Trip report- Devils peak via Cool creek.

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
timberline-trail

Trip report- Devils peak via Cool creek.

Post by timberline-trail » February 3rd, 2016, 4:18 pm

I wanted a steep and challenging hike to train on yesterday. With more elevation gain (3200 FT) than summiting mount hood from Palmer chair lift (2700 FT), it was more than i had bargained for. Especially considering i was "running". Snow was already noticeable on the drive up still creek and about 2 miles in i turned around with about 1 foot of snow in most places. I have done the trail before and i knew i was relatively close to the viewpoint i wanted to reach. But with night falling and cold feet i decided to save the hike for another day.

If anyone is interested in hiking that trail right now beware there will be a lot of wet snow and in some points traction is an issue due to the extreme steepness of the trail. Sadly no pictures were taken, by the time it even crossed my mind it was almost dark and i was too focused on getting back to the car.

kepPNW

Re: Trip report- Devils peak via Cool creek.

Post by kepPNW » February 3rd, 2016, 4:24 pm

Sounds "icky." Best to wait until it either warms up more, or cools back down considerably, I guess.

Heard the forest road to Cool Creek TH might be gated - is it? If so, how far from the TH?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Peder

Post by Peder » February 3rd, 2016, 8:22 pm

timberline-trail wrote:I have done the trail before and i knew i was relatively close to the viewpoint i wanted to reach. But with night falling and cold feet i decided to save the hike for another day.
Excellent call! Welcome - I look forward to hearing about your next adventures.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

timberline-trail

Post by timberline-trail » February 5th, 2016, 10:54 am

kepPNW wrote:Sounds "icky." Best to wait until it either warms up more, or cools back down considerably, I guess.

Heard the forest road to Cool Creek TH might be gated - is it? If so, how far from the TH?

Hopefully some of the snow melts up top soon. I intend to go back sometime this month after my shin splints heal.
As for the road Still Creek is gated farther up as to not allow travel to trillium lake in the winter. But you can get to the Cool Creek TH without any issue. There was very little snow on the road, only spotty in locations.

(Im not sure if this is how you reply but here goes nothing)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 5th, 2016, 11:09 am

timberline-trail wrote:As for the road Still Creek is gated farther up as to not allow travel to trillium lake in the winter. But you can get to the Cool Creek TH without any issue. There was very little snow on the road, only spotty in locations.
Good to know! The USFS website just wasn't clear on that, but I figured at most it'd add two miles each way.
timberline-trail wrote:(Im not sure if this is how you reply but here goes nothing)
Perfect. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...