Deadline extended AND prizes for 2016 Calendar pics!

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
rainrunner

Re: Deadline extended AND prizes for 2016 Calendar pics!

Post by rainrunner » November 7th, 2015, 6:32 pm

I feel intimidated to post mine, these other photos are so good that I feel inadequate with mine, plus I accidentally sent in one too many photos. I need to work on my Common Core math. The one issue I am still working on is my night shots. I have to adjust the exposure when switching form a lit monitor to a printed image, something to do with projected light and reflected light, what looks good on a monitor will be dark when printed. Finding out just how much to increase the exposure is something I am working on.

North Falls, Silver Falls State Park

Barrett Spur

Boy Scout Ridge

Boy Scout Ridge

Columbia Hills State Park

Cooper Spur

Above Paradise Park

Above Paradise Park
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 7th, 2015, 10:34 pm

Wow... beautiful photos!
I feel intimidated to post mine, these other photos are so good that I feel inadequate with mine...
Funny, that's how I feel after seeing YOUR pics, rain runner..! Thanks for sharing!

Tom :)

Peabody

Post by Peabody » November 8th, 2015, 11:08 am

Splintercat wrote:Wow... beautiful photos!
I feel intimidated to post mine, these other photos are so good that I feel inadequate with mine...
Funny, that's how I feel after seeing YOUR pics, rain runner..! Thanks for sharing!

Tom :)

Seriously? They're are all great photos. The reason I won't submit any is that I'm so bad.....if I lost my camera and someone happened along and browsed through the pictures they'd leave the camera behind thinking it was broken. :D

But maybe for next year's calendar you could reserve a page or month for those of us with more $$$ than talent. Divide a page into roughly 25 squares and sell each for a donation TBD. That would allow us with no/limited photography skills to "buy our way into the calendar". :)
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

jime

Post by jime » November 8th, 2015, 7:42 pm

Getting in under the deadline. Here's some more.

Up along Cathedral Ridge, Mt Hood, Mazama Trail

Herman Creek

Indian Bar, Mount Rainier

View of Mt Adams from Salmon Butte

Mt Adams Wilderness

Mt Jefferson from Grizzly Peak

Pinnacle Peak, Mount Rainer

View of Three Finger Jack from Marion Lake

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » November 8th, 2015, 7:48 pm

I already submitted my photos, but here's one of the ones I submitted (or one from the same series at least):

Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 9th, 2015, 12:53 am

I realize I'm probably late, but I do have some questions for the future.

Ex-photographer here. Anyone ever print 8mp iPhone photos? Happen to be 2448 x 3264 which comes out to basically 8 x 10.9. While the pixels are almost there, I'm not sure they'll hold up to actual printing because that's a whole different ball game. A lot can be achieved through the proper sharpening techniques, but I'm not convinced.
- Michael

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 9th, 2015, 9:45 am

My photos are taken on a Samsung S4, and I have no clue how to tell what their resolution is, and I'm convinced the quality of the file isn't print-worthy.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

jaimito

Post by jaimito » November 9th, 2015, 8:03 pm

aiwetir wrote:I realize I'm probably late, but I do have some questions for the future.

Ex-photographer here. Anyone ever print 8mp iPhone photos? Happen to be 2448 x 3264 which comes out to basically 8 x 10.9. While the pixels are almost there, I'm not sure they'll hold up to actual printing because that's a whole different ball game. A lot can be achieved through the proper sharpening techniques, but I'm not convinced.
Those dimensions are within reach the real question is at what dpi are they. If they are at 72dpi at those pixel dimensions then they are really only screen worthy, if they are 300dpi at those pixel dimensions then they are print ready... make sense?

Best,

Jamie

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 9th, 2015, 11:23 pm

I've already got that part down, pixels are pixels and that many pixels at 300 dpi is 8 x 10.9. One can often push print resolution down to 240 dpi or even 180 dpi depending on how it's being printed, what it's being printed on, and of course viewing distance. I've printed thousands of inkjet slide scans, 35mm, medium and large format but I don't do digital beyond digitizing film. I've not printed digital and I know as you zoom in that things get weird looking compared to film. I'm wondering how those reproduce in print.
- Michael

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 10th, 2015, 7:38 am

jaimito wrote:
aiwetir wrote:I realize I'm probably late, but I do have some questions for the future.

Those dimensions are within reach the real question is at what dpi are they. If they are at 72dpi at those pixel dimensions then they are really only screen worthy, if they are 300dpi at those pixel dimensions then they are print ready... make sense?
Nope! DPI is an elastic concept. The same photo, printed at 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, etc., has a different DPI. As printed. DPI is arbitrary in that it's wholly a function of the output device, and therefore meaningless in regards to an image, other than to layout software that chooses to take some meaning (ie, hint) from it.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...