Tygh Creek Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Dolphin_57555

Tygh Creek Trail

Post by Dolphin_57555 » August 10th, 2015, 5:04 pm

Today, hiked Tygh Creek Trail #460. It's close to my boyfriends location, so we went exploring. Almost did not find the trailhead because the trailhead sign has been obliterated. After setting out, the trail runs closely to Tygh Creek, it meanders well and is gradual. There was one steep uphill section. Further on as we moved out of the Forest and into the scrub oak it became steeper and extreme in places. The condition of the trail was pretty good for a rarely used trail. There were a couple blow downs but easily navigable. Never lost the trail.
This is not a trail I would recommend for beginner hikers and or children. In places it reminded me of Starvation Creek and Mt Defiance for toughness. Toe cramping coming back down. A very tough and satisfying workout.
We also did a little trail clean up as we went. Lots of cow pie activity on the trail.

mattisnotfrench

Re: Tygh Creek Trail

Post by mattisnotfrench » August 10th, 2015, 5:30 pm

I love this hike! Thanks for doing a little maintenance - this trail could use it. Thanks!
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » August 11th, 2015, 7:20 am

Thanks for posting this. I love the Badger. How did the creek look. I was concerned a lot of those creeks wouldn't be running.
Woodswalker

Dolphin_57555

Post by Dolphin_57555 » August 16th, 2015, 12:17 pm

woodswalker wrote:Thanks for posting this. I love the Badger. How did the creek look. I was concerned a lot of those creeks wouldn't be running.
Woodswalker
The creek was running well but there was no other water anywhere else in the area. It was so very dry everywhere up there.
It was a really great strenuous hike.

Dolphin_57555

Post by Dolphin_57555 » August 16th, 2015, 12:27 pm

Dolphin_57555 wrote:
woodswalker wrote:Thanks for posting this. I love the Badger. How did the creek look. I was concerned a lot of those creeks wouldn't be running.
Woodswalker
The creek was running well but there was no other water anywhere else in the area. It was so very dry everywhere up there.
It was a really great strenuous hike.
We even had the privilege of seeing a cougar run in front of the truck about a 100ft away. Only the second I've ever seen in the wild in all my years out there.