PCT (Herman Creek to Dry Creek) 11/14/15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
miah66

PCT (Herman Creek to Dry Creek) 11/14/15

Post by miah66 » November 17th, 2015, 2:08 pm

On Saturday morning (11/14/15) the wife was headed out of town to visit a friend in Cali, so I headed out to the Gorge to get some miles. I'm hoping to hit 600 again for the year, but I have some work to do. (I'm currently at 530) It was forecasted to rain buckets, but as usual, the forecast wasn't jive-ing w/ reality. It was overcast and cloudy, but to me that just says "perfect Gorge hiking weather". I decided to see the Herman Creek pinnacles.

I began at 10am from the Herman Creek TH, where 4 other cars were already parked. It's probably the fewest cars I've EVER seen at this TH, actually.

On up the hill, where a small, but annoying, tree has fallen across the trail. Too high to step over, or duck under. :x

Mondo greenery:

Quickly across the powerline road and to the Herman Bridge 406-E junction, a trail I haven't had the pleasure of hiking before today. I eagerly headed down it, and passed into a talus slope clearing w/ nice views of the slopes containing the Benson Plateau high above. I'd essentially be hiking below these cliffs all day.

The forest down here was almost a mini-Benson, w/ arrow straight pines of a similar age growing together.

Next up was the sturdy Herman Creek bridge. Super sweet!

Almost reminds me of that big 'ol horsey bridge across Hardy Creek on the other side of the Columbia.

I hung out here for a bit and enjoyed the swollen Herman Creek, thinking about all the times I had hiked it's namesake trail and never actually seen a drop of it. The trail curiously avoids the creek for most of it's length, no?

Looking downstream:

From here the trail climbs up towards the junction with the PCT, after it has dropped several thousand feet as it snakes its way down from the Benson Plateau. (NOBO)

If you go that-a-way...it's a long climb!

I wasn't going there today (maybe next weekend) so I turned around and continued (NOBO) on the PCT.

Several talus slopes to cross, which provide nice views. Still no rain.

Benson Plateau is up there:

Back into the trees and small ups and downs. I came upon a nice surprise, which I later found out is called Pacific Crest falls. Thanks KT ;) Lovely! The wet weather had given it some life and it was flowing nicely.

Shortly I came to a brief break in the trees where I saw a small use trail leading to a view of the Herman Creek pinnacles, two strange lava formations right off the trail.
You would easily walk past them if you weren't paying attention.

There appeared to be several use trails circumnavigating/climbing them and the remnants of a crummy campsite there. I suppose if one had to camp there, they could.

I original thought about calling it a day if weather was an issue, but since it wasn't I decided to continue to Dry Creek falls a few miles further so I could knock out this "section" of the PCT. Only 2,644 miles left after today! :lol: :roll:

Typical trail views:

Still some foliage hanging on out there:

Soon arriving at the bridge across Dry Creek, then the road walk up to the falls.

The falls themselves were going good. I think it might be one of my favorites in the gorge.

Then it was an uneventful, though pleasant romp back to my car at the TH. I passed OH's "tschalpi" on the way back...or rather he blew past me at full bore, either training or in the midst of one of his daredevil challenges. I said "Hi", but he wasn't stopping for anything. :oops: Godspeed, good sir!

Here's a video of Herman Creek flowing nicely:

https://youtu.be/aQuvZBMYsDQ

GPS track

http://gpsfly.org/g/5128

Guess where I went after my hike?

Hint:

Last edited by miah66 on November 18th, 2015, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

aiwetir

Re: PCT (Herman Creek to Dry Creek) 11/14/15

Post by aiwetir » November 17th, 2015, 3:36 pm

That first shot of the pinnacles is superb.
- Michael

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 17th, 2015, 4:16 pm

Cascade Locks?

Something to do with food or beer?

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 17th, 2015, 4:20 pm

Thunder Island Brewing ?
- Michael

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » November 17th, 2015, 5:30 pm

Nice report. I always look at those cliffs from Herman Creek side and wondered if you get any nice views of them form the PCT. I've only hiked to the Pinnacles from the other side.

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 17th, 2015, 8:54 pm

aiwetir wrote:Thunder Island Brewing ?
Ding ding ding! We have a winner

Instagram @pdxstrider

Chase

Post by Chase » November 18th, 2015, 6:00 am

miah66 wrote: Typical trail views:

Love it when TRs have "typical trail views"! The photos tell us, "This is basically what it looked like most of the time!" And I'm thankful for that.

drm

Post by drm » November 18th, 2015, 8:17 am

You said you were SOBO - southbound? You were going northbound on the PCT. Southbound would have been to head up to the plateau.

The Herman Ck trail does finally cross it's namesake creek about 8 miles in, about a half mile past Cedar Swamp. There is a huge tree about 100 yards up from the trail on the lower side if water is too high to rock hop, which presumably it is by now.

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 18th, 2015, 8:34 am

drm wrote:You said you were SOBO - southbound? You were going northbound on the PCT. Southbound would have been to head up to the plateau.

The Herman Ck trail does finally cross it's namesake creek about 8 miles in, about a half mile past Cedar Swamp. There is a huge tree about 100 yards up from the trail on the lower side if water is too high to rock hop, which presumably it is by now.
You're right, I continued NOBO on the PCT. Technically I was headed West. :lol:

Yes, the trail DOES cross a creek, the EAST fork of Herman which drains from Mud lake, not the main Herman Creek, which drains Hicks Lake, at the base of Chinidere. Technically there is a difference, but I actually forgot about that crossing by Noble camp. The main stem down by the bridge is MUCH MUCH larger, however. Unlike Eagle Creek where you happily follow it for miles, with several viewpoints and crossings, Herman Creek is just a sound from it's trail, w/ the exception of the East fork 7(!) miles in.

Instagram @pdxstrider

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » November 18th, 2015, 11:40 am

From Casey creek camp about four miles in, there is also a short path down to the Forks of Herman Creek. The path is usually easy to follow, but I don't think it is maintained. The Forks is loud and wonderful to see. There is info on it on this site!
Woodswalker