Salmon river trail #742 Triple 4/20/16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
timberline-trail

Salmon river trail #742 Triple 4/20/16

Post by timberline-trail » April 26th, 2016, 11:19 pm

Forgot to post this when i did it but Iv'e been running a lot lately, more specifically around Mount hood (where i live) I have done the salmon river trail about 15 times this month, just stopping wherever i feel content. Usually around 3.3 miles in and 3.3 miles back. Sometimes 5 in 5 back.

On 4/20/16 i decided to go for a long run, did 3.3 miles in and back 3 times. Ended up being 19.8 miles overall with about 4000 feet of elevation gain. Partially inspired by the dog mountain octuple posted here a few months back.

Also did Salmon butte a few days prior and there was a good bit of snow up top, hard to find the end of the trail. I was running with a friend and found some hikers who were totally off trail going the wrong way. So after breaking trail for them we lead them to the top. After that i believe there is a pretty well defined snow track leading to the summit. Awesome hike and A LOT less people than salmon river trail 742 which is PACKED on the weekend. But keep that secret between us! :D

This is a long shot but if there are any trail runners on here i would love to chat and talk about running. Possibly meeting up and doing some trails. I have a few friends who like to run with me but most of them are lets say "beginners". I love to help them get better but its hard to push myself without someone who is equal to me or better than me pushing me to run harder.

So if you are looking for a person to run some trails dont be shy!

LostTexan

Re: Salmon river trail #742 Triple 4/20/16

Post by LostTexan » April 28th, 2016, 7:58 pm

Thanks for the report! Which day do you think you were up at Salmon Butte and how much snow do you think was up there? Did you need snow shoes?
Thats amazing you ran that much, that is almost a marathon. I just started preparing for my first marathon this year and the most I have run so far is 5 miles, so 20 miles sounds crazy, especially going up hill. How long did it take you to work up to that?

timberline-trail

Re: Salmon river trail #742 Triple 4/20/16

Post by timberline-trail » April 29th, 2016, 8:10 pm

LostTexan wrote:Thanks for the report! Which day do you think you were up at Salmon Butte and how much snow do you think was up there? Did you need snow shoes?
Thats amazing you ran that much, that is almost a marathon. I just started preparing for my first marathon this year and the most I have run so far is 5 miles, so 20 miles sounds crazy, especially going up hill. How long did it take you to work up to that?
No snow shoes needed, i did it around the 16th 17th i think. Should be a lot less snow and a more well defined trail up there. But it tacked on another 45 minutes for me and my friend. Just make sure you get to the top with lots of life just in case there is still snow.

I'm pretty athletic so i started running about 8 months ago, i ran every few days varying mile lengths. 3 miles here 9 miles there. But i had never ran anywhere near 20 miles, i was very impressed that i did it. I had no idea i could do it. Just dont limit yourself, if you believe you can do it you can. Honestly the best thing you can do is run 4-8 miles EVERY day for about a month to build a base endurance. Then start bumping it up. Or look up a marathon training regiment.

I pretty much run whenever i want and dont follow much of a schedule but i wouldnt advise that. If you are serious its best to be strict.

Look up people like Gingerrunner and Sage Canaday. They both run popular youtube channels about running that have helped me a lot.