Clear Lake Butte Lookout Jan 2016

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bexonhood

Clear Lake Butte Lookout Jan 2016

Post by bexonhood » January 29th, 2016, 1:41 pm

Not exactly a trail report (though the trail was as always, a cat-tracked gentle road that's well-maintained and shared with snowmobiles out of Skyline Sno Park) but this is my blog post about last weekend at Clear Lake. It has pantsless-ness and swearing, just FYI!

http://www.adventureho.net/2016/01/but- ... g-but.html
Attachments
IMG_20160124_090055OH.jpg
Sunrise at the lookout - we scored!!

retired jerry

Re: Clear Lake Butte Lookout Jan 2016

Post by retired jerry » January 29th, 2016, 3:33 pm

that looks like a lot of fun

how much does a night cost and is it impossible to find an open night?

BeaverDawg

Post by BeaverDawg » January 29th, 2016, 6:07 pm

Thanks for the great trip report. We skied up there in December but the snow was dumping so no views. Glad you were able to snag a reservation - I know its a challenge to get one. If you are looking to stay in a lookout during the summer, Gold Butte is a really nice location with views of Jeff and the Sisters.

greglief

Post by greglief » January 31st, 2016, 4:08 pm

bexonhood wrote:Not exactly a trail report (though the trail was as always, a cat-tracked gentle road that's well-maintained and shared with snowmobiles out of Skyline Sno Park) but this is my blog post about last weekend at Clear Lake. It has pantsless-ness and swearing, just FYI!
You're right... that's not exactly a trip report (though it's a nice photo). For future reference, it is easy to convert HTML from any external site to the BB code used by this website. This thread provides the details.
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » January 31st, 2016, 4:14 pm

retired jerry wrote:how much does a night cost and is it impossible to find an open night?
This one is $50 a night. It is not impossible to find an open night, but it is very difficult, especially if you don't book six months out.
BeaverDawg wrote:If you are looking to stay in a lookout during the summer, Gold Butte is a really nice location with views of Jeff and the Sisters.
That one IS nearly impossible to reserve. It took six reservation attempts for this July before I succeeded in making a reservation. If you're lucky enough to snag a night or two at Gold Butte, though, you won't regret it. It's spectacular.

bexonhood

Post by bexonhood » February 2nd, 2016, 2:59 pm

Thanks for catching those and replying justpeachy! And for the info greglief!

I check it often and there just happened to be a cancellation for a weekend night (so rare)... good find!!

naturallog

Post by naturallog » February 2nd, 2016, 9:17 pm

Beautiful photos and great commentary! It's always nice to be reminded that sometimes you should just get out, for you'll never know how the skies may truly treat you.

On one hand, I was surprised to see that many lookouts must be reserved down here (just moved from Washington), and with their popularity, I can sense the frustration it must cause. On the other, must be nice to know that you will have the lookout and can hike in without worrying about it.