Brown Mountain Snowshoe 08-Feb-2016

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Brown Mountain Snowshoe 08-Feb-2016

Post by VanMarmot » February 9th, 2016, 5:12 pm

This is a reprise of the hike jessbee did over New Years (TR); I just had to wait 6 weeks for the weather to calm down a bit. The upside is that what was soft, fluffy, not-so-easy to snowshoe snow has now settled into really nice Spring snow. Brown Mountain sits on the S side of Hwy 140, directly S of Mt. McLoughlin. Its summit benchmark is 7,311' but it's actually a bit higher than that - and it has a crater! In summer, it's an almost unclimbable cone of lava but in winter, with a good snow cover, it's a very fun snowshoe (or ski - we'll get to the snowmobiles later).

The crux move of this hike was dodging the logging trucks on Hwy 140 and getting over the 6' wall of snow/ice left by the plows.

After that, however, it was a gentle, but ever steepening, cruise on untracked snow.

About 1.5 mi in, the summit came into view,

and, with 500' EG to go, the snowmobile tracks. My cruise up new untracked snow had blinded me to the fact that, while McLoughlin is in a wilderness area, Brown Mountain is not and is thus open to snowmobiles - lots of snowmobiles. Fortunately, I was climbing on a Monday but it must have been a wild (and noisey) weekend on the slopes!

What makes a particularly fun snowshoe is that after a brief trudge through the forest lower down, the views just keep getting bigger and bigger.

From the summit ridge, I had a great view N toward Pelican Butte and snowy Klamath Lake.

A short hike up the ridge brought me to the actual summit, for a full frontal view of the Mountain Lakes Wilderness to the E [H = Harriman; G = Graylock; W = Whiteface; C = Carmine; A = Aspen Butte],

Shasta to the S,

and Mt. Ashland [A] to the W, with Brown's crater in the foreground.

The numerous snowmobile tracks coming off the slightly steep part below the summit provided lots of firm stuff for my MSR snowshoes to get a grip on as I started my descent.

A little lower, and it was back in untracked snow,

for the glide,

back to the TH at Summit SnoPark. A short (5.5 mi RT, 2,300' EG) but wonderful snowshoe on a perfect - and snowmobile free - bluebird day. :D

Last edited by VanMarmot on February 13th, 2016, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

jessbee

Re: Brown Mountain Snowshoe 08-Feb-2016

Post by jessbee » February 9th, 2016, 8:34 pm

Wow, I would have been so pissed if I had to share the mountain with snowmobiles. We heard them in the distance when we were there, but I'm surprised you found tracks going straight to the top. Yikes.

Splendid day for it! When are you headed up Mt McLoughlin ;) ?
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

VanMarmot

Re: Brown Mountain Snowshoe 08-Feb-2016

Post by VanMarmot » February 10th, 2016, 10:01 am

jessbee wrote:Wow, I would have been so pissed if I had to share the mountain with snowmobiles. We heard them in the distance when we were there, but I'm surprised you found tracks going straight to the top. Yikes.

Splendid day for it! When are you headed up Mt McLoughlin ;) ?
Although you hiked this on a holiday weekend, I'm guessing that the snow wasn't yet consolidated enough to handle snowmobiles - so you lucked out. Now the weather has settled the snow and the mobilers can get all the way to the summit ridge. :roll:

Last year I snowshoed McLoughlin in April - by then (because of the low snow year) the Fourmile Lake Road was open to the TH but there was still snow for snowshoeing above 6500'. This year I doubt the road will open until the "usual" time - late Spring - so I'd have to start from the Summit SnoPark, which adds 500' EG to the climb. I have other plans but may try it sometime the 1st two weeks in March - just so it would be a "winter" climb.