Wauneka Point-Nesmith Point Loop 11/25/15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dfs1109

Wauneka Point-Nesmith Point Loop 11/25/15

Post by dfs1109 » November 26th, 2015, 6:01 am

Below is the link for a few of the photos:
http://imgur.com/a/Y4EIQ

First, words of advise before choosing this hike. This is a difficult scramble and truly no trail up to Wauneka Pt. and beyond. A lot of blow down and mud slides from a recent storm in the gorge. I don't have a lot of scrambling experience (mostly backpacking and summit hikes) but I do well with a map or gps. Make sure you have a map and or GPS for this one. Also, allow at least twice as much time than normal for the first half of the hike. This is one of the most difficult hikes I've done in a while but well worth it. This is also a one way trip, once you cross the McCord river there is no turning back. Its a little over a mile and 1800 ft of elevation gain to the top so be prepared mentally and for the elements.

GPS Stats (after some adjustments to the GPS the following seems fairly accurate):
Distance: 11mi
Total Ascent: 5819 ft
Total Descent: 7187
Max Elevation: 3809 ft
Min Elevation: 120 ft

Hiking partner and I started from the John B Yeon TH around 9am. Taking the trail to the right of the parking lot (tr 400). Pass by the junction to your right, Nesmith Point tr-428. This will be your return trail back to the TH. The next junction you will make a right onto the Upper McCord tr. Arrived at the portion of the trail that has a metal railing along the cliff wall as you near the falls. There was yellow caution tape blocking the trail but my companion and I decided to bypass it and keep going (seemed like a good idea at the time). Once we turned the corner the trailed is completely blocked by fallen trees and a mud slide from the recent storm. It is passible with little risk so we climbed and crawled through the debris and continued on. Passed the falls the trail seems to end and a boot path was followed upstream. Looking for a place to cross the McCord with little luck we chose the best area that we could find. Long story short, I ended up loosing my footing and completely submerged my right foot in the river. Meaning that I would now have to do the next 10 miles with a wet foot!

Once across we followed the river back down stream but also continuously climbing up the ridge in hopes that we would find some kind of boot track or trail showing us how to get to the top of Wauneka... don't bother looking, there is nothing out there to guide you. My suggestion is to follow the trip logs the best you can. Once you decide to start climbing the ridge to Wauneka Point just climb as steep as you feel comfortable and do switch backs when possible. Other than climbing through pretty think brush and a lot of blow down it doesn't seem that dangerous. As we near the top the forest opens up to the moss covered rocks. Things start to get a bit more steep but only for a short distance, followed by the summit of the lower Wauneka/Gap.

Keep climbing up and around the Gap right along the edge of the cliff until you get to the top of Wauneka Pt. We were so focused on the scramble that I completely forgot to look around for the Indian rock formations! Once we gained the ridge we continued south and followed the ridge line through more brush and blow downs. It wasn't until we got to the snow covered bald and rocky peak that we found a trail leading around to the left of the peak, I believe this to be known as the 429 trail. From there it was pretty easy going.

Continuing on the trail eventually you will see a signed junction to the right, I believe this is the Moffet Creek trail. You will pass through some meadows and water brooks before the trail terminates at a T-intersection. This is the old road and the way to Nesmith Point trail (428). Making a right on the road leads you in the right direction.

By pass the junction on the left which is the Horsetail and Oneonta trails. Shortly after you will come to the signed junction on your right for the 428 which leads you back to the trail head 4.6 miles. Or continue up the road for some more views on Nesmith Point and check out the collapsed outhouse. Back on the 428 its pretty simple but more blow downs from time to time. We probably did the last 2.5, 3 miles via head lamp. The 428 will drop you back on the 400 trail near the trail head where you make a left and then your back in the parking lot.
Last edited by dfs1109 on November 26th, 2015, 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

Peder

Re: Wauneka Point-Nesmith Point Loop 11/25/15

Post by Peder » November 26th, 2015, 8:51 am

Daniel - Looks like you and Steve had a great day out! You two must be the first people to miss the Indian Vision Quest Pits (although you must have walked right through the middle of them)! So now you will have to go back and take a look at them.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 26th, 2015, 9:20 am

It's a great loop and best done clockwise as you describe it. And now you'll have to do it again - since you missed the pits and also Myron Kelly's dam, which I wrote about in this report!

dfs1109

Post by dfs1109 » November 26th, 2015, 10:56 am

Peder wrote:Daniel - Looks like you and Steve had a great day out! You two must be the first people to miss the Indian Vision Quest Pits (although you must have walked right through the middle of them)! So now you will have to go back and take a look at them.
It is possible possible we could have walked right through the pits since they are covered in snow. Do you remember where they are exactly?

I didn't even temper until I got home that we missed the pits! Maybe because I didn't do a lot of research prior to the hike. Next time!

dfs1109

Post by dfs1109 » November 26th, 2015, 10:58 am

bobcat wrote:It's a great loop and best done clockwise as you describe it. And now you'll have to do it again - since you missed the pits and also Myron Kelly's dam, which I wrote about in this report!
Where is the dam exactly? I didn't even start looking for until we got to Nesmith Point but I didn't see anything that resembled a dam.

jointhedance

Post by jointhedance » November 26th, 2015, 4:20 pm

jointhedance

Post by jointhedance » November 26th, 2015, 4:22 pm

I did see one vision-quest pit! didn't linger there, it was late and we had a long way to go.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 28th, 2015, 9:18 am

dfs1109 wrote:Where is the dam exactly?
It's at approximately this location: 45.5845; -121.9772 - where Moffett and McCord Creeks come very close together on a very shallow ridgeline. Coming from Wauneka Point on the Wauneka Point Trail, you'll stumble across a ditch crossing the ridge - this is the diversion channel, which doesn't look as though it was ever really used. The stone dam and short Moffett diversion canal are still there in excellent shape and still damming and diverting (though not across the ridge)! I found it a number of years ago when I went off the trail to pee.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » November 28th, 2015, 7:13 pm

Isn't Upper McCord marked as closed because of that slide?

dfs1109

Post by dfs1109 » November 29th, 2015, 12:51 pm

Lurch wrote:Isn't Upper McCord marked as closed because of that slide?
There is a large slide of debris that has blocked the trail near the upper falls. Located at the top of the falls in railed portion of the trail. Slide has taken out a portion of the railing as well. However, the trees and mud that has stalled in the trail is stable enough to climb over and through.

Click the link below to see slide.
http://imgur.com/d0jaSpp