Augspurger Mountain Hike (Oct 3, 2015)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjanardh

Augspurger Mountain Hike (Oct 3, 2015)

Post by mjanardh » October 11th, 2015, 9:09 pm

Augspurger hike was on my list for a long time and I wanted to check it, so with Vinoo and his 12 year old we arrived at the trail head at around around 8.00 AM and soon after started off on the trail head.
20151003_174653 (3).jpg
The Augspurger trail shares the west flank with the dogs mountain loop trail. For the first ~3 miles it s steady easy climb up until the fork, the right will take you to dogs summit, keep going to the left and immediately, you will start losing elevation of ~600 ft and have to wade thru dense brush for a mile and you would finally come to a "T" junction. From this junction on you would see a blue diamond marker placed on trees to indicate the trail.
The first "T" is an old logging road, and if you pay close attention, would notice that high up on the trees a "blue" diamond marker is placed, take a right turn at this point and go on for ~1 mile and you would intersect with a 2nd logging road and high tension power lines over head, cross this road and keep going straight ahead. About 1/2 a mile up, you have to watch out for the "blue" diamond marker (leave the logging road) and follow along the narrower trail which would go thru old growth forest and thru a series of switch backs take you thru to the top of Augspurger Summit. Interestingly, there is no clear marking to show the summit. we had to rely on the elevation and the distance traveled to be sure of the summit area. The trail continues further down the side losing ~400 feet and into even thicker brush for another mile to the top of a hill from where you can get 360 view. we were lucky to see Adams in all its majesty on a day that reasonably clear and dry for the most part. trip data read something like over 17 miles RT and ~4000 EG and 9 hours (since we went all the way to the end of the trail).
20151003_141653 (2).jpg

mjanardh

Re: Augspurger Mountain Hike (Oct 3, 2015)

Post by mjanardh » October 11th, 2015, 9:57 pm

This is my first TR, learning how to optimize pictures and put proper notes. Pardon the amateur quality but will promise to do better and chronicle the details to tell a story!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 12th, 2015, 5:40 am

thanks for the report

that's a nice hike, especially when it's drier there on the east side

I've only done Dog and a little way over in the direction of Augspurger

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » October 12th, 2015, 6:10 am

Good first TR! Augspurger is a fun long hike - summer or winter - even if the "summit" is vague at best.

cfm

Post by cfm » October 12th, 2015, 7:52 am

If you dont want to do all that mileage, this is an excellent bike shuttle. You can leave your bike near the north trailhead. It needs to be a mountain bike because of the gravel roads, very rugged if you approach from the east.

I did this via Cook Hill this summer on a day when Dog Mtn was a zoo, and I had absolute solitude. I think it was 4 hrs hiking and 30 minutes biking all down hill.

beag

Post by beag » October 12th, 2015, 8:35 am

Congratulations on hiking N Aug. Of course like CFM hike over Cook Hill to N Aug is really one of the best hikes for Views and Flower's. Would love to see more traffic up there to help keep trail open. Ryan O is leading a group up to N Aug this weekend to do some needed trail work. He could use some help from hikers who use this site. Salmonberry bushes need to be dug out. CFM, did you start at Cook Hill and ride through Mill A..

We have found the old CCT trail from N AUG to Triangle Pass. Soon it will be possible to backpack or do a Sean hike, starting at either Cook or Dog over N Aug then pick up CCT trail to Triangle Pass to Grassy Knoll to PCT and then return by Three Corner Rock, Burkenfeldt, Table Mountain to either The Hot Springs Hotel or Bridge of the Gods

miah66

Post by miah66 » October 12th, 2015, 10:21 am

beag wrote: We have found the old CCT trail from N AUG to Triangle Pass. Soon it will be possible to backpack or do a Sean hike, starting at either Cook or Dog over N Aug then pick up CCT trail to Triangle Pass to Grassy Knoll to PCT and then return by Three Corner Rock, Burkenfeldt, Table Mountain to either The Hot Springs Hotel or Bridge of the Gods
Wow! What an adventure that would be! :P
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

mjanardh

Post by mjanardh » October 12th, 2015, 6:47 pm

thanks everyone, feels wonderful to be part of the community and to learn and share.