Rogue River Hike 4/25 - 4/29

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Jim57

Rogue River Hike 4/25 - 4/29

Post by Jim57 » May 1st, 2016, 1:47 am

I did this hike last year with my brother in law Petr. We had to do it again! Graves Creek to Foster Bar. Most of the shuttle services didn't start til May. We were told that due to new forest service regulations off season river guide employees can't transport anymore. We found Galice Resort does it year round. The regular route ($115) is currently block by a landslide. So we opted for the longer drive around ($300).

The First day we hiked from Graves Creek to Bronco Creek. This hike has lots of creek crossing with and without bridges. Beauty everywhere. Nice weather with a gentle breeze. The second day we hiked from Bronco Creek to Tucker Flats. We thought Tucker Flats would be a good choice to sit the rain out on day 3. It has garbage cans, picnic tables, and nifty outhouses. It rained all night long. Woke up on day three with a break in the rain. We went over to the rogue river ranch. Got back to tucker and got under the tarps for an afternoon downpour. The forth day we hiked to Upper Tacoma Beach. I don't like camping on sand. But the view was wonderful. The next day we hiked to Foster Bar. Last year it was a crazy drive back to I-5. Gravel roads and such. This year we went to Gold Beach (pizza) and up the coast. I have never been that far down the Oregon coast. The drive home was beautiful as well.

The trail on the first half of the hike has been cleared of all debris and logs. One new easily crossed log and a three foot section scrambly trail. The second half has signs of work. But at least 5 logs are blocking the trail and are passible. Start to finish: POISON OAK. Oh and more POISON OAK. I had long sleeves on and still got it on one arm. At one point I flicked 4 ticks off my pant legs and Petr flicked one off his. We met lots of nice people on the trail.

Petr gave me some oreos . . . they are awesome trail food. Love some sour cream and cheddar lays chips too.

I'm still able to handle extra pack weight, so we took some ultra light chairs. They were worth it.

Usually I have cold cereal for breakfast. Tried it warm. Wow! Going to have more warm mornings in the future.

Now I'm home. Drying out everything and thinking about the wallowas in august>
Attachments
DSCN4486.JPG
Brother in law Petr at Graves Creek
DSCN4488.JPG
DSCN4497.JPG
Lots of creek crossings with bridges and lot without
DSCN4500.JPG
Whiskey Creek Cabin
DSCN4521.JPG
what is this?
DSCN4540.JPG
Tucker Flats campground after a night of rain.
DSCN4547.JPG
Extensive mining on Mule Creek. Hydro cannon used to blast the sides of the creek.
DSCN4551.JPG
Rogue River Ranch
DSCN4554.JPG
Day 3 afternoon rain at Tucker Flats
DSCN4567.JPG
DSCN4575.JPG
Love this log
DSCN4584.JPG
Start to finish Poison Oak abounds.
dscn4585.JPG
About 5 logs across the trail on the second half.
DSCN4588.JPG
Spent the night on the Upper Tacoma Beach.

VanMarmot

Re: Rogue River Hike 4/25 - 4/29

Post by VanMarmot » May 1st, 2016, 11:11 am

Great trip! Too bad you caught some of the waves of rain we've been having this year - but we've needed some relief from the last 2 years of drought!

Your unidentified flower looks like a California Groundcone. This (Boschniakia strobilacea, now Kopsiopsis strobilacea) is a member of the broomrape family that parasitizes the roots of nearby madrone trees and manzanita shrubs. It's found primarily in the Siskiyous of SW Oregon and NW California. Curiously, it's a parasite with flowers.

Image Image

ski1baxter

Post by ski1baxter » May 3rd, 2016, 7:34 am

FYI, Bear Camp Shuttle route is currently closed due to snow. The USFS and the Rogue River Outfitters are paying for the snow removal starting May 16th. The road is anticipated to open the week of May 22nd. Currently shuttles are being done over the Eden Valley Route to the north. About 80% paved with spots of gravel. Cars are just getting a little dirty on the shuttle.

There are no slides on the road. Once the snow is removed they'll be able to address any other issues.

Jim57

Post by Jim57 » May 4th, 2016, 8:23 pm

If anybody happens by Bunker Creek in the next few months, I lost my spare set of hearing aides there. Forgot to put them on and then shook my tent inside out to get out debris. Couldn't find them.

This year we took larger size medium plastic gold pans along. Lot's of fun, getting better at panning. Haven't found anything but lots of cute rocks.