the famed misting.

The tent has many configurations and that is useful but note that it has a large footprint for a one-person tent (i.e. it takes a lot of space). I've been on trips where there basically wasn't enough room to set it up. And while it has 2 large vestibules, the inside space is just okay. I keep thinking of using it without the inner but with a ground tarp and the space would be huge (but not 100% bugproof).

To be honest, if you're looking at Tarptents, the Rainbow is my recommendation. The Stratospire has a mesh-only version, which I like, but overall I've either owned or camped with friends with 4 different Tarptent designs and I think the Rainbow is their best design.

jfitzsi1

Post by jfitzsi1 » May 4th, 2016, 2:00 pm

Thanks! I am looking for a two person tent and the double rainbow is on my short list.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » May 4th, 2016, 6:23 pm

drm wrote:To be honest, if you're looking at Tarptents, the Rainbow is my recommendation. The Stratospire has a mesh-only version, which I like, but overall I've either owned or camped with friends with 4 different Tarptent designs and I think the Rainbow is their best design.
I have both a Rainbow and a Notch. The Rainbow is palatial, the Notch you wear like a sock in comparison. The Rainbow's primary downsides are (1) no dripless entry (rain falls directly on the floor when the door is open), (2) poor performance in wind, and (3) only one door (the Double has two).

(1) was enough to get me to try the Notch, and now that I've had a taste of the dual door thing I'll probably relegate the Rainbow to times when I'm staying in the same place for a while and will prefer the space. In a stiff wind you end up wearing the Rainbow all night, though in fairness, I never tried augmenting the basic structure with trekking poles.

ofuros

Post by ofuros » May 4th, 2016, 9:34 pm

Have a soft spot for waterfalls at the moment, enjoyed those varied pics, drm.
Mountains view are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/

ochocowalker

Post by ochocowalker » May 9th, 2016, 11:52 am

I was up at Wahtum Lake this last weekend, up and back via Eagle Creek. Conditions are about the same, though more snow has melted, there is still some on the shady spots on the south side of the lake, esp at the junction of PCT and ECT and the camp there. Easy to hike over. It's melting like crazy though.

Had the lake all to myself Friday (May 6) afternoon and night (as far as I could tell, anyway.) Met about half a dozen folks headed up to lake as I came back Saturday afternoon.

I did find this odd site at the camp there at the PCT/ECT junction: a neatly folded pair of pants, a pair of glasses, a small compass, and some fishing line weights on a log. Don't know who left them or who folded them, but there they are waiting to be claimed.

I also came across some some fresh bear scat on ECT just a bit north from the Tanner junction between it and 7 mile camp.
--
"Once a bear gets hooked on garbage, there's no cure." - Gary Snyder

widely

Post by widely » May 9th, 2016, 1:15 pm

No problems along entire length. small creeks to cross but easy, beautiful hiking. Around Wahtum on way to Chinidere Mountain the trail isn't 100% obviously, but basically the remaining snow and mush was the trail! keep lake on your right and you will be good. View from Chinidere Saturday 7-May was perfect- Mt Rainer north and Jefferson South were all easily visible.

Note-- The Eagle-Benson Trail between Eagle Creek and PCT is 2 miles+ of very very steep hiking with many downed tree to climb over. No snow left, but dang it could use a little work. .1 miles in from Benson there is a spring which you should take advantage of before your downward hike to Eagle Creek.

We too saw the folded clothing and glasses at Wahtum Lake!

Campsites at 7 1/2 mile are all good, mostly filled Saturday night, but there were still a few open and room to squeeze in if friendly.

-- Folks reported they could drive up to Wahtum Lake-- road was open and clear --

drm

Post by drm » May 9th, 2016, 2:20 pm

Did you check if anybody was swimming or boating when you saw those pants?

Eagle-Benson was completely cleared a couple of years ago by the Mazamas. Forest Service rarely gets to those connector trails and the burn in that section means that trees fall quite often there. It needs a serious log-out every year and is very hard to keep up with. I wonder how frequently the Mazamas are going to be able to go there and deal with it. Last time it took them multiple trips over two years to clear it. Best time to hike Eagle-Benson is right as the snowmelt finishes before the thick brush grows in for the season.

As to the Rainbow tent, I wonder what version you have. My friend's Rainbow did quite well in wind. It has a number of tabs along the lower edge that can be staked down tight. The Stratospire is pretty good in wind as such lightweight tents go.