John Muir Trail, 2: Independence to Muir Trail Ranch

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
hikerbot

Re: John Muir Trail, 2: Independence to Muir Trail Ranch

Post by hikerbot » September 29th, 2015, 1:40 pm

RobinB wrote: Here's the thing about MTR: it's not a place for hikers. They'll of course gladly take your money to hold your resupply, but the resupply service is only a small part of their business, and the rest of the place is dedicated to... I don't know. Expensive rustic vacation rentals. It sort of felt like resupplying at Black Butte. If you go in expecting a hiker-friendly place, you'll be disappointed. But if you go in just wanting to get your food and get out, you'll get what you want.
We were on the trail, also NOBO, about five days ahead of you and Krista. We had a pleasant time at MTR, having spent the $$ on an overnight stay that we were able to get as walk-ins. The price wasn't unreasonable for what was offered, and not much more than Mt. Williamson; a private cabin for the night, showers, laundry, dinner, breakfast, a sack lunch, private hot springs, all you could eat chocolate chip cookies, and most importantly, the company of more than a dozen other JMT hikers from all over the country. Meals were buffet, eaten at communal tables, so we really got to spend a lot of time with our fellow hikers.

The resupply area was well organized, and there anywhere from 6 - 20 hikers there any any given time. Some were there for hours, just visiting or waiting for new goodies to show up in the hiker buckets.

I am sorry to hear about the misogynistic jerks that gave Krista a hard time at MTR. I am happy to say that I never saw that at all on the trail.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » September 29th, 2015, 3:04 pm

hikerbot wrote:We were on the trail, also NOBO, about five days ahead of you and Krista. We had a pleasant time at MTR, having spent the $$ on an overnight stay that we were able to get as walk-ins...
Yea, I've heard nothing but good things about what it's like to stay there. I think my point was that, in contrast with, say, Red's, where all the services are available to hikers just passing through, MTR seems more directed toward overnight guests, and if you go expecting something like Red's - where you can buy a beer, burger, laundry, shower, whatever - you'll be disappointed.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » October 4th, 2015, 6:29 am

What a wonderful trip!
Woodswalker

markh

Post by markh » October 6th, 2015, 12:46 pm

Pretty sure I was at Mono Creek Bridge the same time as you. I had lunch upstream from the bridge and remember being jealous of the couple with the nice seats in the smooth rock below the bridge!! Great pictures! Went SOBO and only had two evenings of smoke going over Muir and then Mather Passes before the rain cleared things up.

I was lucky enough to be able to stay at MTR overnight and had a great time. I think it's important to remember that Red's is on the road, and MTR is a 12 mile pack in. Their business is based around weekly rentals to groups. When they have room they open up to backpackers and are very accomodating and friendly. When I was there the hiker boxes were well organized, overflowing and I probably could have resupplied from them (lots of people bailed because of the smoke). The hiker box at Red's was basically nonexistent. MTR's efforts at arranging the hiker boxes are a big bonus for backpackers. I know that you weren't necessarily dissing MTR, but in the future if you can take advantage of what they have to offer it is a great experience. Once again really enjoyed your TR and glad you both decided to stick it out. Well worth it in my opinion. Mark