Timothy Lake loop from Little Crater Lake 4/21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Timothy Lake loop from Little Crater Lake 4/21

Post by pdxgene » April 21st, 2016, 3:40 pm

Just another amazing day in the Cascades today though it did start out a bit ominous looking..

The footbridge just past the PCT junction where the trail switches to the lakeshore..

As the clouds start to lift..

The water was just so calm pretty much the entire day..

Pollen patterns at the waters edge...

Clouds almost gone..

As Mt Hood begins to make an appearance..

Time for a break to let the clouds lift a bit more..

A few looks at Mt Hood from the strangely named Hoodview CG.. :)

Reflections on Timothy Lake..

Biggest snow drift of the day... :lol:

Almost at the dam..

Best wildlife shot I could get today...

Mt Jefferson off in the white sky. The black dots are mosquitoes. Lots of them... :o

Mt Hood comes back into view nearing North Arm CG..

Wildflowers are just barely getting started..

A double trillium..

Little Crater Lake.. It won't turn that light blue color until the water level drops a foot or two..

Finishing up with one last look at Mt Hood from Little Crater Meadow...

Slideshow version here http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/TimothyLake12

A couple notes... the section from the dam to the Meditation Point Trail junction on the West side of the lake is an absolute nightmare of downed trees to pass thru. Since that's also about 2/3rds of the way thru the loop there was almost zero chance of turning around but it was frustratingly miserable for about 15 minutes. There is no way anyone could possibly get a bike thru there.
It was about the calmest day I can remember seeing up there. Barely a breeze at most the whole day.
There were no cars in the parking lot when I arrived and mine only when I returned. I saw 2 PGE workers down by the dam. And not a soul on the trail or even on the shore fishing. Yay! :D

Chip Down

Re: Timothy Lake loop from Little Crater Lake 4/21

Post by Chip Down » April 21st, 2016, 5:31 pm

Little CL has been on my to-do list for years.
I've been saving it for a fill-in at the end of another hike, but I'm so old and feeble that my hikes usually end after sunset, even the easy 25 mile hikes. :|
(was that a humblebrag? yes and no)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 21st, 2016, 6:52 pm

Very nice photos. I've not been to Little Crater Lake for over 30 years and still fondly remember that incredible blue color. I didn't know thelake level had to drop some for the color to appear. I wonder why?
Thanks for the post.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » April 21st, 2016, 7:05 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:Very nice photos. I've not been to Little Crater Lake for over 30 years and still fondly remember that incredible blue color. I didn't know thelake level had to drop some for the color to appear. I wonder why?
Thanks for the post.
dn
Hey thanx Don, that's really more of a guess based on all other factors being pretty much the same. The sun was out, the sky above was clear enough. But the water is running in pretty strong into the lake still. One of the boardwalk sections heading to the main trail was under a few inches of water (fun way to start at 8am..lol..). I just can't think of what else it could be. Maybe sun angle is the only other one and it was just after noon and the sun is pretty high in the sky now so I was leaning towards deeper water?
I could be totally wrong... :?

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » April 25th, 2016, 6:29 am

I've never seen the lake green like that, although I've never been there this time of the year. I have always thought it was blue because it was too cold for algae and other growth. I hope the blue comes back, that made it very special.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » April 25th, 2016, 7:43 am

Waffle Stomper wrote:I've never seen the lake green like that, although I've never been there this time of the year. I have always thought it was blue because it was too cold for algae and other growth. I hope the blue comes back, that made it very special.
I've looked thru my old pictures and I haven't either. Usually in winter it's just dark since the sunlight doesn't hit. But the angle now should be more or less the same as September so it really can't be anything to do with the way the sun hits it. All I can think of is higher, more turbulent water.
It kinda seems to work that way on a much larger scale at Clear Lake. But it's strictly a guess so if someone actually knows....?