Threemile lake: Beatin’ the smoke and haze [8/22-23 2015]

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
wnshall

Threemile lake: Beatin’ the smoke and haze [8/22-23 2015]

Post by wnshall » August 28th, 2015, 8:43 pm

Last weekend I planned on taking my 10 year-old daughter on a one-night backpack trip. We were going to go to the Ollalie lakes area, but the forecast for smoke, haze, and red flag fire conditions had me casting about for other destinations. I settled on a hike to Threemile lake in the Oregon Dunes on the coast.

We started the hike at the trailhead in the Tahkenitch campground, after a 3 hr drive down the smoke-filled valley to Eugene and over to Florence. The trail climbs about 200’, undulates for about 1.5 miles and then descends for the remaining 1.5 miles to the lake. Early in the hike the trail traverses a hillside that is slowly creeping into the forest.

I'll let Amelia take the story from here:

The hike to three-mile lake was quit nice, with a sandy surprise!
There were great big sand slops; we had to cross them vertically!
IMG_7025_Email.jpg
Dune encroaching on Forest
IMG_7027_Email.jpg
Hiking across dune in Forest
[Dad: The lake is a long thin ribbon squeezed between two forested hills with fairly steep banks. ]
IMG_7038_Email.jpg
Threemile Lake
Though I enjoyed our stay, we had to scrounge around to find a place to pitch the tent. Because, we, like many other people tried to escape the hazy weather in Portland. And it also appeared that there weren’t many campsites to being with.

But we managed to find a suitable site to pitch the tent:
IMG_7047_Email_low.jpg
Campsite
Three mile lake looks half swamp half lake. The only way to get down to the lake is by three long steep sandy paths. Going down is SO fun, up… not so much.
IMG_7064_Email.jpg
Threemile Lake Beach
IMG_7059_Email_low.jpg
Slide to Beach
[Dad: We enjoyed a very red sunset, due to the offshore fog rather than smoke haze.]
IMG_7040_Email.jpg
Sunset.
It was surprisingly foggy in the morning.
IMG_7084_Email.jpg
Fog in trees
IMG_7057_Email.jpg
Threemile Lake in the fog
IMG_7083_Email.jpg
Threemile Lake in the fog
Later in the morning we went to the beach. We hiked across some (not really) dunes and through a sandy forest, then we walked along the beach. I walked through the water and my dad on the shore. There was no one else there.
IMG_7071_Email.jpg
Ocean Beach
IMG_7070_Email.jpg
Empty Beach
[Dad: I'll wrap up the TR from here.]
To return, we opted to hike a mile on the beach to Tahkenitch creek where we picked up the Dunes trail. You can also take a trail that parallels the coast through the fore-dunes. the Dunes trail then heads straight inland across loose sand and some open dunes before re-entering forest back to the trailhead.
IMG_7093_Email.jpg
Trek across the Dunes
As you can see, the dunes here are slowly being captured by grass and trees and don’t appear to be moved around by the wind much anymore. It was sad to reflect that probably in 20 years they will be completely forested as the rest of the hike is.

The temp at the trailhead at 4 pm was 59 degrees, about 30 degrees lower than the temp in Eugene on the drive home! Amazing! The coast turned out to be a welcome escape from the smokey haze and respite from the heat. All in all, a nice cool hike on the coast.

Paul2

Re: Threemile lake: Beatin’ the smoke and haze [8/22-23 2015

Post by Paul2 » August 29th, 2015, 8:42 am

Lovely! I did that hike as a day-hike loop once and it was a very diverse section of the coast. Looks like it was the perfect spot to go.
I've been wandering early and late, from New York City to the Golden Gate, and it don't look like I'll ever stop my wandering.
-James Taylor