PCT (Herman Creek to Dry Creek) 11/14/15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
miah66

Re: PCT (Herman Creek to Dry Creek) 11/14/15

Post by miah66 » November 18th, 2015, 1:09 pm

woodswalker wrote:From Casey creek camp about four miles in, there is also a short path down to the Forks of Herman Creek. The path is usually easy to follow, but I don't think it is maintained. The Forks is loud and wonderful to see. There is info on it on this site!
Woodswalker
Yes I remember reading that about the forks in the Field Guide several years ago when I hiked up to Mud Lake. I wasn't able to find a trail anywhere near Casey Creek, so I didn't bother hiking down the hill as it looked rather steep and brushy as an off-trail scramble. Thanks for the rec though, I might have to go for it next time.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » November 18th, 2015, 1:45 pm

It is a bit hard to find.
Woodswalker

drm

Post by drm » November 19th, 2015, 8:27 am

Are you referring to the trail that goes down to Herman Creek near the confluence of the east and west forks? That one leaves from the NW edge of Casey Camp, which would put it a couple hundred yards before the creek itself. Haven't I heard that this trail once continued up the west fork and climbed to near Tanner Butte?

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » November 19th, 2015, 5:53 pm

drm wrote:Are you referring to the trail that goes down to Herman Creek near the confluence of the east and west forks? That one leaves from the NW edge of Casey Camp, which would put it a couple hundred yards before the creek itself. Haven't I heard that this trail once continued up the west fork and climbed to near Tanner Butte?
Yes exactly! I don't know about the Tanner connection though, but I did see something similar to that a few days ago in the old archives on this site. I believe it was an old map found and photocopied from a local university archives and that it went up the west fork and Woolly Horn Ridge looks like to Tanner.
Here is the link: http://www.oregonhikers.org/archive/view/28398

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » November 19th, 2015, 5:54 pm

Oops, not apparent that it goes to Tanner is what I meant to say.
Woodswalker