Broken Glass at Salmon River (West Salmon) Trailhead

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
biketowork

Broken Glass at Salmon River (West Salmon) Trailhead

Post by biketowork » August 13th, 2015, 6:44 am

After hikes, I tend to get sidetracked forgetting to post any trip reports. Despite being distracted by play duty with our 7-month-old, Sky, last night. I logged in to start a report.

We got a late start, pulling into the Salmon River Trailhead (marked West Salmon Trailhead) at about noon. As we were getting our little guy prepared for the Salmon River Hike, I noticed the car next to us had a smashed in window in the back. If the apparent break-in wasn't enough to make me upset, I noticed the car had the same car seat as our little guy uses. Glass was on the seat. That really irked me.

We packed up and looked around to see if any other cars had broken windows. We noticed fresh glass on the Old Salmon River Trail side, but no other broken windows. We headed to Zigzag Ranger Station to report this incident. They let me call the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office where the dispatcher told me I could only report the incident if it was my car. Despite not being able to file anything formal, both the Sheriff's office and rangers were thankful for letting them know of the incident.

We ended up heading to Wildwood. Which was for the better. The bottoms separated from my boots providing extra air circulation, but making them a bit wobbly to walk in. Sky enjoyed the stream watch and river. We enjoyed the time he slept in the carrier while we strolled the easy trails.

sprengers4jc

Re: Broken Glass at Salmon River (West Salmon) Trailhead

Post by sprengers4jc » August 13th, 2015, 6:56 am

Thanks for the report. It is so unfortunate when ne'er-do-wells ruin things for those of us just trying to have a nice day out with the family :(. Wildwood is a nice backup plan, too. Did you guys see any fish in the StreamWatch?
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 13th, 2015, 7:13 am

Wildwood is a nice area to walk through. And over the bridge to the other side. Trail up Boulder Ridge is nice if you want a "real" hike.

biketowork

Post by biketowork » August 14th, 2015, 8:45 pm

The plan was to park there and do Boulder Ridge, but my left boot detached itself from the sole in the parking lot. It was just one of those days. Someone :roll: was telling us to take it easy. We ended up taking in the Stream Watch and strolling on the flat trails. Sky loved watching the fish and checking out the older kids playing in the water.

Stayhungry

Post by Stayhungry » November 24th, 2016, 11:33 am

Went for a hike with my girlfriend on 11/20/16. We had a great time and made it all the way to the bluff in about 2.5 hours with many stops for pictures and rest along the way. We spent about 15 minutes at the bluff and headed back down. Much to our dismay, when we returned to the trailhead my 2015 Subaru Outback had been broken into. Both drivers side windows were smashed and the thieves got away with my girlfriends purse (with ID, credit cards, and her car keys), a pair of keen boots, my racquetball gear, a Stanley roadside jumper and compressor, change tray, gerber multi tool, and my vehicle registration. To make things worse, 'y girlfriend and I were flying back home the next day and she was visiting from where she lives and the car keys in her purse that was stolen were needed for her car that was parked at the airport.

Perhaps my naivety and newness to the area got to me. My car still has out of state license plates on it but this blows for people that just want to come out and enjoy the beautiful Oregon scenery. Hopefully they start increasing patrols at trail heads in the future.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 24th, 2016, 12:42 pm

Damn, that stinks! It is a shame that such behavior is acceptable to a segment of our society.

Charley

Post by Charley » November 25th, 2016, 12:18 pm

Ouch! That's a bummer.

For everyone else reading: it's a good idea not to leave anything valuable in the car. Even under a towel or something, if the thieves see objects, they'll have a go. I have a few survival items under the canopy of my truck, but nothing I couldn't replace easily. Of course, it's a bummer to have to replace a window, too, but at least the thieves would only have gotten away with some water, blankets, and power bars. :)
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

chaussee

Post by chaussee » August 8th, 2018, 4:17 pm

In the afternoon on 8/02/18, I parked my car at the Old Salmon River Trailhead, which was littered with broken glass. I purposely left my car unlocked and empty inside. When I returned from backpacking on 8/04, I saw 4 other vehicles, and mine had their windows smashed out. They didn't even check my doors before breaking the window. (I should have left the glove box open.) I did not lose any valuables, because the car was empty. I did get robbed for $500, the cost of my comprehensive deductible! We need a hikers neighborhood watch team.

pcg

Post by pcg » August 9th, 2018, 6:53 am

chaussee wrote:
August 8th, 2018, 4:17 pm
In the afternoon on 8/02/18, I parked my car at the Old Salmon River Trailhead, which was littered with broken glass....We need a hikers neighborhood watch team.
...trail cam

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 11th, 2018, 8:22 am

Trail cams are pretty easy to destroy.