Return to the Hiroshima Rock - 2015/10/04

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Return to the Hiroshima Rock - 2015/10/04

Post by Guy » October 5th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Opening Pic

Sunday Chiyoko & I decided on a return trip to the Hiroshima Rock just to make sure it was still there :) ..

I’m also working on my giant Mt. Hood gpx trails map project again and couldn’t find any good tracks of this area in my records so off we went.

I haven’t driven the road up to Cloud Cap since 2010 and after just a few miles I was reminded of why I hadn’t! Still we stuck with it & our beat up old Dodge PU that I normally don’t dare drive more than 50 miles from home got us to the top (& back down again)!

Bright Sunshine and sometimes a cold wind that came and went was the order of the day. You needed a couple of layers if you stopped in a windy spot but T shirt & shorts when the wind wasn’t blowing.

I wanted to get a gpx track of the direct route (straight up the East side moraine & ridge line) as well as a track of the official trail so we went up the direct route & came back down by way of the trail. The advantage of the direct route is that you have a full on view of the mountain for the whole climb with up close views of the Eliot Glacier.

Here are the stats:
The direct route is 2.5 miles to Hiroshima Rock from the Trailhead. The official trail with all the Switchbacks is 3.5 miles to the rock. The direct route averages a touch over 1000’ per mile.

Phew, the rock was still there....

We continued on to the end of the ridge trail about 8900’ at the 2.9 mile mark.

On the way along the ridge we saw 2 folks down on the Newton Clark Glacier. We later met them on our way back down it turned out to be Adam (Cascade Hiker) & his Dad. They had traveled cross country from Gnarl Ridge to Cooper Spur. I should have taken an EP style selfie with them but forgot! Well met guys!

I continued on for about another tenth of a mile past trail's end so that I could tag the 9000’ mark.

Looking up at the Chimney

Looking back to Chiyoko at Trail's end.

For an idea of scale can you spot me in this photo?

If not here's a hint...

The Newton Clark Glacier on the other side of the ridge was just as dramatic..

A final look at the Eliot from the top.

A quick selfie before hitting the road..

I believe this is called "Tie in Rock" but Chiyoko thinks it should be called Pear Rock :)

The trail was quite busy in the afternoon as we made our way back down. Not too surprising considering the fantastic weather!

A glorious day to be up on the mountain, all in all the hike came in at 7 miles (3 up & 4 down) with about 3300’ of Elevation gain.
A map below & a boat load of pics here.

Last edited by Guy on October 6th, 2015, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

adamschneider

Re: Return to the Hiroshima Rock - 2015/10/04

Post by adamschneider » October 5th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Why "Hiroshima" Rock? I've never heard it called that before.

Guy

Post by Guy » October 5th, 2015, 5:10 pm

We started calling it Hiroshima Rock in 2010 based on the Inscription. Full story here

Synopsis of the inscription:
Left side of the Rock reads Mie Ken Jin - Ito (Person from Mie State, [Mr.] Ito)

The Right side reads Hiroshima Ken Jin (Person from Hiroshima State)

Then in English:
July 17th 1910
Monument
[Mr.] S. Takahashi.

To date the reasons for the inscription remain a mystery.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » October 6th, 2015, 8:58 am

Guy wrote: Image

These are neat pics, Guy. Is the Chimney that gendarme sticking out of the right edge of the mountain in the lower pic?

Also, did you guys get HAIRCUTS? :shock:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Guy

Post by Guy » October 6th, 2015, 3:51 pm

Bosterson wrote:
These are neat pics, Guy. Is the Chimney that gendarme sticking out of the right edge of the mountain in the lower pic?
Yes that's it Nat.
Also, did you guys get HAIRCUTS? :shock:
Two for the price of one :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

chameleon

Post by chameleon » October 6th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Fantastic report! Amazing photos - I feel like I was right there! Thanks for the vicarious trip!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 7th, 2015, 6:37 am

Thanks, Guy - I needed that, if only to visit Hood vicariously! I've been tied down to a series of home projects this summer (spent the entire weekend, plus Monday, scraping paint... ugh...), so seriously deficient in Vitamins H(ood), G(ogre) and W(waterfalls)...! :) Great photos, as always, but you also captured my favorite time on the mountain: the first dusting of snow above the 7-8k level... love that!
I'll defer to the mountaineers on this, but Grauer calls this "Cathedral Spire".

BTW, Guy and Chiyoko helped me out on this blog article on Hiroshima Rock several years ago - theirs was the first translation I'd seen of the inscription.

Thanks, Guy!

Tom :-)

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 7th, 2015, 7:24 am

Splintercat wrote:Thanks, Guy - I needed that, if only to visit Hood vicariously! I've been tied down to a series of home projects this summer (spent the entire weekend, plus Monday, scraping paint... ugh...), so seriously deficient in Vitamins H(ood), G(ogre) and W(waterfalls)...! :) Great photos, as always, but you also captured my favorite time on the mountain: the first dusting of snow above the 7-8k level... love that!

I share your sentiments Splintercat.

Thanks for the trip report and great shots.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » October 7th, 2015, 7:10 pm

Cooper Spur just never disappoints. Ann
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

Guy

Post by Guy » October 9th, 2015, 5:41 am

I'll defer to the mountaineers on this, but Grauer calls this "Cathedral Spire".

Thanks for the name correction Tom.
Cooper Spur just never disappoints.
Very true Ann!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors