Gumjuwac Overlook Snow & Ice Hike (Nov 21)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Splintercat

Gumjuwac Overlook Snow & Ice Hike (Nov 21)

Post by Splintercat » November 22nd, 2015, 10:46 pm

Had my first snow hike of the season yesterday - the 2-mile climb to the Gumjuwac Overlook on the shoulder of Lookout Mountain. Freezing fog was the rule along the East Fork valley, but above about 4,000 feet, the trail broke out of the fog, and icicles gave way to snow -- about 6" on the ground at the viewpoint (at around 5,000 feet). Some pics from the hike...

Breaking out of the fog at about 4,000 feet:

Vine maple coated in ice:

Golden Chinkapin coated in ice and snow:

Ice-coated trees shimmering in the sun:

Snow got deeper as the trail climbed the ridge:

Looking up at my destination:

Noble fir decorated for the holidays!

Mount Hood from the Gumjuwac Overlook:

Some dude and yet another selfie... ;-)

Close view of the mountain rising above the valley fog:

Close-up of the east face and the Newton Clark Glacier -- looking great with a new coat of snow!

iPhone pano from the Gumjuwac Overlook:

A few trees across the trail, but this one was the grand-daddy -- just below the overlook and about 30" in diameter:

Great day in the mountains! Nice to see some snow on the mountain, again, too..! Whew!

Tom :-)

BurnsideBob

Re: Gumjuwac Overlook Snow & Ice Hike (Nov 21)

Post by BurnsideBob » November 24th, 2015, 7:52 am

A great hike--what a view of Hood's east face. Thanks for the great images, especially the close up of the Newton Clark!!!
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » November 24th, 2015, 8:16 am

Thanks for posting those. Perhaps I can now finally accept that winter has come to the Badger Creek Wilderness and plan accordingly. :lol: Beautiful pics as always. What was the eg where you stopped at. Trying to get a sense of the snow levels higher up, although I suppose after today's 1200 ' predicated snowfall all bets are off.
Woodswalker

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 24th, 2015, 11:03 am

Well, it's about 5,000 feet at the viewpoint and 3,500 feet at the TH, so around 1,500 feet EG in about 2 miles of well-graded switchbacks. There was just a couple inches at the TH and 4-6 inches on the ground at 5,000 feet (as of last weekend).

Gumjuwac Saddle is only about 0.5 miles beyond the viewpoint, and the trail levels out on that stretch (only about 200' additional elevation gain), so I think the amount of snow at the viewpoint was probably the same as at the saddle. Not sure how much fell since I was there, of course!

Aimless

Post by Aimless » November 24th, 2015, 11:31 am

Well done! That photo of Mt Hood from the Gumjuwac overlook is calendar-worthy.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » November 24th, 2015, 12:11 pm

Splintercat wrote:Well, it's about 5,000 feet at the viewpoint and 3,500 feet at the TH, so around 1,500 feet EG in about 2 miles of well-graded switchbacks. There was just a couple inches at the TH and 4-6 inches on the ground at 5,000 feet (as of last weekend).

Gumjuwac Saddle is only about 0.5 miles beyond the viewpoint, and the trail levels out on that stretch (only about 200' additional elevation gain), so I think the amount of snow at the viewpoint was probably the same as at the saddle. Not sure how much fell since I was there, of course!

Thanks, Woodswalker

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » November 24th, 2015, 6:10 pm

Thanks for the great trip report. I have to admit to being more than a bit envious.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir