Oxbow - Sandy River 12/10/2015 - Don't Overlook this Jewel!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
scottscofield062004

Oxbow - Sandy River 12/10/2015 - Don't Overlook this Jewel!

Post by scottscofield062004 » December 10th, 2015, 6:16 pm

Hello Hikers!

Well, with tornadoes, flooding and road closures (Lions, Tigers and Bears...) occurring all over the place - I didn't want to drive on Hwy 26, I-84 (or really anywhere else for that matter) - but did want to go for a walk in the woods!! And then I remembered one of my favorite childhood areas - Oxbow Park!! Even though there had been a minor slide on Oxbow Parkway a few days ago - that had been cleared up, and the road was open without standing water or debris this morning!

I also wanted to see the Sandy River in the midst of all the excess water finding it's way to the Columbia!

Oxbow is a Regional Park (Oxbow Regional Park is it's full title) - managed by the Metro Council - along with other Metro facilities as varied as Glendoveer Golf Course and Fitness Trail to the Oregon Zoo.

You can find Oxbow at: Oxbow Regional Park, 3010 SE Oxbow Parkway, Gresham
1237238958.jpg
Entry Sign
Oxbow has an advertised 12 miles of hiking trails - I wasn't that ambitious, though, I just followed the Sandy River-side trail:
031_mud_trail_gadgq3.jpg
Trail map
With a recreational area so close into residential areas - one might think it would be nothing more than a school playground - absolutely not the case!! I thought my little walk along the Sandy was as fulfilling as practically any other hike I've been on in the past few years - it was beautiful there this morning - and even managed to find a non-rain two hour period to boot!

Started my jaunt alongside a canyon waterfall:
ob1doc.jpg
Canyon Waterfall
ob4doc.jpg
waterfall
If you didn't know any differently, you could easily believe you were deep in some unpopulated river valley!
ob6doc.jpg
Canyon side - Moss
ob10doc.jpg
I love the moss on the trees!
ob12doc.jpg
There were multiple side streams making their way down to the Sandy - but none of them flowed across the road, or the trail!
ob14doc.jpg
Side stream down to the river
And, yes, the Sandy is flowing HIGH!
ob18doc.jpg
The Sandy is HIGH!
The river-side trail is in great shape! Although, on the trail headed up to Elk Meadow - I did see a closure sign, I'm sure there is some concern about slide potential on that particular trail - though if we get a few dry days the trail should re-open!
ob21doc.jpg
Trail in great shape!
As always - remember to look up and around:
ob27doc.jpg
Remember to look up and around!
Water level is high - and you can clearly see the effects of erosion occurring in real-time:
ob30doc.jpg
Continuing bank erosion
ob31doc.jpg
Oxbow is well signed - but not to the degree it detracts from the river/forest experience.
ob33doc.jpg
Helpful signs
So, if you, and the family, are looking for a nice hike - great river views and just an opportunity to feel a little secluded - even if current road and weather conditions don't allow you to safely get really secluded - Oxbow Regional Park may be just the place for you!
ob20doc.jpg
river view
Happy hiking!!

Scott

Guy

Re: Oxbow - Sandy River 12/10/2015 - Don't Overlook this Jew

Post by Guy » December 10th, 2015, 6:39 pm

We live within walking distance of Oxbow's "Back Door Entrance" and normally reserve this for weekends when the weather is too bad to drive anywhere. (The back door is always open :) )

I must confess that I hadn't realized that it was run by Metro thought it was Multnomah County. Surprised because (Thankfully) we are still 2 miles East of Metro's Eastern Frontier ;)

As a point of interest:

These trees being exposed by the rivers erosion here a truly ancient, they are forest trees that were buried in long past Mt. Hood eruptions.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

scottscofield062004

Post by scottscofield062004 » December 10th, 2015, 6:58 pm

Thank you, Guy - that is interesting! And got me to thinking about Mt Hood and the Zigzag Canyon hike I took this summer - Zigzag Glacier is the head water for the Zigzag River - a tributary of the Sandy River (the main Sandy River head water off of Reid Glacier)!
mthood4doc.jpg
Zigzag Canyon
Thank you for the comments!

Scott

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » December 11th, 2015, 12:34 am

I surprisingly got 9 miles there last spring. I just looked at the map and realized that we basically did the whole park, but had I known at the time there was just a short spur up to the top, I'd have done that bit on the same trip and called it done. Now I might have to go back and see if I can't get all of the trails in one shot, including all the short connectors in the middle.

GPX track here
- Michael

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » December 11th, 2015, 12:43 am

Another thing to note here is that there is some very nice old growth in the park. You can follow their map to an area where they say there's old growth (I'm still not sure what they are trying to feature there), but instead just take that trail just south of the south edge of the campground and head east. I believe it's completely handicap accessible and it's the real deal. Good place to take the out of town relatives for a quick old growth experience.
- Michael

Guy

Post by Guy » December 11th, 2015, 5:39 am

I surprisingly got 9 miles there last spring. I just looked at the map and realized that we basically did the whole park, but had I known at the time there was just a short spur up to the top,
Here is a loop from the Equestrian Trailhead at the top, you can park on the side of the road but don't park on the wrong sides of the no parking signs in the turn around or the locals will have you towed!

The blue blue trail section is not on their maps anymore but it's still in great condition and allows you to do a bigger loop from the top.
Oxbow.jpg
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors