Roxy Ann in Winter 15-Jan-2016

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Roxy Ann in Winter 15-Jan-2016

Post by VanMarmot » January 19th, 2016, 8:40 am

Roxy Ann Peak (3,573') is almost literally in our backyard. The peak rises 2,200 feet above Medford and is visible from most of the Rogue Valley. It (and surrounding Prescott Park) is Medford's most important viewshed, open space reserve, and recreational resource. It was the first hike we did after moving to the valley in 2014 (TR). Within the park, you can put together its mix of established and use trails and roads to create simple hikes of 5-7 mi and 1,000' EG (or more).

This year - unlike the last two - storms with rain and snow have been rolling through Southern Oregon roughly every 2-3 days. Cloudless, sunny gaps between these storms are brief - often 6 hours or less - and taking advantage of them means getting on a trail quick. So, last week, when a sunny break followed a heavy snowfall, we rushed out to Roxy Ann for some exercise in the sun and snow. The "trailhead" starts on a haul road to a local quarry,

along which we saw a lot of bluebirds (it being a bluebird day and all) - who are in town for the next 3-4 months.

We soon got off the haul road and started up one of the trails to the summit,

into a snow-encrusted forest on the NW side of the peak,

and around to a less snowy forest on the E and SE side.

The only thing Roxy Ann shares in common with Mt. Defiance is a collection of comm towers on its summit.

From the summit, we could see out over the low clouds of one of the valley's signature winter inversions to snowy Grayback Mountain (TR) on the far horizon to the E,

to Grizzly Peak (G, see Field Guide) to the S,

and Mt. McLoughlin to the E.

We then opted to take the road (there's a trail option too) down from the summit,

around the E side of the peak through the low clouds,

and back along the haul road and a bit of trail to the TH.

A good leg-stretch of a hike and just as well that it was close and short - within an hour of our getting back to the TH clouds ahead of the next storm began darkening the sky...

woodswalker

Re: Roxy Ann in Winter 15-Jan-2016

Post by woodswalker » January 19th, 2016, 9:09 am

Wonderful Bluebird photo! Wow lots of storms is kind of a rare thing down there. I lived up the Applegate valley for 7 years and we averaged 13 inches of rain in a good year. Thanks for posting the hike and the weather. I've been curious.
Woodswalker

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » January 19th, 2016, 9:23 am

woodswalker wrote:Wonderful Bluebird photo! Wow lots of storms is kind of a rare thing down there. I lived up the Applegate valley for 7 years and we averaged 13 inches of rain in a good year. Thanks for posting the hike and the weather. I've been curious.
Woodswalker
Well, thanks mostly to El Nino, we're catching-up for the previous 2 years of drought. Last year at this time we were hiking on the Siskiyou Crest on snow-free trails. This year, there's 5-6' of snow up there! And more coming!

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » January 19th, 2016, 10:50 am

I am super glad to see it!
Woodswalker

miah66

Post by miah66 » January 19th, 2016, 12:02 pm

VanMarmot wrote:
Awesome shot!

LOL @ "bluebirds who are in town for the next 3-4 months..." They certainly know what they're doing, don't they?
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider